Computer Chips & Tuners  

Predator re Program on 2002 Powerstroke

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 09:14 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Oh.... almost forgot, yes, I've got VDH tunes for it, that I send out all the time on chips that work VERY well (dozens and dozens done without issues).

Old 01-20-2004, 07:33 AM
oppy
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about AEB tunes?

Also, my bro-in-law is going to reflash my pcm later this week. I'm going to see if he can load the AEB4 program which I've heard is better than AEB2. Then I'll try reloading a Predator tune and see how it works.

Old 01-20-2004, 02:52 PM
scotth
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Ken,

I just ordered all the gauge stuff from you. When you get a chance can you explain this calibration thing you talk about on this forum. Im confused. I just ordered all three guages from that nice lady that answers the phone. I asked her if you had grey hair yet and she laughed.....

Old 01-23-2004, 07:37 AM
nhancock
Senior User
Any luck yet?

Hi Oppy and ScottH,

Just wondering if you've had any luck at resolving your issues. I sent my Predator back to Diablo on Monday to get the latest upgrade and I hope I didn't shoot myself in the foot by doing so.

I was interested in the new code to try and lower my EGT's. I have a 4" exhaust from turbo and high flow intake and was getting to 1250 real fast on the 60hp setting. Other than that, I had no issues. But it's no fun to spend all that money and only be able to run on the 40hp setting to keep from melting my turbo.

I have a post under the 7.3L forum on High EGT's that I'll update when I get mine back. But I would like to know how you guys made out. I'll check my ECM code this weekend to see if mine is the same as either one of you guys.

Thanks,
Neil

Old 01-23-2004, 10:26 AM
oppy
Laughing Gas
I'm having my PCM reflashed this afternoon (thanks to my bro-in-law ). Once that's done I'll try a couple of tunes and post the results.

As far as EGTs go, I have heard that the update will significantly lower them.

Most of the posts I have read here and on other sites have been very positive, so I wouldn't worry too much about the update.

Old 01-23-2004, 10:32 PM
2002X
Senior User
I too have a 2002 X with the updated predator program. I sent mine into Brian for the lastest update. I have a 4" exhaust, AFE intake, and triple pillar gauges. I routinely drive at 4200 to 5700 ft elevation. With stock and these mods I get 18 MPG.

Here is what I have tested so far.

Before Update: 85 HP mode out of the question due to EGT.

After: I haven't been able to test yet. It has been below freezing for high temps for 22 days straight now...I plan to so some tomorrow, but won't have any MPG unless I can run it for awhile.

Before: 60 HP mode ran great with EGT approaching 1250 at full throttle. Smoked...but kicked butt. MPG- 19-21 (20% town- 80% Interstate) I left it in this mode when not towing.

After: 60 HP mode is less powerful. Specifically, on the low end and after it gets going the rug gets jerked out from under it (Turbo Lag?) I call feel it backing way off before I want it to. MPG- 14.6 to 15.0 This could be the winter fuel and cold weather?

Before: Towing Mode worked awesome(pulling 8-9K lbs)...going up major incline the EGT would peak at 1250-1300. I could just back off a little and keep it under. I only used when towing and got 14 MPG up and over mountains between Salt Lake and Lake Powell.

After: Not tested yet..too cold for boating.

New high altitude mode: Pretty uneventful really. Not any real increase on the low end...some in the middle. No smoke at all. 15.1 MPG after one full tank.

If you guys get any information that will help, please pass it on...thanks. I will do the same.

Old 01-28-2004, 10:09 AM
oppy
Laughing Gas
Okay, here's the latest:

My bro-in-law reflashed my pcm last week to AEB4 (he ran diagnostics on it first and there wasn't really anything wrong with the AEB2 calibration, but I had him update so I could recheck the Predator). The truck runs fine in stock - didn't really notice much of a difference between the stock tunes.

Yesterday afternoon, I installed the 60 hp tune. Same as before - really doggy at mid-range rpms. I immediately restored it to stock.

