1970 Mustang 351c

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 08:30 PM
carlo
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1970 Mustang 351c

Ok guys, Looks like the truck might go....but a Mustang will be a nice replacement wont it?

So here's my question, I'll have a few dollars to blow if I buy this Mustang, and with a BRAND new interior in it, I figured I'd shoot about a grand into the motor. Now, I've read up on my 2V heads (which this mustang is) and saw how enormous they are for average 2v's. My question is, is it smart to go to a 4v head and put a 4 barrel on it, or just stick to the 2v heads and go 4 barrel. (Edited by moderator) Even recomendations on what to do with it. I'm interested in where I should put my money to make the best power and reliability. THANKS GUYS

Last edited by Bill_Beyer; 02-17-2004 at 01:16 AM.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:01 PM
grclark351
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 02-18-2004, 11:30 PM
dark-horse70
New User
Unless you're building an all-out race engine, the 2V heads are generally a better choice. The 4V heads flow better at very high rpms but even the 2V heads breathe extremely well. The 4V heads suffer from low port flow velocity due to their ridicuously large intake and exhaust ports, which results in poor torque and fuel economy at low rpms, and were really designed for racing. If you've got the bucks and want more performance, go for the "Aussie" heads, which are special 351C-2V heads made by Ford in Australia. They have the "quench" small combustion chambers, similar to the BOSS 302 heads, which yields a high compression ratio, but have the smaller 2V ports. This combination gives lots of torque over a wide range. They are a drop-in replacement for the original 2V heads, and the ports match up with the standard USA 2V intake and exhaust manifolds. They show up on e-bay all the time and sell for about $350/pair for bare heads. Top it off with an Edelbrock 351C-2V manifold, which is designed to mount a 4-bbl carb on 2V heads. A carb in the 650 CFM range is about right for street performance on this setup.

Old 02-20-2004, 06:42 PM
carlo
Junior User
Thanks

Thanks for the help guys. It definitely makes me feel better to see that the 2V heads should be fine. Say I keep the stock 2V heads, and threw on the Edelbrock intake and a 650 CFM carb, what carb would you recommend and how much am I looking to spend?

Thanks Guys.

By The Way, I work at Pep Boys, and I've heard so many story's on Holley Vs. Edelbrock on carbs with so many different opinions, what does everyone here think?
Personally at this point, I am in love with Holley. I couldn't get my stock 2 barrel through emissions, so I threw on a 4 Barrel Holley I happened to have off an F-150, and it went right through. My rebuilt Holley 2 barrel runs like a charm. But I hear Edelbrock is better from numerous people.

Old 02-21-2004, 10:52 PM
putzr
New User
from what Ive heard, the holley's are better performers but need to be constantdly readjusted where the edelbrocks are pretty solid themselves but don't need readjustment. Ive a 69 fastback with a 351c with 750 edelbrock and stock 2v heads. It runs like a charm but would really like to hype it up some more. Im thinkin of going to the aussie heads...porting them and the manifold and get some decent exhaust hooked up to the headers. see my post at http://www.fordtrucks.com/forums/sho...hreadid=203477 You have electronic ignition? This 69's got it...love it! Ill be keeping a eye on this post as well...thanks for the posts!!
Todd

Old 02-21-2004, 11:34 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally posted by dark-horse70
Unless you're building an all-out race engine, the 2V heads are generally a better choice. The 4V heads flow better at very high rpms but even the 2V heads breathe extremely well. The 4V heads suffer from low port flow velocity due to their ridicuously large intake and exhaust ports, which results in poor torque and fuel economy at low rpms, and were really designed for racing.

-This is correct

If you've got the bucks and want more performance, go for the "Aussie" heads, which are special 351C-2V heads made by Ford in Australia. They have the "quench" small combustion chambers, similar to the BOSS 302 heads, which yields a high compression ratio, but have the smaller 2V ports. This combination gives lots of torque over a wide range. They are a drop-in replacement for the original 2V heads, and the ports match up with the standard USA 2V intake and exhaust manifolds. They show up on e-bay all the time and sell for about $350/pair for bare heads.

-This is not correct. read some of the many discussions here on aussie heads.

Top it off with an Edelbrock 351C-2V manifold, which is designed to mount a 4-bbl carb on 2V heads. A carb in the 650 CFM range is about right for street performance on this setup.
-You can go smaller on the carb if you aren't running high rpms.

Old 02-21-2004, 11:58 PM
grclark351
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i take exception to both comments in that the Aussie quench heads are from the 302C. the 4V exhaust ports aren't completely too large, they transition from about the right size to way too big. some people fill the bottom of the transition area with weld to eliminate the bottom half and actually improve flow tremendously. they are a drop-in replacement if you have an unlimited source of racing fuel to satisfy the resulting compression ratio, prolly upwards of 11:1. physically, yes, they bolt on and use the 2V port manifolds/headers. to run them on pump fuel you would need to use a "reverse dome" piston to retain the quench characteristics and get the compression ratio back in line.

Old 02-22-2004, 01:05 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
ROFLMAO

Old 02-22-2004, 11:42 AM
carlo
Junior User
wow, I just got back from looking at the Mustang. Pretty deep Maroon color, but it might help to get a new paint job. It's the Grande and its got a nice black vinyl top. It ran good, but it needs a tuneup. What kind of power am I looking at getting? I am in no way looking to hot rod this thing around town, I just want to cruise, but you still would like to know what kind of power you're getting. It's got the Mach wheels on it, looks really good, and it's all original from the motor to the stereo, except the seats which come newly upholstered. It's got quite a few dollars invested, but still has some rough edges such as it needs the tuneup, the paint needs to be touched up/redone, and all fluids, filters, and normal maintenence. It passed Delaware inspection. So what do you guys think? 4500 a good price or what?