2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Big brother watches, and You don't know it!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2024, 05:24 AM
Bruce M.
More Turbo
Received 346 Likes on 169 Posts
deleted.....

Old 03-14-2024, 05:45 AM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Received 967 Likes on 594 Posts
Originally Posted by Bruce M.
This Yankee is headed down there in a few weeks to mess crap up, then headed west to Texas to do the same, see ya there. haha
Not to worry I wouldn't dare bring the NY politics with me.
Me too. In a couple of days. I like it there for 3 weeks a year but wouldn't want to be year round. As far as politics, I never bring it up. But if someone there does I found that I agree with most Floridians that I've met the last 14 years of vacationing there.
I love my geographic part of NY but have zero use for state government here.

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-14-2024, 05:58 AM
thequietman45
4wd High
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile Romans 12:18

Well, I don't normally wade into this stuff but yes, we are spied upon daily by various means. Those of you with the "I've got nothing to hide so I don't care attitude." Ok that is a coping mechanism like everything else. THE B.L.U.F as we used to say, Bottom Line Up-Front is simply in todays age, you can take steps to mitigate being tracked but eliminating it is impossible. I am not hiding and I use all the privacy apps, VPN's and take other steps to ensure as much privacy as I can get. I use a company to scrub me off the internet monthly, I had my addess at the courthouse listed as unlisted (in TN that is a newer law that allows us to do that.) There are ways to defeat and / or mitigate being tracked but unless one is willing to take them.......

Anybody know of a good deal on tinfoil

2017 250 6.2 XLT with various upgrades

The following 2 users liked this post by thequietman45:
Old 03-14-2024, 06:25 AM
charlie g
Fleet Mechanic
Received 931 Likes on 521 Posts
if you guys think ford's spying, my wife drives a 2024 subaru crosstrek with what they call eyesite, OMG what she's found they don't know about how that car is driven, when it's driven, how much gas was used, when it was serviced last . she gets a monthly report emailed showing her every dame move.
yes i agree big bother has gone to far,

Old 03-14-2024, 06:46 AM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Received 967 Likes on 594 Posts
Originally Posted by thequietman45
Anybody know of a good deal on tinfoil
I go with the big roll from Sam's Club myself.

Old 03-14-2024, 07:23 AM
andrew8406
Mountain Pass
Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Quad Racer
I will say this the irony hasn’t escaped me that the discussion of privacy from the government and or FoMoCo is being held right here in the open on a sanctioned forum. Pretty damn stupid IMO.
But willingly. And even the fordpass app is pretty explicit that you’re trading some info for their continued payment of the cellular service for your truck that enables it to work. When you sign up it introduces you to the privacy policy. I’ve made a calculation for myself until this point that it’s a trade I may be willing to make. Facebook is “free,” in exchange for your data.

Driving around town I expect a police car could log that they saw me somewhere, even if I don’t like the idea of it being logged in a database or whatever. But there’s laws and foia compliance that can regulate what and how long they’ll keep it. Now it’s moving to private companies so that it isn’t nearly as open or regulated. Same with news organizations and large social platforms. The government is restricted from doing things, but they’re private entities, and as such, they face no meaningful regulation to stop them from behaving any which way and then accepting a payment from papa govt. to look that data over.

Yes, we’re sitting here talking about it, but that’s how change happens. Most people weren’t aware of the trade they were making with Facebook over a decade ago. Now people are either aware and fine with it, or are very careful what they post there, or allow Facebook to track them on. Other dominoes may fall as well.

We have idiots for legislators more often than not. It takes normal everyday citizens finding out and getting pissed about things before they realize they need to act on certain things. Or, in other cases, for citizens to vote them out so someone else will take action. It’ll take time, but discussions bringing these things to light is how the EU has GDPR laws allowing someone to opt out of a lot of this crap. It’s not perfect, but even California is starting to get privacy laws for citizens data.

it all starts with people finding out. Even if it’s on a forum on the internet.

The following 2 users liked this post by andrew8406:
Old 03-14-2024, 10:31 AM
acdii
Logistics Pro
Received 2,057 Likes on 1,396 Posts
Well, the Gov wants to ban Chinese TikTok. They don't want the Chinese to have all that spy data.

Instead they want to keep it in the borders for their use only!

I have a FB account but have not logged in for several years now and the only reason I haven't deleted it is I set up a page for my friends B-17 restoration and if I delete my account, that one goes with it.

Old 03-14-2024, 10:38 AM
GAZZILLA
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1,105 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by acdii
Well, the Gov wants to ban Chinese TikTok. They don't want the Chinese to have all that spy data.

Instead they want to keep it in the borders for their use only!

I have a FB account but have not logged in for several years now and the only reason I haven't deleted it is I set up a page for my friends B-17 restoration and if I delete my account, that one goes with it.
If I’m not mistaken the Bill to Ban TikTok gives the President the power to Ban Apps he wants to. More censorship!

Old 03-14-2024, 10:42 AM
OBS460
Cargo Master
Received 1,538 Likes on 992 Posts
Originally Posted by GAZZILLA
If I’m not mistaken the Bill to Ban TikTok gives the President the power to Ban Apps he wants to. More censorship!
Any app with over 1Million annual users would give e OUR government the backdoor to your data they want tiktok banned for. People who think the bill would just ban TikTok didn't read the whole bill. I think it is only 55 pages. Pretty short for a house bill.

