1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

My 1966 F100 Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 02:28 PM
Murphy1966
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 1966 F100 Restoration

I have owned my 66 f100 for 3 years now here is some of the work I have done.

here is the truck as it currently looks today

3 years ago when we bought the truck (the truck did run "turn key" when we bought it we just didn't want to chance a breakdown. we didn't know the mechanical state of the truck, so we had my fathers uncle tow it with his flatbed)

loading it up

here it is at home

gave the white paint a touch up

got rid of those "car hubcaps"

dog dish definitely look better even if they are not the correct hubcaps for the truck

time to fix the rust!

rust free front clip pieced together from different trucks

scored a new old stock radiator support off of a local garage that had it in the back. 75 bucks!

fun little project made these caps for my tires

sandblasting is done

had to cut the old support to remove it but this photo does show how rotted it was

got some 1973-79 twin I beams for my power disc brake upgrade.... Interestingly Enough they came out of another 66 ford but it had a rotted frame so the guy was parting out the truck. ended up scoring a dome light, factory Am radio and a manual transmission petal assembly... which I will be using later

time for the old I beams to come out

new disc brake I beams installed with all new radius arm bushings and "I beam pivot bushings"... (if thats what they are called)

the Ol' single pot next to the power disc brake master cylinder

was surprised that the master cylinder just bolted right on!

new spring we got with the I beams, they didn't end up working because they were "V8 springs and were too stiff for the lighter 240 inline 6

painted upper valence and stone deflector. (the stone deflector was the only reproduction body panel we used, we got it from LMC truck)

slip on Cab mount covers from Flashback F100s (did these on both sides)

patch panel welded in from Flashback f100s had to do this on both sides (only have pictures from driver side)

before and after

all patched up with metal welded in

drivers side

dry fitting the fenders

the whole front clip painted!

starting to come together

not mine but this is the braking setup I went with. I used a proportioning valve from Jegs

cut out the cancer in the door

weld metal in

cut out cancer in the bedsides

weld new metal in

body filler was only used over newly welded in metal to smooth the body

brown primer

cab corners welded up

painting up

paint almost done

fuel pump went bad Because the truck was siting from June to November

body looks much better

truck is back on the road

hauling with the 66!

noticed on the roof there was a name carved into the CB antenna

in the cab there was also a pair of pliers with the same name on them

ended up finding the obituary of Man himself Mr. Ben Corsere of Edwardsville Illinois. Through facebook I tracked down his daughter who said she was in tears when she saw the pictures of her fathers truck on my facebook

he was an over the road truck driver for consolidated freightways in st. Louis Missouri. she said she learned to drive on the truck back when it was 3 on the tree, she remembers riding in the back of the truck and fishing with her father. she also said that he bought a new ford truck but he never drove it because it wasn't as good as his 66.she said he had his name in white letters on the door because he didn't want anyone stealing it, Mr Corsere died in 1999

in 2000 the truck was sold at auction in St. Louis Missouri to a man that lived in dorchester Massachusettsthe man in dorchester swapped in an AOD transmission and kept the original 240 inline. in may 2015 it was sold to the man I bought it from he sold it to me in September of 2015

did a cherry bomb exhaust

chrome bumper from the junkyard for 100 bucks

bought this 66 (with a 61 grill) factory 4x4 I had plans on restoring it as well but then determined I didn't have the funds to build 2 trucks. I bought it for 700 bucks and sold it for 1100.

at this time the old 240 had become tired and was in need of a rebuild so the front clip came off again Because I planned to paint the frame and pull the engine and trans in 1 piece

my friend bobby who has been working on his 78 f150 4x4 for years, that has a 300 inline 6 that he had just freshend up was planning on doing a v8 swap so I bought the old engine off him for $260 bucks

the 300 that he rebuilt in his 78

pulling the 300 out of the 78

putting the 300 in my friend nicks 92 chevy which he has frame off rebuilt

pulling the old 240 and AOD transmission

the AOD and worn out 240 inline 6

this t18 came with my blue f100 4x4 so I basically got it for free, I painted it and the Bell-housing Cast iron grey

the 300 and T18 4 speed mated together.

had to take the top cover off the tranny to get it to fit under the cab

Installed

Installing the reverse lights switch

petal assembly installed

bought this 4x4 floor pan from a man in Wisconsin sanded it and painted it red, covered the transfer case hole.

dry fits well

front clip back on

upgraded my ignition I have a MSD box ford with the stock 1978 distributor and a MSD blaster 2 coil

cutting a hole in the floor for the clutch rod because the truck has had new floor pans since it was an automatic

getting the wiring hooked up

the wiring is all cleaned up

had a problem with the new steering column the bottom plastic retainer was coming out. we ended up holing it in with self tappers, works good

drove to my Buddys shop to have exhaust put on with open headers SOOO LOUD

ended up doing duel exhaust all the way back with thrush glass packs

Lettered the tailgate

before and after

the old 240 block

loaded my belongings in and went to college

where it is today

Old 10-02-2018, 03:14 PM
vze2c2gb
Tuned
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
First off let me say nice job on the restore the truck looks great. Awesome job documenting your work good luck with the truck.

Old 10-02-2018, 04:25 PM
RattyFord
Senior User
That was probably the most well documented build I've seen so far. Really awesome!

Also thanks for telling us about Flashback F100!

Old 10-03-2018, 09:21 PM
Inline66
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great work! The truck looks awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Old 10-04-2018, 07:33 PM
john jamieson
Fleet Mechanic
Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts
Having the history really makes it special. I wished mine looked as good.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:38 PM
Bulldawg1081
Senior User
Great story! I love seeing stories like this.. I'd stay in touch with the daughter and keep her up to date with the progress of her dad's old truck! I'm sure it would mean the world to her.

Old 12-11-2018, 12:07 AM
Alaskan66
Freshman User
Nice , nice job and the documentation is well laid out. I think your scrounging abilities are at least as good as your mechanical ones. That chrome front bumper isn't an everyday find for most folks and you absolutely scored on the drive train. I'm impressed.
Need to thank you for motivating me to learn more about the history of the 65CS I'm bringing back to life/
In less than ten minutes on line I learned that the original owner was 55 years old when he bought my truck and passed away in 1995. The second owner still lives at the address on an old registration I found when I bought the truck. She was thrilled to hear that it is back on the road and promised to look for some photos of when she and her late husband owned it. They traveled all over Alaska with a camper on back during the summers. She can't wait to see it.
Thanks for the push!
That is one sweet ride. Also, liked the call with the rims and caps. They don't have to be stock to look good..

Old 12-11-2018, 07:29 AM
dman2008
Posting Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
A little love goes a long way, looking great and very good upgrades. So cool that you got to connect with his daughter and let her know that a part of her dad's life lives on so to speak.

D