Sponsored by:

electric 4x4 shift

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 11:33 PM
bIIcool
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by John Pen
Is it the same motor for 4x4 and low range. My 4x4 works fine, but yestarday the low range would not do anything. No clicking, no flashinng light.....
I am haveing the same problem with my 90 Bronco II. Where 4 HI works fine but when the 4 Low button is pressed it blinks with no sound coming from the shift motor. Is there another solution besides it being the motor?

Old 12-14-2003, 09:46 PM
eriojas
Freshman User
have a1992 bronco, made a post "stuck in 4 low", but theres no click when i push the buttons, all fuses allright, dont know if theres some outside fuse box, i think i identified the transfer case control module, it has a red LED and a white button? when i push the button the LED goes on, but still no click when pushing the button,bronco351, seems you know about this any suggestions, hope anyone can help me, ilive in mexico and theres not many a lot of this trucks here.

Old 12-14-2003, 09:53 PM
rlh
Posting Guru
Possibly a relay. There are some references to the relay on some recent threads.

Old 12-20-2003, 12:46 AM
bIIcool
Freshman User
I have tested the electronic control module for the electronic shift. According to the internal self test it is ok. I am starting to suspect a sensor is bad or has a missing connection. Is there a way to test this?

Old 12-28-2003, 12:34 AM
broncster
New User
so let me see if I understand. If there is no click when pushing the 4x4 button, it can either be a fuse, bad connection or the control module?

What if the truck goes into low when pushing the low button, yet there is no click with the 4x4 button. Is it still a fuse,...?
Are these two separate systems. Can the control module still be a problem? (there is no 4 wheel drive in either situation)

Old 12-28-2003, 12:39 AM
broncster
New User
blackford,

Is there another link for the transfer case repair site? I'm getting an error message.

Thanks for your help.

Old 12-28-2003, 06:20 AM
Black Ford XLT
Fleet Mechanic
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
addy

Bronc try typing it outside the site in ya address box ----hope this helps TR

Old 12-28-2003, 06:52 PM
John Pen
Tuned
Well, Its been a few weeks and the 4 wheel works ok when its warm..a few clicks and it goes in when its cold...Maby Im getting old, but Im sort of liking the not haveing to get out to lock my hubs...but Im sure that will prob bite me in the **** ame day...lol

Old 01-01-2004, 12:46 PM
bdonalds
Senior User
For what it's worth, I'll throw in my experience.

I have had a 92 f-150 4x4, for 4 years, and twice my 4x4 went out. Press the button, no clicks, no 4x4 lights come on. I found that the shift motor on the transfer case was the culprit. There is a round cover with three screws. Underneath, there is something that I can only describe as "like a record player". Four contacts, the "needles", and a circular deal, the "record". After cleaning off the record, and gently bending the "needles" for force better contact with the "record", all was well.

Hey, quit laughing! That's the best way I can think of to describe it wihtout looking up the technical names of the components!

Bryan

Old 01-03-2004, 05:14 PM
broncster
New User
Thanks Black Ford, found the link. Chock full of info. On to the next step...I'll have to get out my album cleaner, right andym.

Last edited by broncster; 01-03-2004 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-04-2004, 06:26 PM
Black Ford XLT
Fleet Mechanic
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Electric motor rebuild

Having my bronco for years now ive had to clean and rebuild my motor 2 times .The site in which i typed earlier, has great info and its free. They say these motors are 250-400 depending on where u live.If you follow the advice from doc Bob youll need a ohm meter and alot of patience, the cam can get off to where nothing will work . I do suggest if u plan on owning your vehicles for many years, do as i did ,install a plug for the brown green and blue wire( or stab locks (male) with female recievers electrical). makes it easier to drop this motor and you wont have to cut any wires(only initially). Hope this helps TR

Old 01-05-2004, 11:28 AM
funtastic
New User
Thumbs up Fixed Problem Thanks

Using the information in this site I fixed my 4X4 problem. The electric shift motor just needed a little cleaning and the little rubber stopper replaced. The information right down to how to get the wires out of the harness was about as perfect as could have been explained. Thanks to those of you who replied.
funtastic 4X4

Old 01-24-2004, 09:41 AM
jclopezv
Freshman User
I couldn't get this link:
http://www.glue.umd.edu/~singletn/web/pages/tcases.html
can somebody helo me with this?
Thank you

Old 01-24-2004, 09:43 AM
jclopezv
Freshman User
nevermind. I got it. Thanks

Old 01-24-2004, 05:34 PM
John Pen
Tuned
Ok ..it happened...came back from Florida last week...my Bronc had been at the airport in single digit temp for 9 days and I was plowed into my spot. I hit the remote starter from the shuttle and the truck started no problem. Got it all uncovered, hit the 4x4 button....click click click...nothing....ended up having to rock it back and forth in 2 wheel drive to get her out. Once everything warmed up, it worked like a champ. Its way to cold to climb under it to pull it off and clean it. Its been like this since Ive had it. When its cold, it wont go in, but as soon as it warms up, it works fine. Time to do a little Monster Garage here and design some sort of manual contraption to replace that motor !!!

Quick Reply: electric 4x4 shift