Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Really starting to bug me.......

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 07:57 AM
GlennJenne
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Really starting to bug me.......

All, I have had the problem that several of you have had. I have a 2000 F250PSD with about 80K miles on it. It has been a great truck for the year I have owned it except for one little problem. The door ajar light stays on when I get in the truck if it is warm outside. After driving a little bit, the dome light will go off until I slow down or stop then it will come back on. The door ajar light stays on until the truck cools off inside. I tried the WD-40 thing a lot of you mentioned. I sprayed, using the little straw, into the small "rubber booted" hole in the front of the door where the small (about 3/4 inch wide) black metal thingy goes into the door on both front doors. That worked the first time I did it a couple of weeks ago. Now it is doing it again as the weather is warming. Any other ideas? Need some work? When I get home, I park the truck in the shade and the dome light/bed light eventually goes off after it cools.
Thanks, Glenn

Old 04-26-2004, 12:44 PM
strangmk
Freshman User
My 01 has the same problem every oncew in a while. I just give it another wd40 shot and it's good for quite a while again.

Old 04-26-2004, 06:04 PM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

It's kind of weird that the temperature of the truck makes a difference whether the lights are on or not. I had problems with my dome lights and the door ajar light on even when the doors are securely shut. I had to replace both sensors in the door to fix the problem. The door ajar sensor is in the door mounted on the latch at the back of the door, not the front of the door like other vehicles. I guess it is common that they go bad on the earlier trucks. So you might have to replace those sensors to cure your problem.

Old 04-26-2004, 06:28 PM
topdogg
Freshman User
I have been using a chain lube spray made by Penzoil, the results have been a little longer between problem reoccurring. My buddy had his replaced on 00 at dealer, but the problem is back. Mine is 01. Guess havn't heard of a good permenant fix.

Old 04-27-2004, 06:54 AM
GlennJenne
Freshman User
Thanks all for your replies, this is the best website with the best people and the best knowledge on the the entire internet! Not that I have visited all websites, wife gets mad if I go to some Ha!

Old 04-27-2004, 05:11 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
condensation??

this is just a guess for the reason of this problem but it may be condensation in the switch or connection. wd-40 displaces moisture. it may be a temp fix but not sure how the system is set up and the location of the switch but try to water proof it.

good luck
tjbeggs

Old 04-27-2004, 08:07 PM
cangim
Postmaster
If it bugs you that much, replace the sensors, isn't that much of a hassle for the irritation it seems to be causing you. So far, my problem is with the driver door, once in a blue moon it stays on, once you drop below 15mph the lights turn back on, that drives me nuts.

Old 04-27-2004, 10:31 PM
f350xlt460
Elder User
I started having the same problem. Door ajar light would stay on and the dome light would be on, untill i hit about 15 mph and above. Anything below 15 and the light would come on, nearly like clockwork. I just pulled the plug on the lock unit in the door (pass rear door, not used much).

Old 04-28-2004, 10:07 AM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by tjbeggs
this is just a guess for the reason of this problem but it may be condensation in the switch or connection. wd-40 displaces moisture. it may be a temp fix but not sure how the system is set up and the location of the switch but try to water proof it.
When I took my switches out they were just plain dirty. It probably didn't help that the previous owner used it as a farm truck and never cleaned, it so everything was pretty dirty. When I replaced mine, the dealer said it was common that they go bad, I guess they just weren't a good design or something. If you look at it there's a little button that gets pushed in and out when the door is either open or closed and it just got wore out and wouldn't move. Guessing a little spring in it gave out. The switch is located on the back side of the latch, when you are looking at the door with it open. I don't really think you can hit it with lube as it is well concealed in the door and I think the moving part is in the latch.
I would say the easiest fix is to just replace it instead of hoping the lights are gonna stay off when the doors are closed.

Old 04-28-2004, 10:30 AM
Fordtech1
Senior User
"I sprayed, using the little straw, into the small "rubber booted" hole in the front of the door where the small (about 3/4 inch wide) black metal thingy goes into the door on both front doors."

The door ajar switch is mounted on the bottom of the latch, other end of door. Spray into the latch and down, just rearward of the actual catch that locks the door on the striker. As far as cooling down, the lights are on a timer controlled by a battery saver relay, maybe this is just operating properly, to prevent the drain.

Old 04-28-2004, 11:43 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
I thought there was a recall on that switch problem. Check with the dealer. It is a very common problem in all truck lines.

Old 04-28-2004, 12:28 PM
GlennJenne
Freshman User
Boy, when I get this little problem fixed I am really going to know at least the door part of my truck! Thanks again all, you are the best!