Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Chevy vortecs

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 11:40 PM
turbo TED
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ktmguy70; ktmguy70 quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by turbo TED
Hey guys look at the site its not just me saying these things
when the owners are saying something similar or worse its just
ther words. http://destinations.motorhome.com/s...ssages=262#7276
& the numbers i mentioned are ford f 150 VS chevy 1/2 ton not as a whole, if that were the case combining F150/F250/F350 those
numbers may just edge out the general. I do not know if the
problem numbers are the same look at comsumer reports on how
ford & gm stack up [usaly one or two notches above] in most areas.
turbo ted
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Man are you blind???

Just do a search on THIS forum alone, check out the diesel forums.a good porion of threads have to do with buybacks and lemonlaws.. go over to the expy forum and find out about the problems with the 03 Expys.. many complaints.

And Ted go to consumeraffairs.com do some searching there under ford.. Please tell me again, that ford has less problems than GM??

Ron

00 Excursion Limited V-10 4x4
You know the thread was about chevy problems[I personally think that chevy is killing them selves by the vortec series engines. Read through this and all you hear is fuel pump, and blown engines, low or no oil pressure, anti-freeze in the oil.] by
78fordman. TURBO TED

Old 03-24-2004, 12:20 AM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by EV2DEMON

The Chevrolet and GMC lines combine to sell more trucks than the Ford line does. Don't think Ford has any less problems than Chevy & GMC do.
http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/otf0999.html
Evidently they don't this year.

Old 03-24-2004, 01:05 AM
BroncoRoadKill
Posting Guru
I used too work at mechanic shops, the vortech engines are a goldmine, They would blow intake gasgets every 60,000 miles, valves would rattle for no reason, and timing marks, or the lack of timing marks. The vortech searies of engines are the most PITA too work on and keep up. GM is really cutting corners nowdays, and the only reason there still around is beacaue the name and fact that the hip hop community has given them tons of advertising and endorsing. They will cut as many corners as the need too make an extra cent.

Old 03-24-2004, 02:23 AM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All companies will cut corners to save money, and they will cut every corner as much as they possibly can.
The vortechs that came through my shop all needed intakes and lifters, and there were quite a few of them. Probably the number one thing I worked on.

Old 03-24-2004, 08:41 AM
fatman66
Senior User
From direct experience and word of mouth from professionals who have dealt with a lot of the Vortecs, they have serious problems with coolant leaking into the intake manifold. The previous incarnation before the Vortec also has the same problem (like my 95 GMC Sierra, only 80K and my buddy's 90 Silverado at 90K). If you catch it fast and get a competent careful professional to change the intake manifold gasket (usually the culprit) it's only a $400 fix but if you don't notice it in time, your engine is ****ed and if the intake manifold gasket replacement is sloppy you end up with rod knock and you are SOL. To be honest, My 90 Bronco II did this too but it had 150K on it and I didn't care if there was coolant in the oil (looked like a freaking choclate milkshake someimes) at that point b/c that thing was almost dead anyway. Even with a coolant leak into the engine that Bronco II never ran rough.

Old 03-26-2004, 10:48 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did not realize chevy had as much problem with there motors on there trucks. Oil consumption,blown headgaskets.knocking engines. People are pretty fed up. My f-150 with 302 hasn;t had one issue with me. Doesnt take a drop of oil either. The engine is as quiet as a mouse. No noise period. Cold or hot. It sounds like fuel pumps are a weak spot with those trucks too. I have 115000 miles on my truck to date. Ford has had some problems with the newer engines too. No wonder chevy and ford quit producing there older longer lasting motors, No repairs no parts sold there. The bottom line is money.