Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Stereo head unit

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2024, 02:46 PM
bwguardian
Fleet Mechanic
Received 159 Likes on 131 Posts
Stereo head unit

I'm wanting to replace the factory stereo head unit in our trucks. The Excursion has a 500 watt amp that I'm sure shouldn't cause too many issues trying to get that to work with the new unit. I'm wanting to get a touch screen double din unit which will fit in the existing hole. I seem to recall there are at least 2 different touch screens, one of which is better than the other...maybe active? I'd love to see what units people have used and your thoughts on them. I am also wondering if the OBII ELM 327 cable could be hooked up to the head unit with Forscan installed to be able to monitor engine/transmission data on the screen. I like this idea better than having a separate monitor for this.

Old 02-18-2024, 03:12 PM
INFRNL
Laughing Gas
Received 130 Likes on 109 Posts
I use a Kenwood Excelon Reference.
I don't know how the forscan deal works but have been curious myself. My guess is the head unit has to be android based which most likely means a cheap chinese unit...maybe a joying or similar, IDK

The following users liked this post:
Old 02-19-2024, 08:23 PM
bigtexan99
Laughing Gas
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
I have the Atoto A6 PF and am overall happy with it. I added a backup camera and steering wheel controls with a little stick on control ****.

It can accept 2 bluetooth connections, so one is your phone and the other is the ODBII connector. It's android so you can install whatever app you want to monitor your gauges.

Old 02-20-2024, 02:19 PM
udsuth78
Logistics Pro
Received 1,345 Likes on 1,007 Posts
I believe @Sous has a pretty extensive thread on this subject I'll see if I can dig it up.

Edit: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...t-project.html

Old 02-21-2024, 09:01 AM
bwguardian
Fleet Mechanic
I've been looking at both the aforementioned units...plus a Pioneer and Alpine units. Do either of you @INFRNL and @bigtexan99 have pictures of it installed...and did you need to install a spacer on each side of the opening for the gap. It looks like the Atoto is basically just a tablet, and comes with either having the controls along the bottom or the driver side.

Old 02-21-2024, 09:09 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,567 Likes on 2,895 Posts
The ATOTO is basically a tablet. Although, it has inputs and outputs like a stereo/head unit.

Old 02-21-2024, 09:17 AM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
At first, ordered a Soundstream VR-651B from Crutchfield. It came with the wire harness and dash kit so was a real easy install. Did not think it was bad at all for $150. This stereo lasted about 4 years and then just died. Was upset, and did not want to spend a lot of money to replace it. Looked around, and found one like this on Amazon:

Amazon Amazon

Got it for $50. Already had the wire harness, so just had to do a little soldering to adapt it to this head unit. This one has been in the truck for 4 years now and has been great. The only thing that would be done different now, is to get one of these units that has the Bluetooth air play. But, it is not a deal breaker.

There are several affordable options out there, you just need to look.

Old 02-21-2024, 01:11 PM
INFRNL
Laughing Gas
Received 130 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by bwguardian
I've been looking at both the aforementioned units...plus a Pioneer and Alpine units. Do either of you @INFRNL and @bigtexan99 have pictures of it installed...and did you need to install a spacer on each side of the opening for the gap. It looks like the Atoto is basically just a tablet, and comes with either having the controls along the bottom or the driver side.

Old 02-21-2024, 02:50 PM
Tpayne621
Cargo Master
Received 1,152 Likes on 742 Posts
I'm a fan of the android he's units. Good ones not the cheapest ones Amazon sells. One I have it mine is around $500 but it's a real nice unit. 0 lag, loads everything instantly and anything you put on a tablet you can have on it. It's a "teyes" brand.

Old 02-21-2024, 04:13 PM
bigtexan99
Laughing Gas
Mine looks just like the INFRNL posted in his pictures. The Atoto sits in the space with no screws, it's sort of wedged in there with its side panels and it nice and steady. There is a little gap on either side and I filled it in with some foam that I cut to size.

The wire hanging in front is not part of the radio, its for my dashcam.

Old 02-22-2024, 10:19 AM
bwguardian
Fleet Mechanic
It looks like the Atoto 6 series in the thread linked above was discontinued, but maybe superceded by the 6PF that has 2 options.
This one has bottom button controls for the screen, which is IPS:
Amazon Amazon
This one has full touch screen with a QLED screen:
Amazon Amazon
Other than those options, they appear to be the same and come with GPS antenna, external microphone, etc. The thing I'm not sure of which will come into play for the Excursion...and maybe the Edge...is the built-in pre-amplifier with Max 4x45W, RMS 4x24W. The Excursion has a 500 watt amplifier wired into the stock stereo head unit, so I would be hopeful it could also be hooked up to these head units. The Excursion also has 6 speakers instead of 4. I'm also wondering about the difference in the screens...IPS versus QLED...as I want to be able to see the screen from either seat without glare and/or having to look at it straight on.

This Kenwood unit looks a little wider to fit the space better, has a Capacitive touch screen like the cell phones, comes with a microphone, and has a sub-woofer inlet. It only has one usb port off the back and doesn't have a GPS antenna, so assuming that would have to come off the cell phone. I'm sure there are other Kenwood units like the Excelon Reference INFRNL has, but trying to stay in the same price point given I may do 3 vehicles:
Amazon Amazon

It looks like @bigtexan99 went with the Atoto 6PF version that has the bottom button controls and the IPS screen instead of the other touch screen I linked above. Since they are the same price with relatively the same included options, I'm wondering if the screens would be comparable as far as being able to view/see them. I would assume the voice command may help pulling things up over the touch screen...

Old 02-22-2024, 07:37 PM
bigtexan99
Laughing Gas
I would recommend you get a unit that has physical button controls, as well as a touch screen. It is surprisingly difficult to try and use the touch screen while driving due to bouncing and jostling. It's much easier to reach over and push or turn the button you want instead of using the touch screen. The (not included) steering wheel remote add-on is worth the money if your rides do not already have steering wheel controls.

I don't have an amp in my truck, but the atoto has line level converter outputs to connect to an external amp, and the blue wire to power on the external amp.

The following 3 users liked this post by bigtexan99:
Old 02-23-2024, 03:35 AM
John in OkieLand
Fleet Mechanic
Received 612 Likes on 470 Posts
I hate Touchscreen Volume controls, almost impossible to find while driving,
a ****, you can feel with your fingers, and Twist.

Old 02-23-2024, 08:16 AM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Looks pretty good.

Old 02-23-2024, 09:29 AM
bwguardian
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by empiretc
Looks pretty good.

How difficult was it to get that blue oval to show up on the screen...I'm assuming on boot up...

Quick Reply: Stereo head unit