Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Bad fuel sending unit? Help please

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2024, 11:03 PM
Kranjack20
5th Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RacinJasonWV
Yes. Take the numbers off the orange Baldwin filter and check the specs. Some other guys in here can tell you the best micron to use for a pre filter. If you go too small (fine) then it can starve the pump.

And yes, if this isn’t a daily driver then I’d pull it apart to see what you need before ordering parts. You can probably get some of these local as well. But when you order from Riffraff you know it’s quality parts.
partsgeek is showing the motorcraft brand sending unit for only $316. Is this legit ?

https://www.partsgeek.com/k6mcg3z-fo...ding-unit.html

Old 02-27-2024, 11:34 PM
duck fan
Because racetruck

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Kranjack20
partsgeek is showing the motorcraft brand sending unit for only $316. Is this legit ?

https://www.partsgeek.com/k6mcg3z-fo...ding-unit.html
Aft Axle tank means the tank is behind the rear axle. An F250 and 350 have a midship tank so according to this description it isn’t correct for a standard truck because the senders are different.

The following users liked this post:
Old 02-27-2024, 11:47 PM
Kranjack20
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by duck fan
Aft Axle tank means the tank is behind the rear axle. An F250 and 350 have a midship tank so according to this description it isn’t correct for a standard truck because the senders are different.
damn okay. Thanks.

Old 02-28-2024, 03:04 AM
udsuth78
Logistics Pro
Received 1,257 Likes on 949 Posts
Is there a reason for not doing the Hutch mod and doing away with all the trouble areas inside the tank? I mean the pick up foot is defiantly the most obvious problem associated with the assembly, but it's far from the only reason to ditch that mess in favor of something "bullet proof". Even if you replace the entire assy. with a new Motorcraft unit, guess what you're going to be doing in 5-10 years. That's right dropping the tank again to fix another broken pick up foot, but it's your money and your truck so do what you feel is right. I would recommend that you research the issue completely though before any repairs are made. That goes for this and any future hiccups that may come along.

Old 02-28-2024, 06:43 AM
Kranjack20
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by udsuth78
Is there a reason for not doing the Hutch mod and doing away with all the trouble areas inside the tank? I mean the pick up foot is defiantly the most obvious problem associated with the assembly, but it's far from the only reason to ditch that mess in favor of something "bullet proof". Even if you replace the entire assy. with a new Motorcraft unit, guess what you're going to be doing in 5-10 years. That's right dropping the tank again to fix another broken pick up foot, but it's your money and your truck so do what you feel is right. I would recommend that you research the issue completely though before any repairs are made. That goes for this and any future hiccups that may come along.
well I’m reluctant to do it because I don’t like the idea of the fuel being unfiltered

Old 02-28-2024, 06:53 AM
RacinJasonWV
Lead Driver
Received 1,632 Likes on 1,148 Posts
Thanks Tpayne for clearing up the Baldwin filter as being ok to use.

well I’m reluctant to do it because I don’t like the idea of the fuel being unfiltered
Once again. You have a Baldwin prepump filter on the frame and the factory fuel filter inside the fuel bowl. It’s not unfiltered.

I see only 2 potential issues with the Hutch mod.
1- the mixing chamber helps prevent fuel gelling during extreme cold conditions. This is because the returned fuel is a bit warmer and it goes back into the chamber and heads back to the pump. BUT this is also why it’s a problem. Air gets into the system and can’t get out. It just goes round and round until the engine eats it.
2- no pickup foot could allow a piece of debris to block the inlet. I’ve seen someone here get a sticker in their tank which blocked the pipe used as the pickup. A pickup foot may have allowed it to still pull fuel since it has more surface area. But it still may have covered it and stopped flow. You can still use a pickup foot with the Hutch mod of you desire.

I suspect your truck already has the Hutch mod installed since it has the frame filter. I think either the foot has failed or there’s a loose connection in the tank.

Old 02-28-2024, 07:02 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,473 Likes on 2,857 Posts
The filter is on top of the engine in the "fuel bowl". You also have a Baldwin filter mounted to the frame.

The pickup foot in the tank has a screen on it, not a filter. The pickup foot is likely broken (as said multiple times above) and not allowing you to use the last 1/4 tank of fuel.

If you decide to replace the OEM sending unit with a sketchy AutoZone part, someone here may buy the OEM unit from you.

Good luck to you!

Old 02-28-2024, 07:31 AM
Kranjack20
5th Wheeling

Once again. You have a Baldwin prepump filter on the frame and the factory fuel filter inside the fuel bowl. It’s not unfiltered.

