Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Battery Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2024, 07:43 PM
Big-Red-Lariat
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Battery Replacement

After 4 years in cold climate, I usually change my battery on trucks. With all the new electronics nowadays, on the 2020 do we need to do anything special to retain the various truck memory settings or just disconnect and swap, same as older trucks?

Old 01-11-2024, 01:56 AM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
You have an advanced Battery Control system called BMS.
It monitors the battery over its life for aging, time in service and adjust the way it charges and some other parameters.
The Battery type is AGM and should be replaced with the same type and size.
At that time, there is a RE-SET to be done to tell the BMS a new Battery has been installed and not to treat the new one the same as the old one.
This Re-Set is not done by just powering down but done with a tool or procedure, so the data is not lost from other services that may be required, does not cause data loss on the original in place Battery.
As well, replacing a Battery anytime results in the computer rebooting its program, clearing all learned data but does not Reset the BMS located in a different Module.
Charging: Do not use a Charger not designed for AGM uses because the voltage has to be kept down to no more than 14.8 v for AGM charging. Reason is the Battery is sealed Cells and a different internal design and may blow the seals from excess heat of higher voltage charging.
The system is no longer like the old style simple Lead Acid and Alternator systems.
Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-11-2024, 07:07 AM
SpencerPJ
Laughing Gas
Received 193 Likes on 159 Posts
I agree, personally I would do a reset as stated above. That said, I saved a link to an older post, with information from Ford Engineer on Battery Management (see post #27)
So, I am not 100% sure it is completely necessary. https://www.f150forum.com/f118/new-b...460039/index3/

Old 01-11-2024, 08:48 AM
COFLHTK
Mountain Pass
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
BM Reset Procedure:Procedure must be carried out within 10 seconds:

1. Switch ignition on (don't start)

2. Pull and release high beam 5 times

3. Press and release brake pedal 3 times

4. If successful the battery light will flash 3 times within the next 15 seconds

5. BMS reset completed

The following 4 users liked this post by COFLHTK:
Old 01-11-2024, 10:30 AM
Olds64
Cargo Master
Received 329 Likes on 284 Posts
Thanks for the link. I guess I need to get Forscan and find a thread on how to use it.

Old 01-11-2024, 12:11 PM
jake415
Tuned
Received 123 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Olds64
Thanks for the link. I guess I need to get Forscan and find a thread on how to use it.
You won't regret the time spent with FORScan. Have fun!

Old 01-11-2024, 04:17 PM
KJ Smith
Laughing Gas
Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Olds64
I just replaced the battery in my 2017.
6.5 yrs. and 143k miles.

You can try the light flashing/brake pushing if you want.
In my owner's manual it says you can replace the battery and let the truck sit for 8 hrs. and it should reset itself.

I did the light flash/brake push and then let it sit for 8 hrs.
No issues.

The following 2 users liked this post by KJ Smith:
Old 01-14-2024, 10:12 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by KJ Smith
I just replaced the battery in my 2017.
6.5 yrs. and 143k miles.

You can try the light flashing/brake pushing if you want.
In my owner's manual it says you can replace the battery and let the truck sit for 8 hrs. and it should reset itself.

I did the light flash/brake push and then let it sit for 8 hrs.
No issues.

The 8 hour time period is for the BMS to learn the new battery state of charge.....only.
This is NOT a re-set action.
Two different actions.

Old 01-14-2024, 10:36 PM
JKBrad
Received 807 Likes on 592 Posts
The first time I replaced my battery I just let it sit for half a day before putting the new one it. I topped of the charge before doing so, they are never 100% when you buy a new one. Anyway, that battery lasted 6 years with no issues all of those years.

Last month I put a new one in. I did the BMS reset sequence this time. Don’t know what good, if any, it will do.

Old 01-14-2024, 11:08 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by JKBrad
The first time I replaced my battery I just let it sit for half a day before putting the new one it. I topped of the charge before doing so, they are never 100% when you buy a new one. Anyway, that battery lasted 6 years with no issues all of those years.

Last month I put a new one in. I did the BMS reset sequence this time. Don’t know what good, is any, it will do.
For learning, look up Ford Doc 414-00 pdf on Charging System General Information.
Pay particular attention to the repeated notices in bold print about Re-Set and what it is, and why. When to do it and when not to.
Good luck.

Old 01-15-2024, 09:15 AM
SpencerPJ
Laughing Gas
Received 193 Likes on 159 Posts
My struggle is, with the online Operations manual for my 2020, under 'changing the battery' it states to let vehicle sit 8 hrs without operation to let system learn the state of charge, and makes absolutely no mention of resetting the BMS.
https://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...&buildtype=web

Old 01-15-2024, 10:39 AM
rvpuller
Received 433 Likes on 283 Posts
Originally Posted by Big-Red-Lariat
After 4 years in cold climate, I usually change my battery on trucks. With all the new electronics nowadays, on the 2020 do we need to do anything special to retain the various truck memory settings or just disconnect and swap, same as older trucks?
On our 2020 that I leave with the battery disconnected all winter I just hook it up and start it. Haven't had a problem since far.

Denny

Old 01-15-2024, 04:40 PM
flumewalt
5th Wheeling
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Amazingly, my OEM Ford battery in my 2015 F150 lasted 8+ years Have never had a battery last that long, but I monitored quarterly with my OBD-II scanner and the battery was still good. (I changed it out at 8 years before leaving it for a month at an airport lot as I was nervous). I use a memory preserver that plugs into the ODB port when changing batteries so all settings are preserved. The Ford Battery Control system will monitor the new battery and adjust as needed after replacement.

Here's the memory preserver I used (on my Ford and a Subaru):
Amazon.com: OBD2 Car Memory Saver Protection Connector Automotive Battery Computer ECU Power Off Protector Vehicle Replacement Battery Leak Detection Tool 12V SAE Quick Release Adapter Supply Cable : Automotive Amazon.com: OBD2 Car Memory Saver Protection Connector Automotive Battery Computer ECU Power Off Protector Vehicle Replacement Battery Leak Detection Tool 12V SAE Quick Release Adapter Supply Cable : Automotive

I power it using a spare lawn mower battery, but any 12 v power source will work - remember to look at the indicator lights to make sure you connected to the correct polarity on the spare power source.

Old 01-16-2024, 11:33 AM
deserteagle69
Mountain Pass
Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by flumewalt
I use a memory preserver that plugs into the ODB port when changing batteries so all settings are preserved.
I had to change out the OEM battery in my 2016 a month ago. And was surprised that after I installed the new battery I didn't have to reset the clock or memory channels on the radio or anything else. I DID NOT do anything, connect anything, to make sure the system had power while the old battery was removed and the new on installed.

Old 01-17-2024, 10:05 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 216 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by deserteagle69
I had to change out the OEM battery in my 2016 a month ago. And was surprised that after I installed the new battery I didn't have to reset the clock or memory channels on the radio or anything else. I DID NOT do anything, connect anything, to make sure the system had power while the old battery was removed and the new on installed.
Same thing for me. I did let the truck sit for a day after I changed the battery, but everything seems to be working just fine.

The following users liked this post:

Quick Reply: Battery Replacement