Computer Chips & Tuners  

Predator re Program on 2002 Powerstroke

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 12:13 PM
Thumper4995
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey fellas,
I haven't seen anywhere on whether or not Diablo has resolved your reprogramming issues. I have the Predator and have no complaints but I would like to get it reprogrammed if it is advantageous. Has anyone heard if anyone owning the '99 PSD has had any problems with the updated programming? Thanks for your time.

Craig

Old 01-16-2004, 12:28 PM
scotth
Junior User
If you tow the High altitude program works great. It is supposed to keep EGTs down too. We have not resolved the problems as of yet.

Scott

Old 01-16-2004, 12:31 PM
oppy
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by scotth
We have not resolved the problems as of yet...
And I'm getting a bit impatient!

Actually, from what I have seen posted, the update is worth it for the vast majority of owners.

Scott and I apparently aren't in that group.

Old 01-16-2004, 12:46 PM
scotth
Junior User
One thing thats weird is that we have totally different ecm codes too. Oppy, have you tried the High altitude tune yet? Give it a try and let me know.

Old 01-16-2004, 12:53 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Programming of these units is completely out of the dealer's hands (except for custom tunes we can load into them) -- I can't do a thing with them except relay the information to them. VDH4 is one of the most common codes out there, so I suspect its an issue with either a) fuel mix in your area, b) air intake or c) the truck was somehow not correctly restored to stock and the new unit is trying to modify an already modified program. We're sending out units for VDH4 trucks daily without problems. The only thing I can offer at this point (since I can't reprogram the units here) is Diablo's direct number: 1-800-531-5484. I'm really trying to help, but there's just not much I can personally do, especially with my main contact there being out on leave.

Old 01-16-2004, 01:14 PM
scotth
Junior User
Ken,
I think I have ruled out the fuel and the setting it back to stock correctly. Do me a favor,

Set me up with the best intake you think applies to this situation. Also, can you set me up with the best pod-guage combo. I really only need pyro and boost but if a three pod set up is the only way to go then I will do that. I will need all the hardware as well. If you could come up with what I need I will then call and give you my cc number and have this stuff shipped out. Im tired of dinken around and want to get this fixed. If this doesnt solve my problem then I will send back the programmer and get something else from you. My truck is the tan color on the inside. What combo do you suggest?

Scott

Old 01-16-2004, 01:37 PM
oppy
Laughing Gas
Originally posted by scotth
Im tired of dinken around and want to get this fixed.
Amen, brotha!

I guess if the answer was always "call DiabloSport", I woulda done that a month ago...

Old 01-16-2004, 01:53 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
The answer hasn't always been "call Diablo sport." However, I haven't been able to get anything done from my end, I've been relaying information because its nearly impossible for the end user to talk to one of their programmers. I talk with their programmers nearly daily, but they've had their hands full these days so its probably best if you bounce it directly off their support.

I'm sorry for the issues, I'm doing the best I can under the circumstance of being an external party to the upgrade, especially for units that are upgraded months after I ship them to the customer. At least its not like these huge volume shops that don't care and would tell you tough dookie.

Old 01-16-2004, 02:14 PM
oppy
Laughing Gas
Sorry - maybe that was too harsh, im just frustrated.

It's not like the Predator is a $50 item, we paid a significant amount of our hard-earned money for it and it sucks that it won't work. It's not like it's five years old either - I bought mine last summer.

I'm in the process of discussing the problem with Brian at DS. I'll post any developments.

Old 01-16-2004, 03:52 PM
oppy
Laughing Gas
Okay, here's the update as of this afternoon:

After attempting to contact Brian at DS a couple of times (on terminal hold a couple times ), we finally had a long discussion about the problem. He's a very nice guy and it sounds like DS is extremely busy.

He says they aren't having any issues with the r19 update that they are aware of. He even called a distributor who he said has the same ecm code as me just to check and see if it was an ecm-specific problem. Apparently this guy isn't having problems.

He also had me install the 40hp tune which didn't seem any better than the 60, but it's snowing here so it was hard to tell. It's like I have the most severe case of turbo lag ever in history. The truck just bogs really bad until it hits about 2200 rpm and then it takes off. Doesn't matter what gear I'm in either. It's nearly impossible to pass.

The end result is I'm sending the tuner back to them and he's going to bench test it and send me another one to try. Aside from that, it didn't sound like he had any other ideas.

Scott, you should call him also.

Ken, I'm wondering about installing one of your custom tunes to see if that works any better. Can I install one with a serial cable?

Last edited by oppy; 01-16-2004 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-16-2004, 04:40 PM
scotth
Junior User
I have talked to Brian before, he seems like an ok guy. Im going to throw an intake on mine and install a pyro before I send mine back. There is a new thread in the 94 to 2003 7.3 Forum about egts and the Predator. Guys are having issues, even with big intake and exhaust, and dont seem to be that impressed. I would just like mine to perform the way it did before the update.

Ken, we know you work hard and appreciate it. These babies are 400.00 a pop and we just want them to work......I am ready to spend more money with ya too. I like you and the service you provide. Maybe Diablo is just too busy now, and possibly have some issues with Predators. I know when I get to busy I screw up too...

Oppy, If ya get a chance throw it in Hi alt mode before you send it back & see what it does.......

Old 01-18-2004, 10:16 AM
oppy
Laughing Gas
Tried the High Altitude tune last night. It was the same as the 40 and 60 - really doggy from around 1000 to 2200 rpm, then it took off. It really feels like it's loading up bad, but there's no smoke.

My bro-in-law works at a LM dealership, I'm going to check with him and see if he can check my stock pcm calibration. Maybe something got screwed up there. I'm also sending the Predator back to DS so they can check it out.

Other than that, I have no idea what to do.

Hey, Ken - what about those custom tunes you posted about? Can I load them onto the Predator? I'll pay you for them if that's the issue.

Scott - IMO, the best intake system is the Ford AIS.

Old 01-18-2004, 10:20 AM
scotth
Junior User
thanks, I will try that one. Good luck on your end.

Scott

Old 01-19-2004, 03:00 PM
scotth
Junior User
Ken,

I think I solved the smoke issue. I pulled my air filter element and just took it for a spin around the block. On the 40 horse before it smoked ALOT. With the element out it smoked WAY less.!!!. Then I put in the High alt with the element still out and it smoked MORE!! Weird. The shifts still feel sloppy in the 40 horse mode compared to the High Alt tune. At least Im making progress. Wont try 60 horse till you sell me gauges........

Scott

Last edited by scotth; 01-19-2004 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:13 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Scott,

Hmmmm.... mystery. Yeah, just like Diablo said, VDH codes don't seem to have problems with other owners. How clean is the filter?

Quick Reply: Predator re Program on 2002 Powerstroke