Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Help, what’s causing this noise?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2023, 09:19 PM
fdevies21
5th Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help, what’s causing this noise?

Can anyone tell me what this noise is from, what’s causing my 2002 7.3 F350 to sound like this? What should I be looking for? New, never heard her run like this. Started this morning, was fine last night. Filled her up with diesel, like I do every Sunday afternoon. Sorry for the short video, all I could get on here.

https://youtube.com/shorts/bGJDxIa8H_A?feature=share

RESOLVED “As suspected, the noise was due to a broken flywheel.”

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_3243.mov (16.70 MB, 35 views)

Last edited by fdevies21; 07-25-2023 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Link to video
Old 07-24-2023, 09:50 PM
John in OkieLand
Fleet Mechanic
Received 537 Likes on 411 Posts
that clip is way too short, I reviewd it 10 times with my eyes closed.

to me, along with the normal diesel noise, I think I hear a Rod knocking, or a Hydro lock?

Old 07-24-2023, 10:19 PM
fdevies21
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by John in OkieLand

to me, along with the normal diesel noise, I think I hear a Rod knocking, or a Hydro lock?

not sure, hoping it’s nothing major. Probably not a good idea to drive it like that? I’m trying to find a shop to check it out.

Old 07-24-2023, 10:25 PM
kenn_chan
More Turbo
Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by fdevies21
not sure, hoping it’s nothing major. Probably not a good idea to drive it like that? I’m trying to find a shop to check it out.
need to post a clip at least 3 to 4 times as long so one's brain can sort out the sounds... sorry nott long enough.

Old 07-24-2023, 10:52 PM
fdevies21
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by kenn_chan
need to post a clip at least 3 to 4 times as long so one's brain can sort out the sounds... sorry nott long enough.
Originally Posted by fdevies21
Originally Posted by John in OkieLand

uploaded a link to the video

Old 07-25-2023, 03:48 AM
udsuth78
Logistics Pro
Received 1,254 Likes on 948 Posts
Ok so you filled the tank, went home and parked it. Then go to start it the next morning and it sounds like that? If that's accurate then I'd be starting with fuel. What is in the tank, is it even diesel? Do you have any more info you can add here? Like general area the noise seems to come from. Is there a CEL or any codes recorded?

Old 07-25-2023, 08:18 AM
fdevies21
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by udsuth78
Ok so you filled the tank, went home and parked it. Then go to start it the next morning and it sounds like that? If that's accurate then I'd be starting with fuel. What is in the tank, is it even diesel? Do you have any more info you can add here? Like general area the noise seems to come from. Is there a CEL or any codes recorded?

Thats right, that’s exactly what I did after filling her up with “diesel”. Normal driving, I didn’t do anything absurd. Just noticed the noise difference the next morning when I was leaving for work.

The noise is definitely coming somewhere within the engine bay. I’ll try and track the noise down today when I get the chance to a general location.

No CEL, starts up no problem. The only code I have or know of from my edge CTS3 is “ P0472- exhaust pressure sensor”.

Shop rebuilt my transmission like two months ago and found these codes PO340 cam position sensor circuit fault.
P0381 glow plug indicator.
P0472 exhaust press sensor.

Out of the 3 only p0472 shows on my cts3 monitor. Try clearing it but doesn’t go away.
I already had replace them with OEM parts with in the year. Currently waiting for (another) new EBP sensor to get here prior to this issue.

Old 07-25-2023, 08:43 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Normally all I hear when guys post clips of their 'noisy' engine, all I hear is the purrrrrr of the 7.3 but you definitely have some hammering going on there. Could a loose injector hold down bolt cause that?

Old 07-25-2023, 08:48 AM
fdevies21
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
Normally all I hear when guys post clips of their 'noisy' engine, all I hear is the purrrrrr of the 7.3 but you definitely have some hammering going on there. Could a loose injector hold down bolt cause that?

From what I have read it could be a loose injector or a bad injector. Hoping I can get it looked at today. Just wanted to see if anyone has dealt with this problem and fixed it.

Old 07-25-2023, 09:43 AM
udsuth78
Logistics Pro
Received 1,254 Likes on 948 Posts
Is there any kind of vibration or felt hammering that started w/ the knock? I just can't see a rod letting go while the engine was off, so that brings us back to fuel. Just too much of a coincidence that you filled up and all the sudden the engine is knocking like hell. I understand that you filled from the diesel pump, butt that doesn't mean what came out of that pump was diesel.

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-25-2023, 10:04 AM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 884 Likes on 672 Posts
possible you got some gas instead of diesel?

check harmonic balancer for wiggle and remove insp plate form trans and see if TC can move with engine off

Old 07-25-2023, 10:08 AM
fdevies21
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by udsuth78
Is there any kind of vibration or felt hammering that started w/ the knock? I just can't see a rod letting go while the engine was off, so that brings us back to fuel. Just too much of a coincidence that you filled up and all the sudden the engine is knocking like hell. I understand that you filled from the diesel pump, butt that doesn't mean what came out of that pump was diesel.

No vibration or hammering, truck runs fine besides that annoying sound. Haven’t been driving it since the sound started, don’t want to break something. All fluids are good.I see what you mean for the fuel, but I always look at it while I pump. To me looked and smelled like diesel.

Old 07-25-2023, 11:36 AM
fdevies21
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by knottyrope
possible you got some gas instead of diesel?

check harmonic balancer for wiggle and remove insp plate form trans and see if TC can move with engine off
don’t see how, unless they filled up the the pumps from at the gas station wrong. Green= Diesel, what I only get for a “diesel truck”.

I can try doing that when I have time, but What would doing this to the TC tell me?

Old 07-25-2023, 02:21 PM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 884 Likes on 672 Posts
maybe broken flex plate or faulty HB

green is gas at some places

Old 07-25-2023, 02:35 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by knottyrope
maybe broken flex plate or faulty HB

green is gas at some places

Now that's an accident looking for places to happen.

Quick Reply: Help, what’s causing this noise?