Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   3.8 & 4.2L V6 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum50/)
-   -   What mods for saving some gas-HELP!! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/221244-what-mods-for-saving-some-gas-help.html)

Black Knight 03-23-2004 02:05 PM

What mods for saving some gas-HELP!!

I have a 2000 F-150 extcab fender flares with 50k miles--STOCK. I'm looking for mods that can add at least a bit more mpg. I live here in S. Florida. Summer is coming and it's goin to be in the 90s which will consume more gas. I'm going to have to use the A/C which will hog up even more gas.

Please if anyone knows of any mods I can buy that will help for gas consuption, please let me know
:(

true4.2 03-23-2004 05:45 PM

Getting better airflow in and out of the truck improves gas mileage. Mods to get: Air Intake, Headers, Full Exhaust

Jimmy Dean 03-24-2004 04:48 AM

Roll down the windows, there is a cheap mod. 2-90 A/C
2 windows, 90 miles an hour

sigma 03-24-2004 05:33 AM

The wide variation in mileage for our trucks has always bugged me. If you look at the MPG poll https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...hreadid=195870 you will see that the trucks fall in a nice normal distribution ranging from 12 to 22 MPG. Most people have the same mods – Intake, exhaust, and chip and yet some trucks get 10 plus more MPG. I can’t believe that the brand of intake or chip or type of exhaust could possibly double the MPG.

From my own experience my truck got 18 to 21 MPG stock, mileage stayed the same when I put a K&N filter into the stock housing, and remained unchanged when I pulled out the stock intake and put in an Airforce1. When I took off the stock exhaust and went with a SIDO muffler I picked up an extra one-MPG. When I ditched the SIDO and went with true duels I got another tiny bump in my average MPG. There is a small increase in mileage in the performance over stock settings with the chip, but I drive more aggressively in the performance setting so I net out even.

There are certainly weight considerations from cab size and bed lengths that could affect MPG. I loose a couple MPG when I pull my ski boat.

The MPG range could be related to model year or computer code, but my bet is that it is a function of tuning.

If the plugs have been in there a while, pull them and make sure they are gapped correctly, spray out the MAF with throttle body cleaner, run Seafoam through the intake, clean or change the filers and put in fresh oil. Check your MPG again and see what happens.

Inda Bonda 03-24-2004 09:00 AM

Originally posted by Jimmy Dean
Roll down the windows, there is a cheap mod. 2-90 A/C
2 windows, 90 miles an hour

This is how I increased to 8 more mpg:

Got rid of the fat mother-in-law from the bed of the truck. I was using her for weight in the snow.

Busa01 03-24-2004 09:42 AM

Black,

I live in Pompano Beach. My truck gets under 13mpg without the a/c also. Don't waste your money on anything, there is nothing you can do to significantly increase mileage. Even if you were to spend 300.00 on some mods that yielded 1 - 2 mpg more, how long and how many miles would it take for you to get your 300 bucks back. Your truck (and mine) sucks gas like mad and there's nothing you can do about it.

I save my truck for the weekends and commute to work on a Suzuki DR650, which gets 43mpg. That's how I solved my problem.

Tom

kman2785 03-27-2004 01:26 PM

Hey,

I just read this post and had a few questions.

If the plugs have been in there a while, pull them and make sure they are gapped correctly, spray out the MAF with throttle body cleaner, run Seafoam through the intake, clean or change the filers and put in fresh oil. Check your MPG again and see what happens.

What is seafoam adn the significance of running i through your intake, also spraying your MAF with intake cleaner?

Thanks Kman

sigma 03-28-2004 07:10 AM

Seafoam is a great cleaner. Running it through the intake removes carbon buildup in the intake caused by the EGR and cleans any oil in the intake that may have gotten though the PCV. Keeping the MAF clean insures you are providing correct air flow data to the computer. If the MAF is dirty the computer will not know if it has the correct air to fuel ratio.

kman2785 03-28-2004 09:22 AM

Oh, ok

where can i get seafoam?

I looked at checker and they dont have any!

Thanks, kman

Drizzt 03-28-2004 04:20 PM

keep in mind htat how you drive makes a HUUUUGE impact on your mileage

sigma 03-29-2004 05:10 AM

NAPA sells Seafoam

Busa01 03-29-2004 07:37 AM

I've tried driving like a complete grandma, accelerating slower than any senior citizen on the road driving a Buick, and I've tried driving completely normal and found that my gas mileage was the same.

No matter how I drive, it's always the same. And my motor is tuned perfectly and only has 14K miles on it. Plugs, wires, K&N..everything is brand new and I still get under 13mpg.

Still though, this "Sea Foam" has raised my curiousity. I'm going to get a can just to read the back of it while pinchin' a loaf in the john. :)

Inda Bonda 03-29-2004 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Busa01
Still though, this "Sea Foam" has raised my curiousity. I'm going to get a can just to read the back of it while pinchin' a loaf in the john. :)

Man, you kill me. :-X24

Busa01 03-29-2004 08:21 AM

Hey, I gotta have something interesting to read. The back of shampoo bottles and hair spray just aren't interesting enough anymore. I need fresh material man!!!!

Drizzt 03-29-2004 10:15 PM

has your speedo been re-calibrated for the larger tires?