1999 Ranger, flashing lights 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 09:54 PM
broken wire
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 Ranger, flashing lights 4x4

Ok Ford goo roos,

I have spent all night here trying to find and answer but did not find it, two people talked about it, but nothing was defined. Switch from 2wd to 4x4 hi and it does nothing, then 4x4 lights flash 6 times, what is the 6 flashes about or is this a definite code to something, when the 4x4 decides it is going to switch to 4x4 hi, it does and it functions the transfer case motor and hubs, have switched it to 4x4 lo already and has not come out of 4x4 lo, then the next time you try it, it comes out of 4x4 lo to 4x4 hi and to 2wd without hesitation.
I am looking for the reason and answer for the 6 flashing 4x4 lights in sequence.
thank you for your time, broken wire

Old 02-09-2004, 01:01 AM
stupid red ranger
Senior User
Hi, I had the same problem with my 95. The shift motor was shot (not engaging into 4x4) and I would get the 4x4 light flashing. I hooked up my code reader and didn't get a code, it did not trigger a "check engine" light. When I took my truck to my transmission mechanic he hooked it up to his reader, a Snap On fancy one,(better than mine anyway, and way more expensive too). Anyway he did pull 2 codes out of it: 1838 "Transfer case shift circuit fault" and 1867 "Trasfer case contact plate circuit fault"Long and the short of it was that the shift motor was shot and was subsequently replaced and all was good. I guess my code reader will not read codes that do not throw a solid CEL. Weird. My tranny mechanic said the flashing 4x4 light was definately indicating a code. I don't know if there is any correlation with amount of flashes etc. I think you may need a top of the line professional code reader to get at those transfer case codes, or perhaps one of those laptop models, I don't know. I do know that those shift motors are troublesome.

Ron

Old 02-09-2004, 11:16 AM
broken wire
Senior User
information

this evening, I will make a post on the complete function and breakdown of this 4x4 including the flashing lights. In sequence. broken wire

Old 02-09-2004, 12:03 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My guess is that the GEM has stored a trouble code. Here is a summary of how your transfer case works:
....The['98-'00 Ranger Pulse Vacuum Hublock (PVH)] four-wheel drive system is an electronic shift 4X4 system that allows the operator to choose between three different modes. The operator can switch 4X4 HIGH modes at any speed. To engage or disengage 4X4 LOW the vehicle speed must be less than 5 kph (3 mph), the brake depressed, and the transmission must be in NEUTRAL.

The electronic shift motor is mounted externally at the rear of the transfer case. It drives a rotary cam which moves the mode fork and range fork within the transfer case between the 4X4 HIGH, 4X4 LOW and 2WD range positions.

The shift motor sense plate, an integral part of the electronic shift motor, informs the generic electronic module (GEM) of the transfer case shift motor and contact plates A, B, C and D position.

The digital transmission range (TR) sensor is located on the LH side of the transmission, and informs the GEM when the transmission is in the NEUTRAL position.

When the GEM verifies the completion of the transfer case shift from 2WD to 4X4 HIGH (reading the contact plate positions), the GEM will then energize both pulse vacuum hublock (PVH) solenoids (supplying ground for 45 seconds). The PVH solenoid will allow a HIGH flow of intake manifold vacuum to the "wheel end hublocks", engaging the wheel end hubs to the front differential and transfer case to achieve four wheel drive.

When the GEM verifies the completion of the transfer case shift from 4X4 HIGH to 2WD (reading the contact plate positions), the GEM will then energize only one (low vacuum solenoid) of the PVH solenoids (supplying a ground for 10 seconds). The PVH solenoid will allow a "LOW" flow of intake manifold vacuum to the wheel end vacuum hublocks, disengaging the wheel end hubs from the front differential and transfer case to achieve two wheel drive.

The 4X4 shift motor uses a module containing two relays which, under control of the GEM, shifts the transfer case shift motor between 4X4 HIGH, 4X4 LOW and 2WD modes.

The solid state clutch relay is used to activate the clutch within the transfer case which aids in shifting to 4X4.

Old 02-09-2004, 01:09 PM
broken wire
Senior User
flashing lights 4x4

The lights of the 4x4 flashing are because the GEM module has not detected movement of the contact plate according to where you moved the switch for a preset amount of time that should be needed to move the selector at the transfer case, therefore the lights flash 6 times. The lights are not codes, these lights are for drivers warning only, nothing is going to happen, 4x4 just will not function. You need to cycle the ignition key off for a preset time period, (which I don't know what it is) to allow GEM module to recycle and try again, and it will try again. If your transfer case motor is switching, it will turn on the 4x4 lights on the dash, because the contact plate has made correct contact and transfered the information to the GEM module, the GEM module turns on the lights, if your 4x4 does not lock the front axle, that is a different story, either a solenoid valve, vacuum feed, or sealing problem to either side or both sides, One of the factors here also to get vehicle to go into and out of 4x4 low was to depress the brake pedal, it does not say in the manual to hold it, the manual states to depress the brake pedal, move transmission to neutral and turn selector to 4x4 low, it does not say you have to hold the brake pedal down, so the correction here also is to hold the brake pedal down, the GEM module wants to see this reference from the brake pedal. The GEM module location is at the left side of the radio center console, underneath of the GEM is the 2 relays, and in the right fender corner underneath of the Evap. canister is the PVH solenoid. lockouts are a good item to purchase for this front end. broken wire

Old 02-09-2004, 02:55 PM
stupid red ranger
Senior User
So just to clarify, if the GEM module does not detect proper movement of the contact plate, then it will store one of those weird codes that the transmission mechanic pulled from my truck? I wonder why a light doesn't come on to let the driver know that there is a code stored? And I wonder why my reader did not pick them up?

Old 02-09-2004, 04:43 PM
broken wire
Senior User
AVM

So.... where do I purchase a set of AVM locking hub units from?
Anyone in the USA?

broken wire

Old 02-09-2004, 04:46 PM
broken wire
Senior User
Ranger, it is because you have a GEM code and not a PCM code, your reader is for PCM. They are two different units, I don't know if you can buy a GEM reader by itself.
The light did come on as you stated, it was the 4x4 lights flashing, not the check engine light, the check engine light is for the PCM, GEM is for the transfer case, wipers, power windows, door locks, ect. ect.
broken wire

Old 02-09-2004, 10:21 PM
stupid red ranger
Senior User
Thanks for the reply Broken Wire. I guess some lucky guy is gonna get rich some day when he invents a GEM reader to sell to guys like us.....

Ron

Old 01-12-2012, 11:04 AM
stephfevans
New User
mine only flashes five times in a sequence is there a diff

Old 01-19-2012, 11:42 AM
Guest user
New User
" The PVH solenoid will allow a "LOW" flow of intake manifold vacuum to the wheel end vacuum hub locks, disengaging the wheel end hubs from the front differential and transfer case to achieve two wheel drive."

Actually, this is incorrect.
The vacuum flow to the hubs is halted, and the vacuum lines to the hubs are vented when the switch is turned to the 2x4 position. The absence of vacuum in the lines allows the the springs in the hubs to return the hubs to an unlocked position.

The hubs are only locked by the use of vacuum, and this is evedent by only having one vacuum line going to the hub motors.
Two vacuum lines, or an electric diverting device located at the hubs would be required if vacuum was used to both lock and unlock the hubs.

Once locked, any amount of vacuum would keep the hubs locked, provided the hub motors weren't leaking.