What mods for saving some gas-HELP!! - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

What mods for saving some gas-HELP!!

Old 03-23-2004, 03:05 PM
Black Knight
New User
Black Knight is starting off with a positive reputation.
Unhappy What mods for saving some gas-HELP!!

I have a 2000 F-150 extcab fender flares with 50k miles--STOCK. I'm looking for mods that can add at least a bit more mpg. I live here in S. Florida. Summer is coming and it's goin to be in the 90s which will consume more gas. I'm going to have to use the A/C which will hog up even more gas.

Please if anyone knows of any mods I can buy that will help for gas consuption, please let me know

Old 03-23-2004, 06:45 PM
true4.2
Postmaster
true4.2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Getting better airflow in and out of the truck improves gas mileage. Mods to get: Air Intake, Headers, Full Exhaust

Old 03-24-2004, 05:48 AM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster
Jimmy Dean has a very good reputation on FTE.Jimmy Dean has a very good reputation on FTE.Jimmy Dean has a very good reputation on FTE.Jimmy Dean has a very good reputation on FTE.
Roll down the windows, there is a cheap mod. 2-90 A/C
2 windows, 90 miles an hour

Old 03-24-2004, 06:33 AM
sigma
Senior User
sigma is starting off with a positive reputation.
The wide variation in mileage for our trucks has always bugged me. If you look at the MPG poll https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...hreadid=195870 you will see that the trucks fall in a nice normal distribution ranging from 12 to 22 MPG. Most people have the same mods Ė Intake, exhaust, and chip and yet some trucks get 10 plus more MPG. I canít believe that the brand of intake or chip or type of exhaust could possibly double the MPG.

From my own experience my truck got 18 to 21 MPG stock, mileage stayed the same when I put a K&N filter into the stock housing, and remained unchanged when I pulled out the stock intake and put in an Airforce1. When I took off the stock exhaust and went with a SIDO muffler I picked up an extra one-MPG. When I ditched the SIDO and went with true duels I got another tiny bump in my average MPG. There is a small increase in mileage in the performance over stock settings with the chip, but I drive more aggressively in the performance setting so I net out even.

There are certainly weight considerations from cab size and bed lengths that could affect MPG. I loose a couple MPG when I pull my ski boat.

The MPG range could be related to model year or computer code, but my bet is that it is a function of tuning.

If the plugs have been in there a while, pull them and make sure they are gapped correctly, spray out the MAF with throttle body cleaner, run Seafoam through the intake, clean or change the filers and put in fresh oil. Check your MPG again and see what happens.

Old 03-24-2004, 10:00 AM
Inda Bonda
Senior User
Inda Bonda is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally posted by Jimmy Dean
Roll down the windows, there is a cheap mod. 2-90 A/C
2 windows, 90 miles an hour

This is how I increased to 8 more mpg:

Got rid of the fat mother-in-law from the bed of the truck. I was using her for weight in the snow.

Old 03-24-2004, 10:42 AM
Busa01
Postmaster
Busa01 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Black,

I live in Pompano Beach. My truck gets under 13mpg without the a/c also. Don't waste your money on anything, there is nothing you can do to significantly increase mileage. Even if you were to spend 300.00 on some mods that yielded 1 - 2 mpg more, how long and how many miles would it take for you to get your 300 bucks back. Your truck (and mine) sucks gas like mad and there's nothing you can do about it.

I save my truck for the weekends and commute to work on a Suzuki DR650, which gets 43mpg. That's how I solved my problem.

Tom

Old 03-27-2004, 02:26 PM
kman2785
Junior User
kman2785 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey,

I just read this post and had a few questions.

If the plugs have been in there a while, pull them and make sure they are gapped correctly, spray out the MAF with throttle body cleaner, run Seafoam through the intake, clean or change the filers and put in fresh oil. Check your MPG again and see what happens.

What is seafoam adn the significance of running i through your intake, also spraying your MAF with intake cleaner?

Thanks Kman

Old 03-28-2004, 08:10 AM
sigma
Senior User
Seafoam is a great cleaner. Running it through the intake removes carbon buildup in the intake caused by the EGR and cleans any oil in the intake that may have gotten though the PCV. Keeping the MAF clean insures you are providing correct air flow data to the computer. If the MAF is dirty the computer will not know if it has the correct air to fuel ratio.

Old 03-28-2004, 10:22 AM
kman2785
Junior User
kman2785 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Oh, ok

where can i get seafoam?

I looked at checker and they dont have any!

Thanks, kman

Old 03-28-2004, 05:20 PM
Drizzt
Senior User
Drizzt is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
keep in mind htat how you drive makes a HUUUUGE impact on your mileage

Old 03-29-2004, 06:10 AM
sigma
Senior User
NAPA sells Seafoam

Old 03-29-2004, 08:37 AM
Busa01
Postmaster
I've tried driving like a complete grandma, accelerating slower than any senior citizen on the road driving a Buick, and I've tried driving completely normal and found that my gas mileage was the same.

No matter how I drive, it's always the same. And my motor is tuned perfectly and only has 14K miles on it. Plugs, wires, K&N..everything is brand new and I still get under 13mpg.

Still though, this "Sea Foam" has raised my curiousity. I'm going to get a can just to read the back of it while pinchin' a loaf in the john.

Old 03-29-2004, 09:17 AM
Inda Bonda
Senior User
Inda Bonda is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Busa01
Still though, this "Sea Foam" has raised my curiousity. I'm going to get a can just to read the back of it while pinchin' a loaf in the john.
Man, you kill me.

Old 03-29-2004, 09:21 AM
Busa01
Postmaster
Hey, I gotta have something interesting to read. The back of shampoo bottles and hair spray just aren't interesting enough anymore. I need fresh material man!!!!

Old 03-29-2004, 11:15 PM
Drizzt
Senior User
Drizzt is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
has your speedo been re-calibrated for the larger tires?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What mods for saving some gas-HELP!!

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.