Anyone towing with 7.3 gas motor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2023, 03:19 PM
smr camper
Mountain Pass
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Anyone towing with 7.3 gas motor?

Thoughts
Looks good on paper....DW would like to get a newer one, me I don't care. We tow the camper about 5k miles a year and do about that not towing.
Our trailer weighs in at 16k
I would definitely need the dually
I told her I would do some "research" on the gas truck.
Currently have a 2015 F350 dually with 6.7 diesel and 93k miles
Thanks

Old 06-07-2023, 07:24 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,543 Likes on 1,328 Posts
Unless you truly want the new truck smell why get the 7.3 when you have a towing beast in the 6.7?

If you decide to go 7.3 get the 4.30 with the dually, make it a towing gas beast.

The following 4 users liked this post by scraprat:
Old 06-08-2023, 05:47 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,475 Likes on 1,053 Posts
it would have to be a DRW with the 4.30 gears. It could do it but why as said.

The following 3 users liked this post by senix:
Old 06-08-2023, 07:32 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,524 Likes on 2,877 Posts
My biggest issue with a gasoline truck while towing a 5th wheel is refueling. With the diesel, we are able to use the commercial diesel lanes, not so much with a gas truck. When traveling and my wife is driving a "chase car" which is either our 2008 Subaru or 2016 Escape, she can have a difficult time fighting for a spot in the gasoline lanes. I couldn't imagine trying to get a 50'+ vehicle in and out of there.

There are some gasoline RV fill up spots at places like Flying J, but not many.

The following 3 users liked this post by Sous:
Old 06-08-2023, 08:10 AM
WE3ZS
Received 867 Likes on 601 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
My biggest issue with a gasoline truck while towing a 5th wheel is refueling. With the diesel, we are able to use the commercial diesel lanes, not so much with a gas truck. When traveling and my wife is driving a "chase car" which is either our 2008 Subaru or 2016 Escape, she can have a difficult time fighting for a spot in the gasoline lanes. I couldn't imagine trying to get a 50'+ vehicle in and out of there.

I’ve seen this concern mentioned many times here and on other forums, but fueling access issues haven’t really been my experience. My ‘05 Excursion and Jayco Eagle 338RETS TT are 61’ from bumper to bumper without the TT’s rear rack installed that adds another 4’+ to the combo. In the 10 years that we have traveled with this combo we have towed over 75K miles and the V-10 has needed many, many feedings. Most all fill ups have been at the typical just off the highway medium to large gas stations and have been painless, but sometimes I have had to be patient until a vehicle leaves a pump for me to swing in to where we can fit and have an easy exit. Twice, both times out in the sticks I did have to reverse out of a station, fortunately my Bride is a good spotter and made sure I was clear to move, other than those 2 times, which weren’t a big deal all of our gas stops have been no issues. Yes, truck stop diesel fuel lanes are much easier and the pumps are fast but getting into and out of normal gas stations even with a looong rig is fairly simple with a little patience.

The following 3 users liked this post by WE3ZS:
Old 06-08-2023, 08:31 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,524 Likes on 2,877 Posts
Tom, you have much more patience than I do or ever will have. We also travel long distances usually every couple of years from GA to ID or WA and back making a big circle around this great nation.

I commend you for your ability to fill up gasoline in your 61' setup, but there is no way I could or would even attempt that. I only added my opinion and thoughts on the gasoline truck smr camper is considering as I feel it is a part of the "research" he is seeking.

The following 2 users liked this post by Sous:
Old 06-08-2023, 09:16 AM
CheeseheadFord
Fleet Mechanic
Received 626 Likes on 417 Posts
I agree with WE3ZS, just don't wait until you have 20 miles until you'll be on fumes an you should be fine to find a gas station that fits your rig size. Heck most gas stations in my town would be fine to fill up on, some may be tight but esp if on an interstate you should see a suitable gas station fairly often. Of course there are always outliers to that, like some places out west or something but generally speaking if the only reason you'd stay away from a gas truck is because of filling up with fuel, then go gas.

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-08-2023, 10:55 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,965 Likes on 2,816 Posts
I helped my son move cross country a couple weeks ago. He was driving an E-350 DRW (E-450?) box truck pulling a car trailer. That rig is shorter than my F-350 SRW and bumper pull toy hauler. He got stuck at a fuel stop and had to call me (I was in the chase vehicle) to come help him out. It gave me even more appreciation for the truck lanes at the truck stop. Fast in, fast out, no BS. Plus I get to use my TSD Logistics (aka Open Roads) discount card at the truck lanes.

The following 2 users liked this post by HRTKD:
Old 06-08-2023, 11:03 AM
kshoop1958
More Turbo
Received 345 Likes on 204 Posts
All good advice so far from guys who know a lot, but I'll chime in with my two cents worth. I agree that you seem to have a really nice truck now, and if it ain't broke don't fix it. Second, I do tow with a 7.3 gasser but my trailer isn't like yours. In my case I had the luxury of buying the truck and trailer at the same time. A small "couples" coach was perfect for me and the DW, so my fiver only has a dry weight of 8,400#. Also, I have a short bed and the fiver is only 31' long, so I'm only 47' combined when hitched. So, in our case, an F-250, SRW 7.3 with 4.30 axles has done nicely for us. We couldn't (and didn't need to) justify the extra cost of the diesel engine.

