General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Shell-Shocked

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 12:51 PM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Shell-Shocked

It was only a matter of time before I had to deal with it, anyway. But, this morning my stepson unknowingly took two 410 shells to school and has been put in ISS. Of course the rules are the rules and apply to everyone. Still, if he had been a “bad” kid he could have been suspended for a year. I really like the teachers up there and they know me and my family – not personally, but on a school/parent basis – and they are working a way out that he will not be excluded from the field trips and ballgames for a whole month.

Just two 410 shells caused all this commotion, as if he had brought a knife to school. But, he knew better and I am partly to blame for letting him wear his hunting jacket to school. I should have made him check his pockets after we got back from our little hog hunt this weekend.

But, like I said, it was only a matter of time. We (our whole family) have firearms placed in various locations in our home with the ammo that goes with them. I and my sons/stepsons take firearms with us wherever we go and always have an abundance of ammo. The likelihood of him having ammo on his person is high. I will strive to be more careful in the future, but it’s a full-time job with boys – ya’ know. And, besides, I can only see this sort of thing only get worse and rules get stricter.

If it weren’t for the ignorance of a few…
I can remember a time that if you didn’t have a 30.30 in your gun rack, you weren’t cool in school.

Old 02-09-2004, 01:02 PM
christaylor
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unfortunately those days are long gone. At least the school is working with you. Around here my son would have made the front [age and probably been in jail at age 11..A bunch of real tight !@#es here.

Chris

Old 02-09-2004, 04:28 PM
wabiker
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...Had a similiar experience with my 8 yr old son...with a pocket knife....His chores in the morning included feeding the horses, he was taught proper and respectful use of tools...I gave him the swiss army knife to that end...

He cut the twine on a bale of hay, put the knife back into his pocket and toddled off to school at which point it promptly fell out of said pocket whilst changing for gym class...

I get phone call, and had a deep meaningful session with the principle about the life lessons Im teaching my children, ya know, work ethic, responsibilty...trust etc etc

Fortunatley the school was a small rural farm community type...and it didnt take a WHOLE lot of convincing, but was a bit frustrating none the less....The principle aqueice, no suspension, no time off...cautionary word of warning...

Still a frustrating all the same....I can only imagine the results if it had been a "big city school"...

Old 02-09-2004, 04:43 PM
Strokepower78
Junior User
My school thinks they are "Big City," and they sort of are, but a few years after they opend (it's only 12 years old) a boy that went there had his car taken away from him for some reason(bad grades I heard), and he killed his whole family, including his parents,and two young sisters. And then he decided to go to school with the gun, and held up a classroom. Luckily the teacher talked him down, and the vice principal took it away from him.

Old 02-09-2004, 05:18 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You guys aren't allowed to take knives to school?

Thats pretty bad. I always had a pocketknife, and on several occasions a leatherman in plain sight.

The last school I went to, I kept my rifle on campus. It was in the public safety.

Old 02-09-2004, 05:28 PM
Waxy
Postmaster
Pretty sad how times have changed - and even more shockingly, how quickly they've changed.

I always thought this kinda thing was limited to big city type schools as well.

I used to show up to my first class in high school (city of around 200,000) wearing my camo and covered in straw and goose blood at least once a week during hunting season. I'm sure I had pockets full of shells most of the time, and my shotgun was in my truck in the school parking lot. I almost always carried a pocket knife, still do.

I got some sideways glances from a few of the chicks, but I didn't care about those ones anyways

No one else really seemed to care, it just wasn't an issue. My first period teacher got a kick out of me and a buddy running into class at the last minute with straw falling out of our pants, as long as we weren't more than couple minutes late, he thought it was great. He even turned a blind eye the odd time when the shooting was too good to leave.

That wasn't much much more than 10 years ago.

Waxy

Old 02-09-2004, 06:38 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have carried a pocket knife every day since I was maybe 6 or 7, except for the last time I flew. It is sad that my boys can't enjoy that same rite of passage but considering the times I just have to accept it, albeit sadly. And my boys love knives too. When I get out my old knife collection they will spend hours just looking at them all and handling them, so hopefully when they are old enough and out of school they too will not be with out the trusty old timer.

Old 02-09-2004, 06:58 PM
FordFadgeole
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The times are sure changing.

Old 02-09-2004, 07:02 PM
Hillbillywagon
Senior User
I always had a knife on me at school, usualy had a gun in the truck (never in plain site), several hundred rounds of various types of ammo, or my bow. Then again so did half the school, teachers included. I cant even count the number of times different teachers used my knife to open boxes or some other odd chore. I graduated in 2000.

Old 02-09-2004, 08:33 PM
99 ranger bob
Elder User
times are definately a changing and its no longer cool blame the liberals hey of course they do have a point my friend has a kid in second grade and the teacher asks the class, " class what comes after a sentence?" and some kid yells out " You make an appeal" need i say more!

Old 02-10-2004, 03:45 AM
XR4TiSam
Senior User
18 years ago, it was against the rules to bring a knife to school, but I always had a Swiss Army or other multi-blade knife in my pocket.

Heck, the principal knew he could ask me if he needed a blade. Administration could wink at the violation, and nothing would be said. Today, you're likely to make the 6:00 news for bringing a Swiss Army to school!

Another thing that annoys the daylights out of me is that mindless 1500' "No Gun Zone" around every school. Technically, if your house is within 1500' of the school and you own a firearm, you're heading for jail!

Let's not even get into having a weapon in your car...

What ever happened to common sense?

Sam

Old 02-10-2004, 06:32 AM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Originally posted by Waxy
That wasn't much …more than 10 years ago.
Waxy
Yes, my oldest graduated high school 10 years ago and could have knives, guns, hatchets, machetes, etc. If it was legal elsewhere it was legal here. That’s not the case here and certainly not the way my mind works…but I guess it’ll have to start.
Originally posted by XR4TiSam
Another thing that annoys the daylights out of me is that mindless 1500' "No Gun Zone" around every school. Technically, if your house is within 1500' of the school and you own a firearm, you're heading for jail!

Let's not even get into having a weapon in your car...

What ever happened to common sense?

Sam
It’s getting to the point where those that know nothing about guns but how to get what they want from other people are getting attention…a lot of it. In a way I can see how the authorities have no alternative.
Whatever happened to common sense? It was legislated, rolled into a wad and overcome by laws, rules, and regulations. Things that were common are now considered dangerous, things once considered dangerous are now lethal; a sign of the times, sad as it is.

Old 02-10-2004, 07:07 AM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Our society has created a generation (or two) of young people with seriuosly eroding respect and values. Then as a solution to a problem of our own making we have decided to take away the tools they use to express their anger. When we should be dealing with the real heart of the issue. If legislation is the cure then let's step back a little further and legislate some parental requirements in raising kids or even breeding the little rascals responsibly. If we would give our school faculty the authority to deal with bad attitudes that we give them to freak out over a pocket knife maybe it would be a start. How about the same punishment for disrespect of an adult as there is for getting caught with a pocket knife.

Old 02-10-2004, 07:37 AM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
As a matter of fact, for having those two cartridges in his pocket, my stepson could have been sent to an alternative school for a year. That's in writing as part of the rules. Why was it not enforced? Because the principal thought it was ridiculous. A cunning way to inject common sense? Yes and good for him. But, if it was pushed, the principal could have got in serious trouble, maybe even have been fired.
My hat's off to that man.

Old 02-10-2004, 08:33 AM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
It is good to know that sometimes common sense does prevail.

Quick Reply: Shell-Shocked