1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

351c with C6, torque converter question

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2023, 06:24 PM
Crafty969
5th Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
351c with C6, torque converter question

Hi all, ran into a snag, I have a 351c and picked up a C6 tranny that was on a 351w. Seems as though the torque converter won’t go in far enough into engine to bolt up snug. Do I need to get a different torque converter or should it fit?
I would appreciate your help.

thanks

chris

Old 12-30-2023, 07:11 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,468 Likes on 1,408 Posts
I believe it should fit. Let me ask a couple questions and verify I understand your issue. Are you saying the torque converter won't go back into the transmission far enough for the transmission to fit against the back of the block? Or are you saying the engine and trans is bolted tight together, but you can't pull the torque converter far enough forward to bolt it to the flywheel?

If you have the correct torque converter for your transmission, the snout on the converter must fit into the pump, and there's a couple of flats on the snout that fit into the pump. It can be a bit tricky to get the two parts to mesh together, and many times there's a bit of spinning and pressure applying to get it to 'clunk' into the right place. You might think you have it, but you may not actually be in all the way. (been there, done that) Once you get it to the sweet spot, you'll definitely notice the difference, kind of like a door being shut on the first latch vs. the second latch and being closed tight all the way. If the torque converter is hitting against the flywheel/flexplate before the trans bolts to the engine, stop and take everything apart again and revisit the torque converter installation. Don't force it as you can damage the pump and/or break the trans case.

If you've got it all together and you can't pull the torque converter studs into the holes on the flexplate, you may have them set on the wrong holes and one is hanging up, or, which I've seen many times happen, there may be a drain plug on the torque converter and there should be a hole in the flexplate for that. If the plate isn't 'clocked' correctly with the plug going into its corresponding hole, it will keep the converter from bolting up tight. Again, don't force anything, and investigate where the plug is.

Let us know if this doesn't answer your concerns.

The following 2 users liked this post by 52 Merc:
Old 12-30-2023, 07:54 PM
Crafty969
5th Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
I believe it should fit. Let me ask a couple questions and verify I understand your issue. Are you saying the torque converter won't go back into the transmission far enough for the transmission to fit against the back of the block? Or are you saying the engine and trans is bolted tight together, but you can't pull the torque converter far enough forward to bolt it to the flywheel?

If you have the correct torque converter for your transmission, the snout on the converter must fit into the pump, and there's a couple of flats on the snout that fit into the pump. It can be a bit tricky to get the two parts to mesh together, and many times there's a bit of spinning and pressure applying to get it to 'clunk' into the right place. You might think you have it, but you may not actually be in all the way. (been there, done that) Once you get it to the sweet spot, you'll definitely notice the difference, kind of like a door being shut on the first latch vs. the second latch and being closed tight all the way. If the torque converter is hitting against the flywheel/flexplate before the trans bolts to the engine, stop and take everything apart again and revisit the torque converter installation. Don't force it as you can damage the pump and/or break the trans case.

If you've got it all together and you can't pull the torque converter studs into the holes on the flexplate, you may have them set on the wrong holes and one is hanging up, or, which I've seen many times happen, there may be a drain plug on the torque converter and there should be a hole in the flexplate for that. If the plate isn't 'clocked' correctly with the plug going into its corresponding hole, it will keep the converter from bolting up tight. Again, don't force anything, and investigate where the plug is.

Let us know if this doesn't answer your concerns.
I don’t think I had it seated all the way, spun it around until it clunked a couple times. I think it will be good now. Should there be a separator plate as well? I will need to order one if so.

thanks for the info

Old 12-30-2023, 08:03 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,468 Likes on 1,408 Posts
Good news you got the converter in all the way. Yes, the separator plate, as you called it, is called a Block Plate, and yes, you need one. It goes on before the flywheel.

The following users liked this post:
Old 12-31-2023, 02:50 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 187 Likes on 131 Posts
Wink

Flexplate on an auto, flywheel on a manual.