Engine Load

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2024, 04:49 PM
WE3ZS
Received 848 Likes on 586 Posts
Since you are pushing the envelope with your current combo I would suggest the best WD hitch that can fit into your budget. The Hensley Arrow and Pro Pride mentioned earlier are at the top of the food chain and their MSRPs reflect that, but search around for a used unit as they can be had for a fraction of new. I bought my Hensley 13 years ago used for $650 and it was about 12 years old at the time, so currently around 25 years old and still functioning perfectly, we have put over 80K heavy towing miles on it and they really are as good as the advertising says.

Old 03-25-2024, 05:35 PM
Dave1972
Cross-Country
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Since you are pushing the envelope with your current combo I would suggest the best WD hitch that can fit into your budget. The Hensley Arrow and Pro Pride mentioned earlier are at the top of the food chain and their MSRPs reflect that, but search around for a used unit as they can be had for a fraction of new. I bought my Hensley 13 years ago used for $650 and it was about 12 years old at the time, so currently around 25 years old and still functioning perfectly, we have put over 80K heavy towing miles on it and they really are as good as the advertising says.
Yes Sir! I'm heading out for the first trip of the year on Wednesday. After that, researching hitch upgrades is the priority. I'm going to study the setups meborder recommended and go from there. I looked into the Hensley hitch already and liked it. Plus, I was at Walmart a while back, and a guy resting with his RV had one and mentioned how good they are. It's expensive, but I like the idea of keeping my half-ton / my current setup. Even though the truck is getting old, I love it. I even put a ladder rack on it to store my kyaks, which works great. As for the cost of the hitch, I'm willing to go a couple of thousand bucks if it makes that big a difference, and from my understanding, the Hensley is the real deal. The only issue/thing I'm worried about is that they will ship it to me, and I have to put it together. So, I have to think that one through.

​​​​​​​I keep a pretty close eye on how the trucks running. The ScanGauge is really helpful.

Old 03-25-2024, 05:38 PM
Dave1972
Cross-Country
I just wonder, with my current setup...how it would handle say...Gatlinburg. I need to find some steep hills around me and try it out.

Old 03-25-2024, 05:41 PM
Dave1972
Cross-Country
Oh...LOVE the Excursion. I wish they still made them. I thought about purchasing one a while back...it seemed in great condition but...I couldn't justify having two pickup like vehicles - an Excursion and an F150 and...I don't wanna get rid of my pickup.

Old 03-25-2024, 08:34 PM
meborder
Received 369 Likes on 264 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave1972
I just wonder, with my current setup...how it would handle say...Gatlinburg. I need to find some steep hills around me and try it out.
the 4.6 is the little engine that could. It’s never the first to the top of the hill, but it will get you there every time.

try to run the hills around 4,000 rpm and don’t worry about the speed. Watch temps and let it buck

Old 03-25-2024, 09:16 PM
WE3ZS
Received 848 Likes on 586 Posts
Yes Sir! I'm heading out for the first trip of the year on Wednesday. After that, researching hitch upgrades is the priority. I'm going to study the setups meborder recommended and go from there. I looked into the Hensley hitch already and liked it. Plus, I was at Walmart a while back, and a guy resting with his RV had one and mentioned how good they are. It's expensive, but I like the idea of keeping my half-ton / my current setup. Even though the truck is getting old, I love it. I even put a ladder rack on it to store my kyaks, which works great. As for the cost of the hitch, I'm willing to go a couple of thousand bucks if it makes that big a difference, and from my understanding, the Hensley is the real deal. The only issue/thing I'm worried about is that they will ship it to me, and I have to put it together. So, I have to think that one through.

Assembly and mounting isn’t too bad, the upper and lower hitch heads come preassembled, the spring bars simply slip up into the lower head and are retained by a grease zerk assembly that just threads in. The frame brackets aren’t much different from most other WD setups, then the screw jacks slip onto the brackets and get a pinned to the spring bar end and the two screw struts get pinned at the upper head and the frame brackets. Once all is properly aligned and snugged up you are ready to tow!

Old 03-25-2024, 09:29 PM
Dave1972
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by meborder
the 4.6 is the little engine that could. It’s never the first to the top of the hill, but it will get you there every time.

try to run the hills around 4,000 rpm and don’t worry about the speed. Watch temps and let it buck
For the life of me...I never researched the 4.6. There was a post on one thread of one forum where a guy said it was a pig and I left it at that. But, I just did 5 minutes of research and found that it's one of the best engines ever made! I guess the crown vics (police cars and taxis) had that engine. Everything I read stated...everything else will go bad before the motor. I guess I've been lucky...I've also owned two 96 F150s with the straight 6 (former UPS engine)...it was a great engine as well...pulled my first TT with my first one. This is all good because, I love the truck and have always purchased older vehicles, invested a little money on the front end and then...kept fixing them (having a Ford dealer do the work). I've always found it's much cheaper that way than having 5 years of $500 payments. Anyway...thanks a TON for all your info and advice...it's been really great!

Old 03-25-2024, 09:31 PM
Dave1972
Cross-Country
Assembly and mounting isn’t too bad, the upper and lower hitch heads come preassembled, the spring bars simply slip up into the lower head and are retained by a grease zerk assembly that just threads in. The frame brackets aren’t much different from most other WD setups, then the screw jacks slip onto the brackets and get a pinned to the spring bar end and the two screw struts get pinned at the upper head and the frame brackets. Once all is properly aligned and snugged up you are ready to tow!
That awesome...really thinking about pulling the trigger on the Hensley. But...gonna make myself sleep on it for a couple of months. I might adjust the hitch angle and have an additional sway bar installed and see how that goes. Not sure yet.

