Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Serious question for Diesel owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 09:20 PM
rockfiv0
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Serious question for Diesel owners

I do not want to start a war, however I would like some honest responses from Diesel owners. I am torn between a Ford and a Dodge for my next purchase. Let's face it, there is good and bad with both brands so lets leave it at that. I finally decided that I will probably make my decision based on which engine will provide the best miles per gallon.

I would appreciate it if people would post their current truck configuration (Ford and Dodge), and what kind of mileage you are getting.

P.S. Yes, I know this is a Ford site, but I know Dodge and Chevy owners read here. Thanks...

Old 03-03-2004, 09:56 PM
jtsmith22
Junior User
To answer your question - 16-18mpg unloaded and not towing and with a 3.73 gear ratio in the back. BUT, there's a lot more to consider than the MPG you're going to get.

Old 03-04-2004, 02:42 AM
77redf250
Senior User
i think the cummins is a fairly well built motor they have a good reputation for their diesel engines. the only problem is that there is a dodge truck around it. go test drive one. it feels like your floating all over the road cause of their crappy suspension and junky track bars that wear out in about 3 months. chevy's have a nice ride, good for hauling on the highway but don't even think about taking it off road there is no clearance and the balljoints fallout of them. as for the new powerstroke it's a powerful nice sounding engine but i don't think they have all the bugs worked out yet. they all have their problems.

Old 03-04-2004, 05:44 AM
DeerSniper
Senior User
From truck in sig: 18 when i baby it. 14 when i gun it at every light. Good enough for me.

Old 03-04-2004, 06:23 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you currently happy with the superduty you have now. If so I would stick with the ford. There is more to too it than just miles per gallon. My version of going from ford to dodge is this. From great to mediocre. The new 6.0 still has some bugs to work out so I wouldny buy one for awhile. However if you are going used the 7.3 is foolproof. Lots of people make the mistake from going to Dodge from ford. They always come back. I have never left. Stick with the ford you will be happy. Your bank account will be happy also when comes to trade or sell the resale value is
excellent. Just my thoughts Thanks

THE BEST NEVER REST BUILT FORD TOUGH

Old 03-04-2004, 07:27 AM
MJD
Elder User
I know a number of people who went from Ford to Dodge and couldn't be happier. You are not going to get a straight anwser here because people are biased toward Ford, of course. Dodge pickups have a redesigned steering system and so far it has not had problem staying tight like some of the older ones did. I have been told that the steering is more precise than that of the Superduties. Mileage is probably pretty close between the three, although the Cummins used to generally be the most efficient.

Old 03-04-2004, 08:05 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
MJD I am proabably baised about fords being a ford fan. As far as the newer Dodges are concerned I cant really comment on them . Just remembering the experiences of a couple offriends of mind who had older dodges 98 on back. The experiences they had with those really turned me off on Dodges. However the cummins motor has a good reputation no doubt about it just wish it was in a Ford truck. At least the newer ones are much quitier than the older ones. They were way to noisy. for my taste.
Just my thoughts . Thanks

Old 03-04-2004, 03:33 PM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We tried Dodge once, and we ran back as fast as we could. The transmission was the main cause for problems, as well as a virtually non-existant warranty (supposedly best in class).

Old 03-04-2004, 03:54 PM
MJD
Elder User
I should add: try out all three, get infromation from as many sources as possible and talk to people who have owned them and see what they have to say.

Old 03-04-2004, 04:09 PM
wiz
New User
Started shopping for a new Dodge with a Cummins in 03. Have always been a fan of the engine. Ended up with an 04 6.0. Here is what influenced my decision after spending time on both web sites.(It's a little long winded)

I wanted a 4x4 one ton cab and chassis- To my surprise Dodge no longer offered a C& C in 03 or 04. (believe that a few people have bought dualies and converted them which I had no interest in doing.)

I drove a friends new 03 Cummins 2500. A great truck, but had turbo lag as did the first 03 6.0s that I drove.

I liked the cab and frame of the Ford a little better(seemed simpler and tighter) and I was dissapointed that Dodge changed the body style in 03.

