Upgrading the 3.0 Vulcan

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 05:06 PM
ginyu6869
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Upgrading the 3.0 Vulcan

Someone please help...I am trying to upgrade my 93 taurus with the 3.0 Vulcan motor...I was wondering if the Ranger and the Taurus," since they have the same motor", could use the same parts....as in if the cams were different, or rockers.... I have noticed that they offer mods for this motor for the Ranger and not the Taurus.... If they are different, then someone please correct me... I have been searching for this kind of info for a long time now, and haven't gotten much of a response, only that one is fwd, and the other is rwd...This is not help!!! I would like to know what else could be used between the two for this motor.... I already know that the pulleys should be usable, correct me if I am wrong now please... Both motor are have the 3.0 and the U engine code... I really would like to have those high performance cams and roller rockers for this motor, and anything else... Many are waiting on this response, so please, if you know anything please post... NOTE: "IF YOU KNOW ANYTHING"....I thinks dont help much, NOT BEING MEAN..... What about he intake as well? To my knowledge, the valves and displacement is the same size.....

HELP: Thanks

Old 03-23-2004, 06:18 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!

With regard to camshafts and kits, if a company says it can do something for the Ranger "U" vulcan engine, then they can do the same thing for your Taurus "U" vulcan engine.

Have you tried contacting these peformance companies directly and and telling them what you are looking for?

Old 03-23-2004, 10:11 PM
ginyu6869
New User
No... I did not ask them to make anything for my taurus specificly, I didnt and still dont know if they use the same cam or anything else...I dont know much about the ranger, but I know alot about the vulcan engine... I really need to find out if they have the same cam and etc... I am really confused in this question and I really thank you for your help... If anyone can give me more info on this matter it will be really appreciated.... thanks man!!! Alot... Its good to know that people care and that they have sites like this...I have posted this question on many sites already....

Old 04-09-2004, 08:32 PM
rebturtle
Mountain Pass
Just chiming in so I can watch this subject, too. I threw a 3.0 out of a Taurus into my '91 Ranger a couple years ago and wonder if I'm restricted to Taurus-only engine parts. The swap was simple - I only had to transfer the old brackets & manifolds to the "new" ('93) motor. It thinks it's a racecar, and I'm not gonna tell it any different...

<---Not the same truck as pictured....

Old 04-19-2004, 06:04 PM
rebturtle
Mountain Pass
I talked to the guy at the local Ford Parts Dept. and asked him about this. He said there are several internal differences including but not limited to the Heads & Cam between 3.0 models. The Taurus, he stated, is sometimes used as a police vehicle, and is set up as more of a cruiser. Explains why my Ranger thinks it's Rusty Wallace's personal street racer. The motor just doesn't realize it's in a truck!! This spawns another question: Which computer would it be better to use? -The one that matches the vehicle, or the one that matches the motor? (I have both available)

Old 04-19-2004, 07:51 PM
jkorreck
Senior User
Originally Posted by rebturtle
Just chiming in so I can watch this subject, too. I threw a 3.0 out of a Taurus into my '91 Ranger a couple years ago and wonder if I'm restricted to Taurus-only engine parts. The swap was simple - I only had to transfer the old brackets & manifolds to the "new" ('93) motor. It thinks it's a racecar, and I'm not gonna tell it any different...

<---Not the same truck as pictured....
Been thinking of doing the same thing to my aerostar that you did to your ranger, I have a taurus motor that I could rebuild then swap into mine. Some people have said that the blocks wouldn't line up right for the mounts though. Did you have any such problems with your swap?

Old 04-19-2004, 08:24 PM
rebturtle
Mountain Pass
Absolutely none. I had to swap manifolds & accessory brackets, but the block itself was identical. Simple bolt-in, just like the original. All the same holes, etc. In fact, if anyone ever looked at a motor and wondered what the extra threaded holes, tabs & stuff were for, it was probably for cross-vehicle applications just like this.

Unrelated, but other mods (for this Ranger) include rear sway bar off of '88 Bronco II, '99 (15x7) Rims w/p225/60 BFG T/A Radials, Bosh +4 Platinum Plugs, and K&N Filter. She doesn't look like much, but goes fast and looooooves corners!

Last edited by rebturtle; 04-19-2004 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:37 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by rebturtle
Absolutely none. I had to swap manifolds & accessory brackets, but the block itself was identical. Simple bolt-in, just like the original. All the same holes, etc. In fact, if anyone ever looked at a motor and wondered what the extra threaded holes, tabs & stuff were for, it was probably for cross-vehicle applications just like this...
Good stuff, thanks for the feedback on this.

Sounds like your swap went quite well.