Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

TIRES? P.Jones, Swampers, BFGs??

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 10:40 PM
78bigbronco
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In addition.... as far as deep mud and cleaning go the MTR's , BFG M/T's and pernelli's are going to be about the same. They are a more all-terrain style mud tire. Thats why the handle SO MUCH BETTER THAN SWAMPER BOGGERS and similar mud tires on the road and in slippery conditions (rain/snow). No doubt, boggers and similiar are the ultimate deep mud tire, and the ultimate cool looking tire. But this thread was about a street driven vehicle, good tread wear, handle the muddy worksite, and noise wasnt an issue (although in MTR's defense they are much quiter than any mud tires I have owned or been in a vehicle with as of yet.

Alot of ppl dont know much about the MTR's because there fairly new compared to the BFg's that have been out for many years. Fact is, nobady can tell you what tire to get. We can only tell you about our experiences with, or second hand knowledga about such things. And you gotta take it all in and weigh the factors. But I'll tell you you cant go wrong with any of em that are mentioned for a great on/off road truck!

And a few FYI's... The tread wear doesnt 'typicaly' relate to off road performance. But most deep mud tires dont get good tread wear because they arent designed too. Large tread lugs with no siping get much hotter and literaly melt off the tire as your driving down the road. Think if you could take the big lug and make a few small slits in it is like adding vents to it and making it more flexable. There is less tread there too because of the huge gaps so the tread that is there gets 'used up quicker' (this depends on the tire though). They have less leading edges to grab smoother surfaces especially ice and wet pavement, and can even hydroplane on water in the right conditions. Although mud tires can be altered by siping and cutting to perform better in certain situations. I have super swamper tsl's on my bronc now and wouldnt buy em for a strret vehicle unless you couldnt afford something better. Depends on were you live too (if you have a bad winter, etc.).

Old 02-27-2004, 04:20 AM
stealth1
Senior User
Just put 33x12.5 BFG-s on my 2002 CC PSD and love them!!! Look awesome ride great, low noise. No report on how long they last. Although I have not brought myself to go muddin just yet. Only had the truck 2 weeks.. I gotta let the new wear off a little first..

Old 02-27-2004, 04:27 AM
85351ho
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mtr's have a softer compound, so they will wear faster than bfg's

Old 02-28-2004, 10:28 AM
toddnga2002
Junior User
I have to aggree with bigdawg. MTR's can kiss it. They are probably the worst tire i ever had. I had a set of 315's and they rode good for about 5k miles and after that they sucked. Although they loook good they wear terrible and slick up in the mud. I currently have 36x14.5x16 and thaey are about shot too. I have put about 20k miles on them. They arer better than the mtr's but i will probably not get another set. I am too in the market for some tires. Its hard too find a big tire that looks good, and rides good in mud and pavement and wears good. I am debating between the swamper SSR's and the baja radial claws. I had a set of 33x12.50 bfg MT's on an older truck of mine a while back and they were by far better than the mtr's and Pj's. In fact if tehy made a 36 or 37 in the new bfg's i would go with those. Anyway hope this helps.

Old 02-28-2004, 06:17 PM
78bigbronco
Fleet Mechanic
Just too mention a few more things.

Here is a good site with reviews on the MT/R's (the good, the bad, the ugly)
http://ar.geocities.com/hiluxsw4/reviewscubiertas.htm

I also hope people understand these arent the goodyear MT's, they are the MT/R's which are different. And also (not necessarily pertaining to MT/R's, but in general) people tend to compare apples and oranges. For example a friend had BFG's on his truck and complained they didnt clean and slicked up in the mud. He said they were junk. But my other friend insisted that was nonsense so he put em on his truck inplace of his ssr's. They did fine, infact he licked em better than the ssr's. The main difference here was open diff verses detroit. ANd the guy who thought they were junk was very surprised. Alot has to do with other factors, just keep that in mind. And most ppl (including myself) cant give very good comparisons because we dont have 3 different types of tires laying around to try out on the same vehicle in the same conditions.

Treadware has alot to do with the weight of the vehicle too LOL! My buddy with MT/R's hasnt had em long enough to notice any wear. Elseweres I have heard both good and bad for treadware so I cant say for sure. But the MT/R's supposed to have 75% more treadware than the original MT's (according to goodyear), so I cant beleive that its quite as horrible as some have mentioned (when ppl say they have less treadwear than boggers I really wonder about those folks?!?).