Old 03-14-2024, 10:47 AM
GAZZILLA
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by OBS460
Any app with over 1Million annual users would give e OUR government the backdoor to your data they want tiktok banned for. People who think the bill would just ban TikTok didn't read the whole bill. I think it is only 55 pages. Pretty short for a house bill.
I don’t have time to read that. I’m too busy making tinfoil helmets in my bunker and searching the skies for drones.

Old 03-14-2024, 10:48 AM
acdii
Logistics Pro
Received 2,057 Likes on 1,396 Posts
Originally Posted by GAZZILLA
Haven't read it, just going by what was mentioned on it, but censorship is nothing new. Back in the time before talkies, they would censor movies and well into the 60's it continued, so nothing new in that regards. In the digital age though, anywhere, anything and anyone is spied upon regardless of where you are and what you are doing. You talk to the Tiktok generation about them taking your data, watching keystrokes and skimming information from your phones and they don't care.

Is it lack of education? Lack of not being in the real world? They don't seem to understand the impact data mining can have on their lives now and especially in the future. There was that TV show Person of Interest where AI was taking over the city. That was a TV show 10-15 years ago, but today it is more a reality than fiction. Our freedom is at stake in the big cities because there is always a camera somewhere watching.

Old 03-14-2024, 10:53 AM
GAZZILLA
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by acdii
Haven't read it, just going by what was mentioned on it, but censorship is nothing new. Back in the time before talkies, they would censor movies and well into the 60's it continued, so nothing new in that regards. In the digital age though, anywhere, anything and anyone is spied upon regardless of where you are and what you are doing. You talk to the Tiktok generation about them taking your data, watching keystrokes and skimming information from your phones and they don't care.

Is it lack of education? Lack of not being in the real world? They don't seem to understand the impact data mining can have on their lives now and especially in the future. There was that TV show Person of Interest where AI was taking over the city. That was a TV show 10-15 years ago, but today it is more a reality than fiction. Our freedom is at stake in the big cities because there is always a camera somewhere watching.
The biggest city I have to go to is Billings, 110,000 people. 2 hours of that freak show is about all I can take of it.

Old 03-14-2024, 10:56 AM
Quad Racer
Cargo Master
Received 158 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by andrew8406
But willingly. And even the fordpass app is pretty explicit that you’re trading some info for their continued payment of the cellular service for your truck that enables it to work. When you sign up it introduces you to the privacy policy. I’ve made a calculation for myself until this point that it’s a trade I may be willing to make. Facebook is “free,” in exchange for your data.

Driving around town I expect a police car could log that they saw me somewhere, even if I don’t like the idea of it being logged in a database or whatever. But there’s laws and foia compliance that can regulate what and how long they’ll keep it. Now it’s moving to private companies so that it isn’t nearly as open or regulated. Same with news organizations and large social platforms. The government is restricted from doing things, but they’re private entities, and as such, they face no meaningful regulation to stop them from behaving any which way and then accepting a payment from papa govt. to look that data over.

Yes, we’re sitting here talking about it, but that’s how change happens. Most people weren’t aware of the trade they were making with Facebook over a decade ago. Now people are either aware and fine with it, or are very careful what they post there, or allow Facebook to track them on. Other dominoes may fall as well.

We have idiots for legislators more often than not. It takes normal everyday citizens finding out and getting pissed about things before they realize they need to act on certain things. Or, in other cases, for citizens to vote them out so someone else will take action. It’ll take time, but discussions bringing these things to light is how the EU has GDPR laws allowing someone to opt out of a lot of this crap. It’s not perfect, but even California is starting to get privacy laws for citizens data.

it all starts with people finding out. Even if it’s on a forum on the internet.
I understand your concept but our government is NOT listening to its people. They’re rouge at a minimum doing all sorts of things that we don’t want them to do.

Old 03-14-2024, 11:01 AM
Y2KW57
Received 3,458 Likes on 1,818 Posts
Hang on a second...

Old 03-14-2024, 12:21 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,458 Likes on 1,818 Posts
This thread, as defined by the thread title, discusses a really important topic.

It is also squarely relevant within this sub-forum on 2017+ Super Duty trucks, because it is these very trucks, whose data collecting modules and over the air communication ability to transmit the data collected without our cognizant consent, that are guilty of betraying our increasingly false understanding of personal privacy.

To purchase and use a truck for what we need it to do, we are required to agree to a lot of consequences we are not even aware of, where the only way to "opt out" is to not use the truck at all. UNLESS... we, by crowd sourced discussion, discover otherwise. That is what this thread COULD be about, if we keep it on topic.

We are not going to solve immigration, rape, war, or Government on FTE.

But maybe, through tidbits of shared discovery, such as what can be derived via open discussion on this forum, we can learn more about what data about our vehicle usage is being collected by our Ford trucks, what of that data is being shared, to whom it is being shared with, and how, by either overt or covert means, the sharing of that data can be eliminated or at least limited, by those so inclined.

That is where FTE can be useful. Let's take advantage of this forum to make good use of our ability to discuss this important issue about our cloud connected Ford trucks... and leave the macro political discussions to other forums on the internet that tackle those problems.

Thank you for your participation and understanding.

Thread reopened.

The following 8 users liked this post by Y2KW57:
350Recon, Bruce M., extrachrispy, GAZZILLA, MR Smitty, Pickupmanx2, ShotgunZ71, Split rims and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: Big brother watches, and You don't know it!