Sponsored by:

Throttle Response Fixed!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 07:19 PM
BigRedBronc
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throttle Response Fixed!

I finally nailed down my throttle response and fuel smell problems with awesome results!

Replaced factory TB with BBK Twin 56MM and installed K&N Aircharger Kit. Found crack in original throttle body and gasket was saturated with fuel in the area of crack. The crack was causing a venturi that would actually pull fuel up through the intake into the TB.

Found some heavy corrosion on the coil tower, so I installed a CRANE Fireball to replace the old MSD coil.

The K&N Aircharger replaced my K&N cone filter which was installed on the factory intake tubing. Really opens up and smooths out the airflow.

End result: Throttle response is phenomenal! Power increase you can definately feel in the seat of your pants.

One problem not completely eliminated yet...
I have a flat spot in acceleration at about 3000RPM. Truck pulls smoothly and steadily till I hit the magic 3000 number then drops off momentarily. After a second or two it picks back up and pulls smoothly from then on. I see a drop of between 100-200 RPM on the tach when this happens.

Ideas

I put a few pictures of the upgrades in my gallery and even more on my website

http://www.clubfte.com/users/bigredb...BigBronco.html

Old 01-05-2004, 07:33 PM
Black Ford XLT
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
ttb

Nice looking truck , big red ,i have a 56mm bbnk tb waiting to be installed when i recieve my upper n lower intake by edelbrock-say it makes a difference ,glad to hear: am sorry about your flat spot in accelaration , i installed the super chip in my 1992 and that made a difference, not only in hp and torque but also in shifting gears -180degree difference tr

Old 01-05-2004, 07:45 PM
BigRedBronc
Senior User
Thanks Black. Which Superchips did you use?

I have a JET Ford Performance Module in mine, but I have been considering pulling it and using the Superchips Microtuner.

I like the fact that the tuner lets you exercise some control over the program and lets you make choices. The JET just plugs in to the computer and you get what you get.

Thoughts

Old 01-07-2004, 07:26 PM
Black Ford XLT
Fleet Mechanic
superchip

The superchip for my 1992 is also a plug in cept as stated in threads this chip doesnt just work at full throttle as a jet .If u go to the chip forum youll get an idea what these chips do-increase across the full thottle or partial throttle etc more pressure for smoother shifts .My 92 is limited to just a plug in . they also make a diablo that can be flashed for later bronco computers as my s.c. was for my 92.No chip (diablo) for my 92.Later years bring better results . TR

Old 01-07-2004, 08:23 PM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i would like to get a chip for my 87 302 but i need help finding the one i need hey bigredbronc how much of a difference did the bbk t.b make it

Old 01-08-2004, 07:01 PM
Black Ford XLT
Fleet Mechanic
chip

Crazed , go to the computer chip forum and place ya questions admin will be more than happy to help you. Where i got mine and all questions answered TR

Old 01-08-2004, 07:05 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Your flat spot could be a clogged fuel filter or a clogged cat. I would also check at night under the hood looking for arching from your plugwires this will create slight power loss at high rpms.

late

Old 01-09-2004, 08:34 AM
Errgo
Freshman User
The flat spot problem sounds like your throttle position sensor has a dead spot in it. While driving, if you try to hold the gas pedal right at the flat spot does your Bronco buck and jerk? If so then it's the TP sensor.

Old 01-09-2004, 08:37 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
good call errgo, i just figured he changed that when he put the new throttle body on, at least i would have just to get rid of the old crap.

Old 01-09-2004, 09:29 AM
Crazyromi
Senior User
will a deap spot on the tps throw a code?

Old 01-09-2004, 06:55 PM
BigRedBronc
Senior User
OK, here's the scoop.
The TPS was replaced with a brand new one when I replaced the Throttle Body. There is no "dead spot" in the TPS. Using multimeter I checked the resistance values of the new TPS through its full range of motion before I installed it. After the TB installation was complete, I checked the TPS with voltmeter and Key ON Engine OFF from shut throttle to WOT. TPS tracked smoothly throughout the range of motion, and voltage levels were dead on with specs.
The CAT potential is about to be eliminated as my custom pipe guy is building me a new system with a brand new racing cat to replace the factory unit.
I am thinking more along the lines of a timing advance problem.
The ingition system is tight, MSD 6A with MSD cap and rotor with Taylor wires. Checked out the whole system, no signs of arcing or sparking, no carbon tracks in the cap, nothing, nada, zip.
The flat spot in my acceleration lasts less than a second and we are talking 70% throttle. I have recently been made aware that my JET module only alters the advance curve at WOT. It may be that the ECM just cannot keep up with the engine performance at factory settings. I am considering dumping the JET module for the Superchips tuner, as the performance improvements are applied throughout the power band, not just at WOT.
I have checked and rechecked everything that one would normally suspect with this kind of situation. EGR, PCV, Coil, TB, TPS, and fuel filter are all brand new. Fuel pressure at the rail is dead on spec. No vacuum leaks, no exhaust leaks, no computer codes set, no other driveability problems. Truck runs like a bat out of hell with the exception of that momentary glitch. This is one sneaky gremlin.
I appreciate all your input, and I am genuinely grateful for you taking the time to reply. I hope somebody out there knows a gotcha that I have overlooked.

Tom H.
http://www.clubfte.com/users/bigredb...BigBronco.html

Last edited by BigRedBronc; 01-09-2004 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-10-2004, 08:46 AM
BigRedBronc
Senior User
For crazed87bronco...sorry I didn't answer your question earlier. The BBK made a big difference in throttle response. Sucker leaps when I mash the pedal and accelerates smoothly (except for the glitch we have been talking about). Very happy with it. Got to retrain my right foot though, was used to a throttle spring with 107000 miles on it. The new one is obviously stiffer, just gotta get used to it.
Hope this helps.

Tom H.

Old 01-10-2004, 11:46 AM
bigric
Fleet Mechanic
That had to be a helluva suction to pull fuel against the engine vacuum all the way up to the throttle body! I'll bet that it drives better now.

Old 01-11-2004, 04:07 PM
BigRedBronc
Senior User
OK, here is a little update to the acceleration thing.

I went out and did a WOT run. Don't like to do that from a stop too often...I like my driveshaft in its current condition. As far as the flat spot in my acceleration curve...uummmm...there isn't one at WOT.

This is the first time I have done it since I installed the BBK Throttle Body, K&N Aircharger, and Crane PS-91 Coil. All I can say about the run is HOLY S&*%!

31x10.5's broke loose and I was GONE! Wife was timing the run with a stop watch...0-60 in a shade under 6 seconds (on slight uphill grade). I don't know how that compares to what you guys are running, but for a Bronco that rocks! I have GOT to see what this thing does on a dyno.

Ran it up to about 90 or so, then backed off. No flat spot at all with WOT, just gettup and go. That leaves me with a small dip in my acceleration curve with 70% throttle. If the JET chip only works at WOT, then the problem may be insufficient timing advance at partial throttle.

Your Thoughts..

Old 01-11-2004, 08:47 PM
Kingersj
Junior User
Well I just found this forum, and let me first say, BigRedBronc I am in the process of doing the exact same throttle body upgrade as you. The only difference is with K&N FIPK not the air charger, and I also have a throttle body spacer. My 92 has 207,000+ miles on it, and I already noticed a difference with just the FIPK on. From what I hear from you, I can't wait till this weekend when the throttle body goes on. Especially after seeing the side by side comparo pics you have posted.