Sponsored by: Moser

1978 F100 300/3 tree pulled from the tree row

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2023, 11:06 PM
Hotrod429
4wd High
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1978 F100 300/3 tree pulled from the tree row

Still learning how to navigate this site. So please forgive me if I’m doing something odd.

Anyway, just wanted to share my latest project I’m wrenching on. It’s going to eventually be a flatbed and be used in my business to pick up and drop equipment off (lawn care machinery sales and service).

I’m new to Ford trucks, so I’m all ears when it comes to advice. I’ll be here regularly asking questions.

Talk to y’all’s later!

Where she sat for a while. Dunno how long, but nature started taking over

Rock solid 300. Anyone know if this is the original set up for the air cleaner?

CRUSTY interior

Only way we could load it to take it home. Not ideal, but it’s what we had to do. Home was <10 miles

Not in too bad shape it looks like.

Good scrub with some comet cleanser to get the moss and lichen off.

Still needs another good scrub and a cutnbuff, but unfortunately she will never be “glossy”. The moss/lichen grew into the paint. Not original paint anyway.

After messing with getting a starter, ending with the original starter rebuilt, time to charge the battery, and see what she does. Lawn mower tank rigged for fuel.

She fired up, so she got driven to in front of the garage for the next step.

Comparing my friends 250 to my 300. I like the 300 better lmao

Next step. PO took the red bed for his truck and put his on here. I’m going flat bed. So this is perfect. Pulled the old Dodge up to steal parts from it…

Yup. I had stuffed a Bronco tank under here previously. Now it’s going under the F100.

Yeah that original tank is crusty.

Waiting on other parts, the seats got pulled and pressure washed.

Then dyed red. Pup likes it.

Not bad at all. Between washing the seats, and drenching the interior on Lysol, I got rid of most of the rotten rat **** smell. And this is where I’m at lol

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-03-2023, 08:20 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,233 Likes on 1,903 Posts
It is cleaning up nicely.

On the air filter I do believe it is right for the truck.
I have a 81 F100 with a the 300 six and I also got the same filter off Ebay as I had none when I got the truck.
I know the 80's also had the normal looking round one but there is nothing wrong with that one.

I dont think that is the motor the truck came with from the factory.
The motor would be blue in color think yours is gray.
Also the oil fill would not stick up like that the cap would be flush with the valve cover.
But what you got works and I would not go changing it.
Dave ----

Old 09-03-2023, 08:58 AM
77&79F250
Received 3,408 Likes on 2,529 Posts
Welcome to FTE, nice project and nice progress. Keep us posted and make sure to join your FTE state chapter. Cali links below. I see it has NO power brakes either. I know how that feels and I had same set up a long time ago and no P/S either.

N Cali https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum90/
S Cali https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum103/

1/2 ton 2wd 6 cly, you will want a fairly light flat bed. Here are some free ideas.

Old 09-03-2023, 09:30 AM
Hotrod429
4wd High
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
It is cleaning up nicely.

On the air filter I do believe it is right for the truck.
I have a 81 F100 with a the 300 six and I also got the same filter off Ebay as I had none when I got the truck.
I know the 80's also had the normal looking round one but there is nothing wrong with that one.

I dont think that is the motor the truck came with from the factory.
The motor would be blue in color think yours is gray.
Also the oil fill would not stick up like that the cap would be flush with the valve cover.
But what you got works and I would not go changing it.
Dave ----

That’s what I was thinking, about it not being the original engine. It also has a LOT of vacuum lines capped, probably because nowhere for them to go on a 78 (with the engine being newer).

But she runs decently OK. So I’m not worried too much for now.

Although there are a couple 300’s in the junkyard near me I can grab a valve cover from.

Old 09-03-2023, 09:45 AM
Hotrod429
4wd High
Originally Posted by 77&79F250
Welcome to FTE, nice project and nice progress. Keep us posted and make sure to join your FTE state chapter. Cali links below. I see it has NO power brakes either. I know how that feels and I had same set up a long time ago and no P/S either.

N Cali https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum90/
S Cali https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum103/

1/2 ton 2wd 6 cly, you will want a fairly light flat bed. Here are some free ideas.

Thanks for the links and thanks for the ideas! It’s going to be a basic flat bed. Nothing fancy. I’m just tired of loading equipment into the bed of a lifted 4x4 diesel lol.

As far as the links, I need to update my profile. I joined when I was in California, and my brother gave me his 1978 Bronco.

A lot has changed, and I am now in IN, and need to go get the bronco still lol. Maybe next spring. I’m waiting for fuel prices to normalize, as it’s a $1500 round trip in (Diesel) fuel alone at these current prices! After everything is said and done, it’ll be closer to $2500 including everything else.

I love that it has no power brakes, no power steering, nothing fancy. Just a basic solid work truck.

It does have front disc brakes though, so that’s a bonus.

The brake system does need rebuilt, due to sitting. So if the local junkyard has a good booster, I may put it in.

But in reality, this truck is only going to be a local truck. 20 mile radius at most, as I’m a one man operation, and any farther means shutting down the shop for an extended time, or “after” regular hours/OT lol

I’m just glad it runs and moves at this point. Registration shows it was parked about 10 years ago. Still working out why. I found a couple bottles of head gasket fix in a bottle, but there’s no oil in the antifreeze, and no antifreeze in the oil. But that stuff was found in the “new” to it bed the guy swapped on there. So who knows!?

Old 09-03-2023, 05:43 PM
Hotrod429
4wd High
Had my nephews (10 and 11) for the weekend. They left, so I was able to get to the truck a bit. Not a lot of progress, but the more done today, the less to do tomorrow!

looks like the frame is thin where the upper shock mounts are mounted, and where the bumper brackets were attached. But the rest, while pitted, is pretty dang solid. For a Midwest truck.

Started with the wire wheeling of the rear frame. Wanting the most salt protection, though I know it’s a futile endeavor

Salt belt problems. Rusted threads.

Luckily, I’ve been having luck with thread chasers, cleaning them up half decently

Then spray with some penetrating oil and let soak. I feel like the oil soaks differently when the threads are clean(ish). Maybe I’m wrong!