General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Computer problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 08:33 AM
theologian
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Computer problems

I run XP on a Dell Laptop, and used the windows update yesterday.. Silly me. Now I have a lap top that can't find the network, the internet, or me.. The settings have changed, the desktop changed and the roll back feature is not working. SO... what gives Microsoft the right to mess with my internet and network settings, when I go to their site, and try to update a critical security patch.. I find that unacceptable.

When messing with the Desktop yesterday, running windows 98SE, I managed to annoy it, so much, it fried everything.. I lost 3.45 gb of files, data, drivers and all.. Everything unrecoverable, so I have a dead computer, and a nice red box..... With a red hat on it, so now, after much gnashing of teeth, ranting, and general panic, I run UNIX... well Linux, but that is baby Unix.. It really is goooooood. I prefer it in all ways, to any microsoft product, and it came with most of the programs I use. I need to find a Map software that runs on it, and maybe a couple of specific control applications, but I much prefer the lack of annoyed computer happenings that I have not seen since loading it. I need to get the rest of the network using it... so I can see 'em all again, and try to recover some of the spread sheets I have. Fortunately they were stored on a separate Buslink Drive, that sits ontop of the box... So, if I can find the buslink driver, I can plug it into the laptop, and recover my documents..

Of interest. The graphic ability of this new operating system seems way better than windows - Things are clearer and fractals operate as well as they used to in the old dos graphics modes... I had forgotten how good computers could be..

So, all I need now, is the information needed to understand this operating system, and resources for downloadable software..

Theo

Old 02-11-2004, 08:44 AM
Ripsnort
Senior User
There was a virus going around the net that appeared as a MS update, and it was an executible I believe. Did you do the update via the automatic update feature within XP or was this an executible? Do you have a firewall?

I've never had a problem with MS updates, never had a virus, in 12 years of being on the Net.

Old 02-11-2004, 08:47 AM
theologian
Postmaster
I used the windows update feature of XP.. I have a very eleborate firewall system. It is still configured correctly. The only settings that seem to be changed are the ones for the network - they are missing. the laptop has a built in ethernet adapter, that it no longer can find. Now is about the time "EEEEEEEK" sounds appropriate.

Theo

Old 02-11-2004, 08:53 AM
Ripsnort
Senior User
Hmm...not sure why the network settings changed...read up on this article, maybe your answer is within:

http://www.securityfocus.com/news/8003

Old 02-11-2004, 09:43 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 331 Likes on 255 Posts
About a week and a half ago MS sent me a automatic download that blew out all my cookies.

Additional glitch was I could go online ok, but after 6 or 8 mouse clicks IE/OE would lock up requiring restarting the comp to clear it. Rest of the computer worked fine so I know it was specific to IE. I sent in one of the error msg reports and it came back that there was a compatibility problem with my anti-virus program.

I have run PC-cillin anti-v and firewall for 2 years and haven't had problems with it.

Out of frustration after 3 or 4 days of this I stabbed the refresh button about 20 times and .............. it started working and has been flawless since. Don't ask me why or how!!??

Old 02-12-2004, 02:47 AM
Bill79Lariat
Freshman User
Are you useing a DHCP server to asign IPs? Have you tried ipconfig /renew ? I have no idea why microsoft would axe your network protocols for an update.

Old 02-12-2004, 02:58 AM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you tried going into control panel and trying to install new hardware, in particular the ethernet adapter? Also, check the status of the adapter etc by doing the following: left click start>>>right click My Computer>>>Left click Manage>>>left click Device Manager. Look through the list for "Network Adapters". A red X in the icon to the left of the description means the device is disabled. A yellow icon means there is a problem with the drvice which usually is a lack of the driver.