2002X - sounds like you're seeing some of the same problem with your rig. For me, the 60 horse updated tune is waaaaaayyy slower than stock, while before it kicked butt.

I'm going to send the Predator in - hopefully Brian can figure out the problem.

Last edited by oppy; 01-28-2004 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-02-2004, 12:45 PM
bazzer
New User
I sent my Pedator back to have it reprogrammed which took weeks and cost me $30, The 60 horse setting runs ok, there is no power for the first two thirds of the gas pedal or under 1500 rpm, it then comes in with a whoose, just like the old days with turbo lag. Not so much smoke. The 85 setting is hopeless, the truck just will not run. I spoke to Diablo sport on the phone several times and they made me give them all kinds of info, they promised to get back to me and they never did.
I am currently still running the Pedator but i am about to remove it and put it up on Ebay for sale.

I would NOT recommend to anybody to buy a new Predator when there are other options that work, Pedator doesn't and their customer service is just about as bad as it can be...

Barry

Old 02-02-2004, 12:55 PM
scotth
Junior User
In this day and age customer service is getting worse and worse all the time.

Old 02-09-2004, 12:21 PM
nhancock
Senior User
Finally got it back

I got the Predator back Friday, but couldn't do much testing until Sunday because it rained all weekend.

To me, the 60hp setting felt about the same as the old 60hp horse setting. I didn't experience any of the "turbo lag" that some of the others have noticed w/ their reprogramming of the Predator.

However, I didn't see any improvements in my EGT's. I still hit 1250 degrees at around 70 mph if I floored it from a dead stop. It did seem to be leveling off a little, but I wasn't willing to stay in it to see for sure. I didn't think it was worth losing a turbo over it.

I'd be curious to hear from people that have chips or other brands of tuners to see what temps they get at full throttle.

I think my next mod will be what's known as the "Zoodad" sp? mod. Basically cutting a hole and running some duct work to flow outside air into the airbox. It makes a lot of sense, so on the next pretty weekend I'll see if it improves the temps.

I'm not sure why they even include 85 and 100 horse tunes. It must take a ram air kit and 5" exhaust.

Old 02-10-2004, 02:01 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Tunes depend a lot of cetane rating of your fuel. You'll find a good cetane additive will do wonders for power, smoke and EGTs!

Old 02-10-2004, 02:16 PM
nhancock
Senior User
Are these additives available at most part stores, or do you have to order them?

Old 02-10-2004, 02:32 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Most truck stops have them and they are available from a few online retailers as well. Check out the 7.3 diesel section on this site for some recommendations. Unlike octane booster for gas, cetane booster actually pays for itself.

Old 02-22-2004, 06:31 PM
nhancock
Senior User
Started running Diesel kleen grey bottle two tanks ago. It seemed to help cold weather starts and feels like the throttle response is better, although it didn't help the EGT's. I can't say if it helps the mileage, because i have been keeping my foot in it a lot lately.

This weekend was nice and I performed the Zoodad mod. I found a vent at Lowe's that with a little modification made a nice air deflector to force more air into the opening. Throttle response "seems" to be better at highway speeds and I have less black smoke when I get in it. It did not improve EGT's 0-65, and I can't say if it helped EGt's at cruising speed because I had never checked that. Maybe I'll cover the hole one day and take some readings.

Overall, the two changes didn't help my EGT's where I wanted it, but I feel that both of them have made my truck run better and I'll continue to use the Diesel Kleen.

If it continues to bother me, I may switch to a chip and see if the temps go down. But I don't have that much spare cash laying around, so I may just have to deal w/ it.

Old 02-23-2004, 03:03 PM
2003 7.3TD 4x4 F350C
New User
I'm looking to buy a chip or power tuner after reading the problems you all had. What chip would you now buy if any at all.

Sorry you are all haveing problems. Thats one reason I haven't bought one yet.

Any help would be great.

LOL Rich

Quick Reply: Predator re Program on 2002 Powerstroke