1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Don't Buy TS.... Buy TW!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 06:10 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Arrow Don't Buy TS.... Buy TW!!!

Hey guys, so my transmission has continued to give me nothing but truoble ever since I put the TS chip in. The shifts have been way to hard, and the 2-3 slip/shift T/C lock/unlock nonsince needed to stop. I put SEVERAL calls into long island diesel performance.... NO ANSWERS. Don't do buisness with them. Great to deal with to make the sale... but don't back there products. Next I called MassDiesel. Talked to the owner Scott. He's a bit arrogant to begin with, and thinks that he is the only one that knows what he is talking about (sorry just venting here... still a little P/Oed at him...) bottom line, he Didn't have a clue either, and wanted to charge 80 bucks an hour for about 3 hours and made no promises of getting chip working ok. Yea sure Scott, whatever you say... Then I called TS, figured they MUST know somwthing! NOPE!!! nothing. "yea must be your T/C and/or trans". I kept geting this as an answer even though I explained to them that the truck shifts better W/O chip, on crappy NAW6 PCM!!! IT SHOULDN'T BE LIKE THAT!!!!!! SO!

I called Tony Wildman, explained my problem and got this as a response, "Yep, no problem, I can fix that"... should have got my chip from him in the first place. What a waste of time. Chip is going out tomorrow for a re-burn. I'll keep everyone posted on how the new chip is. Excited, juat not looking forward to driving my truck around STOCK

-Robb

Old 02-25-2008, 06:17 PM
secondarychaos
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
awesome info, gotta keep the vendors straight!!!

Old 02-25-2008, 06:25 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there are only two names you need to know for Chip. Tony Wildman (Total Diesel Performance) and Jody Tipton (Dp-Tuner). plain and simple.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:25 PM
MADVAN
Postmaster
Good deal Robb!
Sometimes its baby steps to get where you are going.
First learn to walk. Then comes running!
You get my drift.

Bill

Old 02-25-2008, 06:26 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
And a BIGthank you goes out to Bill, Tim, and others for helping me get on the right path!!!! Thanks guys!!!

Tim, Can't agree more... you said it, TW or DP OR NOTHING!!! Everything else is a waste of time!!!

-Robb

Old 02-25-2008, 08:49 PM
kc2006
Senior User
Thats weird, I have a ts and never had an issue. I'd go with the two big ones next time if I wanted big power, but for my truck I just wanted the 50/75 tune and high idle and couldn't see spending twice as much.

Good luck with it all.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:07 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by kc2006
Thats weird, I have a ts and never had an issue. I'd go with the two big ones next time if I wanted big power, but for my truck I just wanted the 50/75 tune and high idle and couldn't see spending twice as much.

Good luck with it all.
Wow, glad that yours is working ok! maybe you had someone burn it who knew what they were doing. How much did that 3-position chip run you? TW is 375 for a 3 position chip... ALSO how does your trans shift with TS when your on the pedal some in the 75 HP? Mine if i was over 3/4 throttle it shifted like crap.

-Robb

Old 02-25-2008, 09:20 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

yes TS chips have many different peoples programs on them. TS used to be the main Chip (hardware) vendor, now there are others in the game.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:20 PM
kc2006
Senior User
I got the 6 position, thats all they offer i think? I got the high idle, the 50 75 100 and 120. I mainly wanted the two low settings and the high idle (I love high idle, so great to have in the morning to warm the truck up).

75 hp, shifts fine, firm shifts. I have sunnex valve and tricumulator springs in the trans, I didn't really notice any shifting difference with the chip. I've even gotten on the throttle pulling my trailer, had about 5,000lbs behind me full throttle and it didn't shift sloppy.

Put it in the 120 setting and TC lockup and overdrive are mush. But I don't really use it on that setting since the truck can't utualize it (no injectors). I paid 225 on ebay for the chip, it was going on a work truck where I wanted alittle more power. lol key word, alittle. I didn't expect anything great from it. But i figured it'd be better then a programmer.

My next truck will have a DP tuner on it.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:25 PM
MADVAN
Postmaster
Originally Posted by tjbeggs
yes TS chips have many different peoples programs on them. TS used to be the main Chip (hardware) vendor, now there are others in the game.
Me and Robb were trying to figure what is the deal on that.
1 over writing another. No lock. Hmm. Sounds like cut and paste on the software to me.

Bill

Old 02-25-2008, 09:42 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by MADVAN
Me and Robb were trying to figure what is the deal on that.
1 over writing another. No lock. Hmm. Sounds like cut and paste on the software to me.

Bill
Yea, I wish I could see what they were looking at with these programs. I'm pretty handy with a computer. (I know that it must take more skill that that... but I don't think some of these dealers have much computer programing skills...)
I'm thinking that places like LIDP or the like have a page that says something like "TS: Select yeat. Select Postion 1 setting:..." etc. I can't imagine that they actually get into programing, mapping etc...

NOW! on the other hand, TW and DP GET INTO THE PROGRAMING. they can tweek things inside. I want to see what there looking at, wish this darn chip had a USB connector, I'd be inside it with some of the electrical engineers here and tweek the thing myself! (then mess it up and sent it to TW anyways...)

-Robb

Old 02-26-2008, 01:02 AM
jdap
Senior User
When I get the chance I am definitely going to go with a TW or DP. I wasn't too sure before I read this thread but now I am 100% certain. Thanks and you got some rep.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:13 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by Robbgt
Yea, I wish I could see what they were looking at with these programs. I'm pretty handy with a computer. (I know that it must take more skill that that... but I don't think some of these dealers have much computer programing skills...)
I'm thinking that places like LIDP or the like have a page that says something like "TS: Select yeat. Select Postion 1 setting:..." etc. I can't imagine that they actually get into programing, mapping etc...

NOW! on the other hand, TW and DP GET INTO THE PROGRAMING. they can tweek things inside. I want to see what there looking at, wish this darn chip had a USB connector, I'd be inside it with some of the electrical engineers here and tweek the thing myself! (then mess it up and sent it to TW anyways...)

-Robb
Robb here is a site that will interest you!
http://www.moates.net/
I emailed them a few weeks ago and got no reply about what hardware and software would be needed to burn chips for our trucks. I think I know why they didn't respond but I can't be certain. There are even some free editor programs. Look around there is alot of cool stuff!

Old 02-26-2008, 07:35 AM
DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by tjbeggs
Robb here is a site that will interest you!
http://www.moates.net/
I emailed them a few weeks ago and got no reply about what hardware and software would be needed to burn chips for our trucks. I think I know why they didn't respond but I can't be certain. There are even some free editor programs. Look around there is alot of cool stuff!
The F3 chip that they sell on their site will work on a diesel, but the software they sell is not for diesel applications. Just like F5 is compatible for ECCiv ECCv gas applications.

If you want a chip for your Diesel that is from Moates.net you will need to get the F5 chip from us. We are the only ones that can write programs for it and sell it. We had the F5 designed exclusively for us.

Thanks,

Diane

Get Tuned! 828-221-0076 ext. 802
Become our Facebook Fan
Old 02-26-2008, 07:43 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

thanks Diane! I figured that what the deal was. Really when it comes down to it, it would take a long time to figure out the programming and I could never come close to what Jody and TW come out with. It would be much like a tinker toy but not worth the cost in my mind.

Sniper tuning would probably be the best way for a guy who just wanted to play.

Quick Reply: Don't Buy TS.... Buy TW!!!