I looked at the performance graphs and where the rpm was at maximum torque(Ford was 560fps at 2,000 rpm and Dodge was not far behind, but torque maxed at 1,450 rpms I think) I checked on this site and found that the PS had maximum torque closely matched with highway speed limits-2,000 rpm's(max torque) at 70 mph in overdrive(manual) and at approx 55 in 5th gear-manual. My friends Dodge was runing closer to 3,000 rpms at 70 mph in 6th with a diff that was only slightly lower. Even though I am still a fan of inline engines and the Cummins specifically, I thought the rpm/torque match was better for towing with the 6.0.(note that Dodge has worked on this some for 04.5)

The fuel mileage is not a lot different between my friends Dodge and my F350..16-17mpg combination driving. The newer high output Dodges don't do as well as the older models(you want to play-you got to pay)

I now have 5,000 miles on my 04 F350 6.0 4x4 C&C.(absolutely love it -no return to dealer-no regrets) and I think they got most of the bugs out by the Sept 29/03 engine build date.(mine built in Nov 03-this is important if you go used) I would never buy an engine the first year of production anyway

This site was invaluable to me. These guys collectively & consistantly know more than the dealers and in many cases more than the shop techs. My suggestion is to take your time and hear what they have to say, especially about the 04 PS 6.0 engines-they don't have the years of the Cummins yet but I believe we are just begining to see what this "Farmall" engine is capable of. A little long winded, but hope it helps-both are good engines.

Old 03-04-2004, 05:52 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
WIZ I agree with you totally about this site isn't it great. Hundreds of experts at your fingertips. People here are really great. So glad to here a great story about the new 6.o. For awhile I thought every one had major problems. Really the ones that have problems let us know on this site. People that don;t say nothing. To all people out ther who have the new 6.0 go over on the 6.0 forum let us know how your engine is performing.If no problems let us know that as well as problems. To all the diesel techs at the dealerships Hats off to you guys. I am sure it hasn't been easy dealing with all the problems with the new 6.0. Dealing with customer complaints as well as using your expertis to fix these problems can be difficult at times. Your the first to recieve static if something is wrong and the last to be praised. Again thanks for your hard work and dedication. Just some thoughts Thanks.

Old 03-07-2004, 06:58 PM
78fordman
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The 6.0 has a longer power band, plus your powerband i right where your cruising speed is, right where is should be, dodges is a little lower, down around 1500 RPM. Cummins is a greeat motor, but when you are in a bind with a 5 ton trailor behind you, they have never cut it for me, my powerstroke has. Ford has all of the problems panned out with the later 04 6.0's. There was nothing but troubles with the 03's. Ford has a better track record when it comes to transmissions.

Old 03-07-2004, 08:17 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 356 Likes on 214 Posts
Mated to the six-speed manual, there is no question our Cummins H.O. is the best choice when trailering. Loaded, we are getting 16 mpg. I don't care what any PSD guys tell you...they are NOT getting that kind of mileage loaded. It is very logical...8 cylinders are going to drink more fuel than 6.

Our first work truck was a GMC, last one was a Ford diesel, and now we have the new Dodge. I am a Ford man, and I love Ford trucks. But these guys saying the Cummins is gutless have obviously not driven one. Because I can assure you, ours can have a huge load on it and gain speed rapidly for as long as you are brave enough to stay in the pedal.

Old 03-07-2004, 09:20 PM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd still rather have an auto. Shifting gears in traffic is a pain in the rear.

Old 03-07-2004, 10:52 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
The cummis ism a great motor. Boy that was tough to say. Now that I have said it. Put that in a ford truck Ill buy it. Since it is in a Dodge. No way. The rest of the truck doesn't compare to the engine, Not even close. Read Cheepfeels comments on the Dodge 2500 I-6 diesel forum. He will enlighten you on Dodge and Ford. No need to say anymore.

BUILT FORD TOUGH THE BEST NEVER REST

Quick Reply: Serious question for Diesel owners