General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Manifest Destiny

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 08:29 PM
OldSkoolRacer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manifest Destiny

So I was in the pig pen for quite a while longer than I like to be today and I got a brainstorm. It seems that whether your on the war wagon or not, all have some sort of "exit stragety" cooked up in their own minds. But I am presenting a new paradigm: whatever happened to Manifest Destiny? Why is it completely out of the question for America to settle Iraq, and eventually admit it as a state? The U.S. didnt get this large without westward expansion, why not middle eastward expansion? Dont get me wrong guys, Im simply presenting a different way of looking at things, and I wanna know your thoughts.

Old 12-09-2003, 10:14 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Think about it. Do we really want people who absolutely hate the USA to be a state?

Old 12-10-2003, 02:30 AM
RRMike
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heck yeah! Just kick all the locals out and import all the folks who like Arizona and look at all the oil we'd have! haha

No I don't think they would ever accept being part of our country. There's just too much history and national pride I think. I have thought about the same thing before though.

Old 12-10-2003, 07:55 AM
skuteman
Elder User
To conquer and Hold a country you pretty much have to share a contiguous border with. That is why France didn't keep Lousiana , and Mexico couldn't hold califorina all the way back to texas. s.kuteman

Old 12-10-2003, 09:03 AM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster
S.Kuteman, that was htin, in todays world, in it most easily possible....remember the example you give are when it took 3 MONTHS to get from France to the east coast and a few more weks to et to Lousiana.

MisterCMK We have Hawaii don't we?

Old 12-10-2003, 09:29 AM
haulingboat
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you think it is a drain on our economy now, just admit them as a state and imagine all the welfare parasites we would have to feed and house then.

Bad idea. Bad Bad idea.

Old 12-10-2003, 09:31 AM
grapegravy
Elder User
Are there International Sandcastle Building Tournaments? Might give us an advantage

Old 12-10-2003, 09:57 AM
95BXL
Junior User
Originally posted by haulingboat
If you think it is a drain on our economy now, just admit them as a state and imagine all the welfare parasites we would have to feed and house then.

Bad idea. Bad Bad idea.
Word.

Old 12-10-2003, 10:39 AM
sinjin
Posting Guru
If we have the best way of life we should be able to export the desire to emulate us without throwing a lot of lead to get the ball rolling.

Old 12-10-2003, 04:31 PM
HerbertKornfeld
Senior User
Originally posted by Jimmy Dean
S.Kuteman, that was htin, in todays world, in it most easily possible....remember the example you give are when it took 3 MONTHS to get from France to the east coast and a few more weks to et to Lousiana.

In this world, I think the opposite is true.

Look at the balkanization of Europe. It seems to be getting harder and harder to keep empires together.

Old 12-10-2003, 04:37 PM
drunkenmonk
Posting Guru
Originally posted by sinjin
If we have the best way of life we should be able to export the desire to emulate us without throwing a lot of lead to get the ball rolling.
do we have the best way of life? we, myself included think so, but others despise us for our way of life. I'm sure alot of that is jealousy, but is all of it?

Old 12-10-2003, 04:57 PM
ctfuzzy
Posting Guru
Re: Manifest Destiny

I think that given the volume of actual "raw" information in the public domain, we owe those we elected the . . . dare i say it . . . loyalty, to hold in our hearts that not only is Manifest Destiny "still around" but the concept is being given legs in this situation.

Now, with that said; please do not ask me if the folks in control of those legs at this point are real . . . dip sticks, or not.

What I actually plan to do (personally), is keep a very sharp eye on those folks while I hold one end of the rug that they are standing on in my voting hand.

FWIW, IMHO and all that other stuff too.

Originally posted by OldSkoolRacer
So I was in the pig pen for quite a while longer than I like to be today and I got a brainstorm. It seems that whether your on the war wagon or not, all have some sort of "exit stragety" cooked up in their own minds. But I am presenting a new paradigm: whatever happened to Manifest Destiny? Why is it completely out of the question for America to settle Iraq, and eventually admit it as a state? The U.S. didnt get this large without westward expansion, why not middle eastward expansion? Dont get me wrong guys, Im simply presenting a different way of looking at things, and I wanna know your thoughts.

Old 12-10-2003, 09:56 PM
OldSkoolRacer
Senior User
Originally posted by Jimmy Dean

This is actualy where the idea started. My sister is stationed in Hawaii and she recently commented to me that a goodly number of the native Hawaiians resent non-natives and the U.S. in general (which initially made my redneck brain wonder why they don't try to seccede from the North...errr...I mean mainland). But it looks like the arangement works for them well enough to prevent uprisings, and the same true for the native American tribes.

Old 12-10-2003, 10:03 PM
ctfuzzy
Posting Guru
Originally posted by OldSkoolRacer
. . .My sister is stationed in Hawaii and she recently commented to me that a goodly number of the native Hawaiians resent non-natives and the U.S. in general (which initially made my redneck brain wonder why they don't try to seccede from the North...errr...I mean mainland). But it looks like the arangement works for them well enough to prevent uprisings, and the same true for the native American tribes.
Well, that or they could figure the crazy white men will blow their heads off and level their lands to build tourist traps.

It's not like the precedent hasn't been set, ya know.