1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help with starting issue, please

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 10:21 AM
greencobra
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help with starting issue, please

guys, i'm hoping one of you may have an idea regarding a problem i'm having, and this may get long. i have a '13 super duty w/6.2 gas engine i bought new and now has 30,100 miles on the clock. since this past january, i've had an intermittent starting problem. sometimes the truck will exhibit no signs of the problem for weeks and then it will act up by not starting. i've had it ramped to the dealership, they have no clue. it doesn't put up a code. they tell me it may be a fuel pump or one of several "modules" that all cost $500 ea. to replace. i've had a fuel module replaced so far. one problem is when it gets ramped to the dealer and they try to take it in, it starts right up and they can't duplicate the problem.

so i've noticed some reoccurring things that may be a clue.
- this only happens in my driveway, never on the road. the first start of the day. if i leave it for 1/2 hour, most times when i go back it'll start. when i get it going, i can stop and restart all day with no issue.
- the truck will crank when the key is turned in the ignition but won't start. all electronics work.
- i've noticed when the truck runs normally, when i insert the key and turn, i would hear like a vacuum sound under the dash activate something and a muffled "click" coming from under the dash on the passenger side and then start up. now when it's not going to start i don't hear those activate. i have no clue what those sounds are, i'm not mechanical at all.
- the remote start on the fob doesn't work. i use to be able to hear the mechanism on the truck activate and then start up. then it went to the engine just cranking but no start, to now, nothing. i don't even hear the activation anymore. i have fresh batteries in the remote and the fob works for everything else, door locks, alarm, etc. all 3 of my fobs are acting the same.
- new battery installed in the truck last winter, holding the charge fine.

that's about all i can think of. i'm hoping someone has an idea. fuel pump will be close to $1k which i don't mind paying if i'm sure that's the problem. with all the modules and electronics on board that was suppose to make life simple, no one can get a handle on my problem. i did manage to record the engine just cranking but not turning over on my phone last week for the dealer to hear next time i go down.

thanks guys for looking, appreciate it.

Old 09-22-2020, 10:59 AM
seville009
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
i’m no mechanic; just a plain old driver.

Based on your description, i’d focus on the remote start system. it sounds like it’s sometimes interfering with the basic starting function.

if it was a fuel delivery or other engine component, I’d think you’d have more consistent issues.

maybe check the fuses and wiring for the remote start system;maybe reprogram the remotes.

also....i assume someone has checked for codes?

Old 09-22-2020, 11:10 AM
greencobra
Freshman User
Originally Posted by seville;19491268[/QUOTE

Based on your description, i’d focus on the remote start system.
seriously, exactly what i was thinking.

Originally Posted by seville009
assume someone has checked for codes?
yes, no codes at the dealer. i also had a buddy come to the house with his code reader when it was acting up. again showing nothing. odd i thought.

thanks!

Old 09-23-2020, 12:56 PM
greencobra
Freshman User
does your silence mean yes, i'm onto something here with the remote starter? or no one knows? i'm heading to a mechanic next week armed with what i know so far and hoping for the best.

Old 09-23-2020, 07:13 PM
metalsmith
Senior User
After market remote starts are known to be problematic . Remove it and see what it does then.

Old 09-23-2020, 07:54 PM
greencobra
Freshman User
Originally Posted by metalsmith
After market remote starts are known to be problematic . Remove it and see what it does then.
factory installed. it's an xlt lariat with damn near everything on board except what comes with king ranch and platinum trim levels.

Old 01-30-2021, 09:39 AM
greencobra
Freshman User
an update on my problem with this. i've struggled with this no start issue for a while, another thread i had up
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...g-problem.html
the truck has been to 2 dealerships and several shops in my area. no one had a clue. two things that the truck didn't do, show any codes and the non start issue was never duplicated at the repair facilities.

a buddy recommended a mechanic and garage 90 miles from my house. my friend owns a small farm and this guy repairs his trucks and some farm equipment. he worked as a mechanic for a ford dealership for 20+ years and left to open his own place. the beginning of december 2020 i gave it to the guy. lucky for me the truck failed to start while it was up there. he told me all along it was electrical and i was cringing. he found this mega pin connector under the hood on the left side was broken, looked like someone actually punched a hole in it. he could duplicate the symptoms by moving this connector in it's receptacle. so this small harness was replaced, i get the truck back and it's been starting every time, my problem seems gone. the part was $70 and the truck was up there for a week. i was lucky, my buddy gave me a loaner truck to use for that time. i'm going to call this closed.

Old 01-30-2021, 02:28 PM
Fatz29708
Senior User
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
If your anything like me, you hated having the problem but love that the solution was overall inexpensive, the wiring and electronics on these vehicles is nothing like the old points and condenser days, you know like when it was either a $2 part or a $5 part.