Old 03-25-2024, 09:31 PM
Dave1972
Cross-Country
This forum is the best forum EVER! Great folks and outstanding advice!

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-26-2024, 08:54 AM
CheeseheadFord
Fleet Mechanic
Received 616 Likes on 412 Posts
For the life of me...I never researched the 4.6. There was a post on one thread of one forum where a guy said it was a pig and I left it at that. But, I just did 5 minutes of research and found that it's one of the best engines ever made! I guess the crown vics (police cars and taxis) had that engine. Everything I read stated...everything else will go bad before the motor. I guess I've been lucky...I've also owned two 96 F150s with the straight 6 (former UPS engine)...it was a great engine as well...pulled my first TT with my first one. This is all good because, I love the truck and have always purchased older vehicles, invested a little money on the front end and then...kept fixing them (having a Ford dealer do the work). I've always found it's much cheaper that way than having 5 years of $500 payments. Anyway...thanks a TON for all your info and advice...it's been really great!
4.6 is probably one of the best engines Ford ever made, but its gutless, reliable though. I was happy to find a 4.6 in my price range when we bought ours as opposed to the 5.4. But, there's no way I'd be pulling your camper with the 4.6 and especially not up and down mountains.... We took a vaca to Gatlinburg this past summer and there were plenty of half tons trying to do things that should be in SD/HD territory and were stuck on the side of the road, now I'm not saying yours will do the same but it's not something I'd not want to risk with family and friends on a camping trip. Anyway good luck and enjoy your camping trip(s) this year, don't take my responses wrong I'm just providing feedback based on my real world experience with a similar truck and camper that you're towing.

Old 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Dave1972
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by CheeseheadFord
4.6 is probably one of the best engines Ford ever made, but its gutless, reliable though. I was happy to find a 4.6 in my price range when we bought ours as opposed to the 5.4. But, there's no way I'd be pulling your camper with the 4.6 and especially not up and down mountains.... We took a vaca to Gatlinburg this past summer and there were plenty of half tons trying to do things that should be in SD/HD territory and were stuck on the side of the road, now I'm not saying yours will do the same but it's not something I'd not want to risk with family and friends on a camping trip. Anyway good luck and enjoy your camping trip(s) this year, don't take my responses wrong I'm just providing feedback based on my real world experience with a similar truck and camper that you're towing.
Thanks for the response and I absolutely don't take it the wrong way. All opinions and advice are great. I like hearing different perspectives!

I can see what your saying but...a 3/4 ton pickup is just a non-starter...I can't afford one. In a perfect world, I'd have a one ton dually! lol

Old 03-26-2024, 09:56 AM
CheeseheadFord
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks for the response and I absolutely don't take it the wrong way. All opinions and advice are great. I like hearing different perspectives!

I can see what your saying but...a 3/4 ton pickup is just a non-starter...I can't afford one. In a perfect world, I'd have a one ton dually! lol
Yeah unfortunately there aren't many well priced SD trucks on the market now. If you ever tow with one you'll understand what I'm saying and won't ever go back to a half ton if towing anything. Anyway stay safe and enjoy camping.

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-26-2024, 03:48 PM
meborder
Received 369 Likes on 264 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseheadFord
dude … we get it. You wouldn’t use his truck to pull his camper.
stated and restated.

your doomsday outlook on towing does not align with everyone’s opinion.

you wouldn’t tow my camper with my truck either. That doesn’t mean that I’m not 100% appropriate and safe while doing it.

the fact is that not everyone has the intestinal fortitude and attention to detail required to use a vehicle to 100% of its capabilities. Just because you wouldn’t do it doesn’t mean that it is inappropriate or unsafe.

Old 03-26-2024, 03:55 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 454 Likes on 331 Posts
Also, engine power is only ONE of the important attributes of a truck when handling a load, and to me, probably one of the LEAST important.
When I was a kid, heavy loads went up hill slower. sometimes when I'm feeling nostalgic these days, I'll even do that now, and guess what, it still works.

Old 03-26-2024, 04:12 PM
CheeseheadFord
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by meborder
dude … we get it. You wouldn’t use his truck to pull his camper.
stated and restated.

your doomsday outlook on towing does not align with everyone’s opinion.

you wouldn’t tow my camper with my truck either. That doesn’t mean that I’m not 100% appropriate and safe while doing it.

the fact is that not everyone has the intestinal fortitude and attention to detail required to use a vehicle to 100% of its capabilities. Just because you wouldn’t do it doesn’t mean that it is inappropriate or unsafe.
10-4! Just trying to help a fellow RV'er out, your OPINION doesn't align with mine and that's cool, that's the cool thing about opinions, we don't have to agree. I thought we were all here to help others out and give feedback, maybe so, maybe not?

Good luck OP, my comments were meant to provide constructive feedback and after rereading some of them it sounded like I was calling your truck a POS, which wasn't my intention at all (I owned my F150 with the 4.6 for 8 years so clearly its not a bad truck and never put a dime into it other than maintenance). Enjoy your camping trips, sounds like you probably already have some cool ones planned.

Quick Reply: Engine Load