1- the mixing chamber helps prevent fuel gelling during extreme cold conditions. This is because the returned fuel is a bit warmer and it goes back into the chamber and heads back to the pump. BUT this is also why it’s a problem. Air gets into the system and can’t get out. It just goes round and round until the engine eats it.
2- no pickup foot could allow a piece of debris to block the inlet. I’ve seen someone here get a sticker in their tank which blocked the pipe used as the pickup. A pickup foot may have allowed it to still pull fuel since it has more surface area. But it still may have covered it and stopped flow. You can still use a pickup foot with the Hutch mod of you desire.

I suspect your truck already has the Hutch mod installed since it has the frame filter. I think either the foot has failed or there’s a loose connection in the tank.
Okay. I’ll look more into the mod. I don’t wanna deal with this again. If the truck already has the mod he must’ve done something wrong or something broke?

Old 02-28-2024, 07:32 AM
Kranjack20
5th Wheeling

I’ll take it apart this weekend and see what I’m dealing with.

Old 02-28-2024, 08:12 AM
Tpayne621
Cargo Master
Received 1,092 Likes on 703 Posts
You have more the enough filtration already. The spin on Baldwin filter is before tbe pump so it will protractor the pump from any kind of debris at all. Chances are judging by the added on spin on filter the hutch mod could already be done and the corner strainer on tbe bottom just rotted off again. Just pull it apart and come back and post pics and we can let you know. I would not replace the pickup at all.

The following 2 users liked this post by Tpayne621:
Old 02-28-2024, 02:23 PM
Kranjack20
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by Tpayne621
You have more the enough filtration already. The spin on Baldwin filter is before tbe pump so it will protractor the pump from any kind of debris at all. Chances are judging by the added on spin on filter the hutch mod could already be done and the corner strainer on tbe bottom just rotted off again. Just pull it apart and come back and post pics and we can let you know. I would not replace the pickup at all.
what about my fuel gauge jumping? How do I fix that?

Old 02-28-2024, 02:42 PM
RacinJasonWV
Lead Driver
Received 1,632 Likes on 1,148 Posts
That’s being caused by the air. Fix your air intrusion and your fuel woes will likely go away.

edit: I misread that as fuel pressure gauge not the fuel level gauge. 🤦‍♂️

Not sure how much it’s jumping. Maybe it’s not a huge deal. While you have the tank down do the Harpoon mod too. It will get you a few more gallons of fuel in the tank when filling up.

Old 02-28-2024, 06:19 PM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,141 Likes on 651 Posts
More than likely it's just a dirty sending unit. Think rheostat made by kids in China as a school project that is more flimsy than any toilet bowl float you've ever messed with. That part is tiny, janky, and usually the exposed contacts get dirty. You can take a toothbrush and brake cleaner then fine sandpaper to it if you want to clean the contacts; once you drop the tank to fix the broken pick-up foot and solve your empty at 1/4 of a tank issue

I redid mine like a few others have, compression fitting to extend the original metal pickup to the bottom of the tank, toss the mixing chamber, drill out the new pickup foot (screen) some and put it over the end of the extended tube to keep any additive stickers/lid seals from clogging the 3/8" tubing.

Racor120 fuel filter screen pre pump to protect the pump. The fuel bowl filter on the engine does the fine filtering to protect the injectors,just as the factory engineers intended

Old 02-28-2024, 09:09 PM
Socket
Cross-Country
Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts
Not sure if it’s been mentioned, but based off the looks I believe that’s a driven diesel Hutch kit. This is based off of the BF1212 filter and the yellow push lock. If there’s a similar bracket to what’s in their kit, I’d say it is theirs. I’ve been running their V1 setup since 2019 with no issues and it looks very similar to your setup. I’d be surprised if there’s mixing chambers still in the tank.

https://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/driven-diesel-fuel-tank-mod-73l-ford.aspx

I’d personally be dropping the tank and seeing what you have before ordering anything. If you want to post a picture of the bracket that the filter head is mounted to it’ll help too just to possibly confirm the kit.

Old 02-28-2024, 09:24 PM
Kranjack20
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by Wes444
More than likely it's just a dirty sending unit. Think rheostat made by kids in China as a school project that is more flimsy than any toilet bowl float you've ever messed with. That part is tiny, janky, and usually the exposed contacts get dirty. You can take a toothbrush and brake cleaner then fine sandpaper to it if you want to clean the contacts; once you drop the tank to fix the broken pick-up foot and solve your empty at 1/4 of a tank issue

I redid mine like a few others have, compression fitting to extend the original metal pickup to the bottom of the tank, toss the mixing chamber, drill out the new pickup foot (screen) some and put it over the end of the extended tube to keep any additive stickers/lid seals from clogging the 3/8" tubing.

Racor120 fuel filter screen pre pump to protect the pump. The fuel bowl filter on the engine does the fine filtering to protect the injectors,just as the factory engineers intended
i thought the point of this mod was not to put that bottom umbrella screen back on so that it doesn’t break off again?

Quick Reply: Bad fuel sending unit? Help please