I will also tell you this, I do have some anxiety about filling my puny 34 gallon tank in the gas lanes when I'm towing. I tend to be a bit OCD though, so I plan my trips before I hit the road. I choose the route, then pick fuel stops about every 200 miles. I'll try to find a Costco or Sam's Club first because their pumps aren't packed next to the store, then a Loves or Pilot, then brand names like Speedway if I need to. Using satellite view on Google Maps also helps ease the anxiety. I'm only in my third year of towing but so far I haven't had any problems and nobody has looked at me like like I'm an idiot. Well, my wife does but that's a different story and belongs in a different thread.

The following 2 users liked this post by kshoop1958:
Old 06-08-2023, 11:46 AM
acdii
Logistics Pro
Received 2,056 Likes on 1,395 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous

This is my hold back for getting a Gas truck when towing an RV. Heck I have had issues with pumps towing a 28' conventional with an F-150. With a DRW and 43' 5th wheel, some would be too challenging to care about. If I had to replace my F-450, a DRW 7.3 could do it and cost $25K less, but the above would be a completed hold back for me.

Old 06-08-2023, 11:52 AM
smr camper
Mountain Pass
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Good point about fueling the gas truck, I try to plan the trips so I don't have to get fuel when we travel and yes those truck lanes are nice and fast. We try to keep the trips around 200 to 250 miles when we are towing, when we have been someplace for several months I don't mind a 300 mile trip. We fulltime so we only have one vehicle which is the truck and we stay places for months on end, we are in Maine until mid October. Had a few DEF issues, heater and pcv hose fell out. Check engine light is on again so dealer appointment on the 22nd.

Old 06-08-2023, 12:29 PM
OBS460
Cargo Master
Received 1,534 Likes on 989 Posts
Funny that people say truck lanes are fast. They obviously haven't filled up at a truck stop where they leave and go inside or where every lane is full and you have to wait 15-20 minutes to fuel. I had a diesel and it was pretty common on the east coast to pull into a truck stop and there are no open truck lanes so I would pull my diesel and 5th wheel around to the auto pumps.

I've got about 30k miles towing my 65' long (unhitched) 13'6" tall setup Truck and 5th wheel and that is a lot of fill ups. I must just be lucky because I can count on 1 hand the number of issues I've had filling up. I've rolled into a few camping spots after hitting the 50 miles to E just to fill up unhitched but for the most part finding gas stations that can fit this big of a setup isnt as bad as all the non gas truck owners try to make it out to be. I dont wait very long ever to fuel up.

The following 3 users liked this post by OBS460:
Old 06-08-2023, 12:58 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,965 Likes on 2,816 Posts
Sure, there are times at the truck lanes that I have to wait. It's the exception, not the rule. I would say that 75% of the time I pull right up to a pump. Waiting for a pump is less stressful for me than maneuvering at the car pumps. That's just me. I'm going to take the easy, less stressful way, when I can. I meticulously plan my trips. I know the range of my truck and I find fuel stops with that in mind. If there isn't a truck stop, I use Google Maps Street View to determine if a station is easy to get into and out of. Out here in the West (CO, WY, MT, UT, ID), once I get off the interstate system it's almost all car pumps that I deal with. I compare fuel prices on Gas Buddy and balance that with what I see on Google Maps. I'll give up $.05/gal savings to use a station that is easier to get into and out of.

Back to the OP's question, I would keep the 2015 for a while longer. Solid engine and solid transmission. The 6r140 is one of the reasons I went with the truck I did. I would have no problem upgrading to the 7.3L gas engine in a newer truck. It would certainly tow my toy hauler (11K GVWR) well enough. I wasn't as confident in the 6.2L which is why I chose the 6.7L. When I go camping, I encounter at least one mountain pass. The combination I have now has no problem with any of the mountain passes that I've been over. 11,000' elevation is nothing to my turbo diesel.

Old 06-08-2023, 02:03 PM
MKrenn
Fleet Mechanic
Received 368 Likes on 252 Posts
Well, my 2 1/2 cents. This is my 2nd 7.3 gas. Love them both and NO regrets about trading my DRW 2016 6.7 diesel. My diesel was a good truck and I got some killer trade value out of it, but, like you, wanted change. Our 5th wheel weighs around the 16k range as well. We have been to Glacier, KC Speedway and a few other local places camping. filling w/gas, NEVER an issue. Like some on here mention, be patient and pick your stations ahead "if" you can (but I never do). The biggest issue like 1 guy mentioned is idiots not pulling ahead while they go pay. Plain stupidity and selfishness.
Gas mileage is impressive as well. I have a little over 5000 miles on my newest 7.3 and we averaged 7.5 mpg going to Kansas (1500 mile trip). Not bad when you figure my diesel got 9. I cannot justify buying a diesel with that little difference. Of course I don't drive 80 mph pulling our 5er either. Best part is when I get it serviced. Last service was under 60 bucks at Ford. My diesel runs between $300 & $500 depending on whether they change fuel filter & rotate tires.
AGAIN, I have no regrets going back to gas. Mine is not DRW either and it does fine. Hope this helps and good luck.

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-08-2023, 03:32 PM
acdii
Logistics Pro
Received 2,056 Likes on 1,395 Posts
Occasionally there is a wait, especially at Loves for some reason. It's the ignorant who fill up and go inside and buy stuff without pulling up first that annoy me. Occasionally get one who takes their sweet time coming back out and are not far enough ahead for you to get around them too.

But I would much rather wait and not worry about hitting something when trying to get out from the auto lanes because you turned too soon and swung the back of the 5th wheel into the pumps.

Quick Reply: Anyone towing with 7.3 gas motor?