Sponsored by: Moser

Hagerty on the Dent Side Ford Trucks

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2023, 02:35 PM
flowney
Cargo Master
Received 257 Likes on 189 Posts
Hagerty on the Dent Side Ford Trucks

An interesting article on Hagerty's web site on our dent side trucks. The marketing / value data they have developed is especially interesting.

The following 3 users liked this post by flowney:
Old 08-30-2023, 03:30 PM
jflem
Mountain Pass
Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
F 250

Good article on our trucks. I am glad they are still going up! They cost a bit more now than they did when I bought my first one in 1973 for $4,300. F250 Camper Special 390 4 speed.

Last edited by jflem; 08-30-2023 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Add picture
Old 08-30-2023, 04:26 PM
beardedcap
Tuned
Received 120 Likes on 96 Posts
I would take their prices with a grain of salt as for example, a "good" condition truck is MUCH better condition than most of you would consider good. When I recently got my '76 insured they looked at hagerty and they put a "fair" condition '76 single cab 4x4 short bed at like $14k. Well most of our trucks wouldn't even rate "fair" and if you look at the actual market most aren't worth $14k.

Old 08-31-2023, 12:47 PM
Mark8man
Laughing Gas
Received 236 Likes on 160 Posts
Interesting article - Thank You for the link flowney!

Old 08-31-2023, 02:40 PM
73explorer
Tuned
Received 132 Likes on 87 Posts
Always nice to see our rigs getting some positive press coverage!

Old 08-31-2023, 03:58 PM
Behemoth
Laughing Gas
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Gotta love how they begrudgingly acknowledge the increasing value of our trucks. I would, however, caution anyone looking to go to them for their insurance. I went through the wringer with them several years back because of my truck. They obviously hadn't given our trucks any thought up to that point, as I had shocked the crap out of them with my desired amount of coverage. I was asked, "How much coverage would you like?", to which I responded, "I think right around $100k should do. They then asked, "Ok, what kind of vehicle is it?" I responded, "Well, it's a 1979 F250 Supercab 4x4......." They then interrupted, "Whoa whoa whoa.......that's a pickup truck!" I acknowledged that they were correct, and they interjected, "Well, that's simply not worth that much". We argued for a bit, and they told me to get an appraisal before they'd entertain ANY sort of policy.

Well, I did my homework, and found an appraisal service run by a gentleman named Ron Pister. He was listed as one of Hagerty's preferred appraisers, so I figured he'd be a good choice for my needs. I called him up, and set an appointment for him to come and see the truck. I have to say the appraisal process is a little unnerving, as when he arrived, we introduced ourselves, and then he really didn't have much else to say. He crawled all through my truck... under it, over it, through it, and kept taking notes. He'd ask the random question here or there, but said very little. When he was done, he said he'd send me the 'book' in a couple weeks. I waited, and in that time, the appraisal book arrived. I was a little off, as he valued my truck at $90k, but at least I was in the ballpark (that was also before I upgraded to fuel injection, added the custom toolbox, or a few other mods I've made since).

I went back to Hagerty, and said that I got an appraisal, and when they asked what it appraised at, I said, "$90k", and they immediately balked, and said, "There's no way that's right.......we won't cover it for that". I told them I used one of their preferred appraisers. When they asked who it was, I told them, and they immediately started using distancing language like, "Oh, well, we don't use him very much anymore". I'd bet Mr. Pister would have been very interested to hear them say that. Anyway, they came back at me with, "Well, we'll cover it for $40k", to which I responded, "I couldn't BUILD another one for that!" They couldn't have cared less, and said it would cost $2200 a year for $40k in coverage. Well, obviously that left me irritated, so I went back to the drawing board for insurance companies.

I came across another company called American Collector. They seemed well reviewed, and so I gave them a call. They asked what my vehicle was, and I told them. When they asked how much coverage I wanted, I said that I wanted the appraised amount of $90k. They asked if I had gotten an appraisal, to which I said I had through Ron Pister. They said, "Oh! Well he's one of Hagerty's preferred appraisers, so we'll cover for the full amount!" Slightly shocked and amused by their reaction, I said I was interested in the policy, but wanted to know the cost. They said they'd cover for the full appraised amount for $1100 a year, which is HALF the cost of what Hagerty offered for less than HALF the coverage. I've been with American Collector ever since, and haven't any complaints.

I'm glad that Hagerty is starting to wake up, but the way they conducted themselves in my case made my mind up to never consult with them again. So, as the saying goes, "caveat emptor", or buyer beware.

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-30-2023, 09:18 PM
brandon4
Fleet Mechanic
Received 283 Likes on 132 Posts
Again, I'm not saying I'm better than anyone her. I'm just illustrating what I think loyalty means. Loyalty to a brand and anyone who works on that brand. When I see that loyalty not be reciprocated, it bugs me.

Old 09-30-2023, 11:44 PM
cb_13
Fleet Mechanic
Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by brandon4
Again, I'm not saying I'm better than anyone her. I'm just illustrating what I think loyalty means. Loyalty to a brand and anyone who works on that brand. When I see that loyalty not be reciprocated, it bugs me.

Old 10-01-2023, 09:18 AM
OBSession05
Laughing Gas
Received 284 Likes on 190 Posts
Love to see the value of these go up but in the same token kind of sucks. Around this time last year I could find a dentside pretty easy for 500 but now I can't find the things under 3000. Do know a guy though I've been working at to get a 76 F350. I believe it's a dually truck and if it's factory I'd be pretty worked up. I've seen maybe 2 dually trucks in my entire life. Don't know if anyone watches Barrett Jackson and it's been awhile since I did but last time I did the things were going dirt cheap at least from my point of view. Had a beautiful 76 fully restored with the green paint and interior and it went for no more than 23000. My 76 has been in my family since the early 90's and I'm the 3rd owner!!! Been in Kansas almost it's entire life. I know mine would be worth a bit when restored. No cancer rust anywhere and only the bed has surface rust with a few other small places.

This is what it looked like back in the 90's. It's seen better days now and needs a bit of body work after being promoted to a farm truck for several years.