I thought I would post a price list for anyone that might be interested. Prices are from 4wheel parts wholesalers. Although i should not that Discount tire could get me slightly better prices but I dont have em to compare. I also used 37x12.5x17 size for a standardized comparison. I also threw in a couple more tires that werent in this discussion.

BFG ALL TERRAIN KO 37x12.5x17 $319
BFG MUD TERRAIN KM 37x12.5x17 $261
BFG KRAWLER KM 37x12.5x17 $409
GDY WRANGLER MT/R 37x12.5x17 $234
SS RADIAL SSR 37x12.5x17 $260
SS TRXUS RADIAL 35x12.5x17 $204 *not available in 37"

...and from Desert Rat
M/T CLAW RADIAL 35x12.5X17 $215
M/T CLAW RADIAL 37x13.5X17 $370
PJ DIRT GRIP 37x12.5x17 $275

Good luck choosing a tire...

Old 02-29-2004, 06:12 AM
Bassgetter
Junior User
I love my BFGs. Sold on 'em 100% They've done me good all the way around. Just my 2 cents though.

Old 02-29-2004, 01:41 PM
ncl
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My uncle has a set of swamper trxus mt radials he loves them they are quiet on the road they wear good on the mileage and perform very well in the rain they do better than his bfg alterrain in the rain. And they kick butt in the mud. And are very affordable and they look awesome.

Old 02-29-2004, 07:21 PM
78bigbronco
Fleet Mechanic
I had wondered about the super swamper trxus radial myself, as they would be in the runnings against the mt/r, bfg, pernellis, and such. But I honestly dont know anyone who has em or read any reviews on em yet. They are new as of this last year I think? There supposed to be "smooth, super quiet ride with tough thick sidewalls". They look pretty good, kinda somewheres between the SSR's and the bfg mt / gdyr mt/r. Anyone else know much about the Trxus? The only problem I have is I want 37's on my bronc, but maybe they will go on my '99 when my factory tires go. Currently I have seen 35x12.5 as the largest available.

Super swamper also has the new Irok tire, although I dont know much about it either, but I am guessing its more of a serious mud tire by the spacing of the tread lugs.

Old 02-29-2004, 07:39 PM
{OF}Smiley
Senior User
I've got 15k miles on my PJ 38x15s on my F350 and judging by the wear so far they will last 50-60k miles. I love them, as soon as my Jeep's BFG MTs are worn out I will be replacing them with some PJs too. The Pjs work much better than the MTs on snow and ice and match or exceed them everywhere else I tried them.

Old 02-29-2004, 09:18 PM
ncl
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I do believe petersen 4x4 tested all the mud tires a few issues back and they tested the BFG, MTR,Trxus mt, TSL and couple others I think the bfg won but they are biased cause I think bfg is one of their sponsors. The trxus was one of the top two, the mtrs did not rate too well.

Old 03-01-2004, 04:42 PM
78bigbronco
Fleet Mechanic
Well, I havent been able to find that issue of petersons 4 wheel (got it somewheres), but they reviewed the MT/R also in Sept '03 when they first released the 40" size. Itr seemed as though they loved the tire, although they didnt really test em in the deep mud they were surprised how well their road manners were and trail/rock/snow. Here are some quotes:

"As far as mud tires go, the MT/R is one of the most versatile designs on the market and has proven effective on the rocks, dirt, and street. It even impressed us with its wet pavement traction-" "-the tire grips like the 37" version that has won so many RCAA events. ...If these were soft-compound, competition only tires we would find out real fast! ...-how quiet the tires were compared to other 40-inch bias-ply tires."

They tested em on there heaviest vehicle (f-250 super duty) for 5,000 miles. The tires are rated at 3,195 lbs @ 35psi. "The tires have worn better than expected and never misbehaved.

That magazine is most of the reason I like the MT/R's, they have given em great reviews multiple times and the success they have had in competition and from the featured vehicles in the magazine (even before my friend had em I wanted them).

Old 03-04-2004, 02:32 PM
CAT_man_963
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for all the input everyone. I'm gonna go with BFG mt's. I like the look of the Goodyears - but I can't get nearly as good a price on them and I'd rather get something that I KNOW so many people have had good experience with. So B.F. Goodrich it is!! Thanks all!