Sponsored by: DP Tuner

performance chips?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2002, 05:11 AM
coachhomer
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
performance chips?

Which is the best chip? Opinions? Going to get one, just don't know which to choose. Does one do something the others don't? I'd love to see a debate on which one is the best and why.
Scott

Old 12-07-2002, 06:10 AM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
performance chips?

Here's my opinion, and what works well for me. I have a Diablo Delta chip, which has a three position toggle switch, allowing me to choose between three different programs. One program is my stock '95 TEE5 code. Another position of the toggle puts me into a TDE0 "tow" program, which gives me the better shift characteristics of that code, better torque convertor lock-up, plus an increase in power, but the EGT's are low enough to tow with it. The third position of the toggle switch puts me into a TDE0 "intercooler" program, which gives a tremendous increase in power, but is too hot to tow with. I can run around empty in the "intercooler" program, and switch to the "tow" position anytime I'm towing. To me, it's like having two chips, but I never have to remove/install anything. I can switch on-the-fly between the two optional programs, if need be, or I can switch back to "stock" once the ignition is turned off. Since a friend of mine sells chips, I've had the opportunity to reprogram the chip numerous times until I've found the programs that I like best. For me, this set-up works great.

Quadzilla
'95 F-350XLT Crew Cab SRW 4X4 PSD, 35X12.50X16.5's, Limited slip 4.10's, Hypermax downpipe, gutted EBPV, "Catless" in Seattle, "Renegade" 4" exhaust system, CTFD sticker, Air bags on all four corners, TYMAR intake, shimmed fpr, Diablo Delta chip, Fumoto valve, Autometer pyrometer, Sonnax valve, Tricumulator springs, Tru-Cool, HX mod, Magnefine tranny filter,
4R100 pan, Red Line synthetic in transfer case and both diffs, reverse shackle kit.
And a wish list that gets longer every day.
(Thank God for a wife that likes big trucks.)
Pictures: http://community.webshots.com/user/quadzilla100

Old 12-07-2002, 11:23 AM
Starratt04
Senior User
performance chips?

im with quad all the way diablo delta chip is the way to go you wont believe how much power this thing adds.

1999 F-250 4x4 S/C PSD Lariat Diablo Delta Chip,Pyrometer
1999 Mustang Cobra 4.56 gears,timing adjuster,short shifter,power pullies,flowmaster exhaust not cat's

Old 12-07-2002, 07:46 PM
hodgekuter
Senior User
performance chips?

I have a HYPERTECH power programmer which changes the flash chip settings from stock to power tune, etc. or re-programs it back to stock. Works excellent, good power, better mileage, more torque and much better throttle response.

HKuter

Old 12-07-2002, 09:29 PM
motobub
Senior User
performance chips?

just wondering how much these things cost?
thanks,
lars

Old 12-07-2002, 11:46 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
performance chips?

http://motorhaven.autoanything.com/cgi-bin/Web_store/webshop.cgi?yearmodel=&product=diablochips

http://motorhaven.autoanything.com/cgi-bin/Web_store/webshop.cgi?yearmodel=&product=superchips

Old 12-08-2002, 08:17 AM
rescuebob
Freshman User
performance chips?

I bought the DiabloSport 78 hp chip for my 99 PSD. I need to put in a pyrometer before I tow anything. I wish that I had gotten the Delta chip, the price is only about $20 more, and it gives you more flexability. My boss just bought a 2000 F-350 with the PSD, and I drove it at the dealers while he was out of town to see if it was worth buying, I was amazed at the power difference between one with a chip and one without. I didn't want a programer, just for the simple fact that I don't know enough about how the truck works, I don't want to program something wrong and end up replacing an engine and/or a tranny.
I alway joke about one of the guys here on base screwing me over with my chip. I wasn't going to get one, until he let me drive his with the chip. You will find that even with the same chip, there are differences between performance between model years.
My advice is to see if there are people around you with different chips, so you can drive their trucks and see how they feel. As I said earlier, if I could do it again, I would have gotten a Delta (if anyone out there wants to buy my chip so I can upgrade, I can work a deal! LOL). I haven't seen the newer owners manuals, but I have heard that putting a chip in can void your warranty, and you would have to refer to threads on that disussion to get the full story.
In short, I love my DiabloSport chip, and if I could do it over, I would get a switchable. The power difference is amazing, and I wouldn't own an unchipped truck. Hope my opinion helps.

bob

Old 12-08-2002, 08:49 AM
RMB
New User
performance chips?