Anyone towing with 7.3 gas motor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2023, 12:19 AM
Sparky04SD
Laughing Gas
Received 129 Likes on 88 Posts
I tow a 12k+ FW trailer in signature with a 99 F350 DRW also in signature. It has an aux fuel tank of 93 gallons and requires a fuel stop every 700 or so miles, about every 2 days of traveling. The V10 has done a good job for us, service including air filter is always less then $100 every 5k miles. I know V10 engines, I know nothing about the modern diesel engine. Knowing what I know now I wish I had bought this truck with the 7.3 diesel rather then the V10 as I think the 7.3 powerstroke was the last great diesel engine built. The new ones are too complicated and maintenance heavy for my taste.

Old 06-16-2023, 10:30 AM
acdii
Logistics Pro
Received 2,074 Likes on 1,410 Posts
Originally Posted by MKrenn
Best bet would be to order 1 if your serious about getting one..... That's what I did. And then waited....... At least you know you'll eventually get it...

EDIT: I would be deterred by negative comments from folks that have never owned one. They are only giving opinions on what they "think" about the 7.3's. I have owned both and know better. Good luck to whatever you get. As long as it's FMC!

Thats the one thing about the 7.3 for those of us who have/had the 6.7 Diesel. There are none to test drive and compare! I would love to test drive one, but not going to blindly order one and hope that I wont regret it. I could order a DRW Lariat Ultimate for $71K with the 7.3, but without being able to actually drive one to see if I like it, I will stick with my current truck.

Of course now Diesel is less than gas, so its cheaper to drive my F-450 than a gas DRW. Been paying between 30 and 40 cents less for diesel than the pump price of gas.

Old 06-16-2023, 12:51 PM
MKrenn
Fleet Mechanic
Received 374 Likes on 256 Posts
Originally Posted by acdii
Thats the one thing about the 7.3 for those of us who have/had the 6.7 Diesel. There are none to test drive and compare! I would love to test drive one, but not going to blindly order one and hope that I wont regret it. I could order a DRW Lariat Ultimate for $71K with the 7.3, but without being able to actually drive one to see if I like it, I will stick with my current truck.

Of course now Diesel is less than gas, so its cheaper to drive my F-450 than a gas DRW. Been paying between 30 and 40 cents less for diesel than the pump price of gas.
Go to a dealer and tell them you want to drive one when they get one in. Guessing you won't have to wait too long. they are around. You may have to travel to another town, but, they do have them. Maybe not w/4:30 gearing. First one I drove had 3:73's in it and it sold me....

Old 06-16-2023, 02:55 PM
acdii
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by MKrenn
Go to a dealer and tell them you want to drive one when they get one in. Guessing you won't have to wait too long. they are around. You may have to travel to another town, but, they do have them. Maybe not w/4:30 gearing. First one I drove had 3:73's in it and it sold me....
It would have to be a 7.3 DRW apples to apples and none have anything on order or enroute around me. 5 Ford dealers within 30 miles and none have inventory to speak of.

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-16-2023, 03:12 PM
MKrenn
Fleet Mechanic
Received 374 Likes on 256 Posts
The DRW would have little affect on a test drive unless your planning to hook up to your camper and pull it......

Old 06-17-2023, 09:49 AM
Scoobertdoo
Mountain Pass
Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Just got back from a 1250 mile trip pulling my 14K (usually 13K true weight) 5th wheel with my 7.3. Does just fine, I had no issues getting fuel. But with the long bed 4 door you get the larger 48 gallon tank so that really helps.

The following 8 users liked this post by Scoobertdoo:
Bruce M., GI56, HorizontalHunter, hughes022, kshoop1958, Ry Guy, smr camper, WE3ZS and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-17-2023, 10:39 PM
Ry Guy
Tuned
Received 241 Likes on 123 Posts
Very nice. Looks like an Avenue 32RLS. How do you like the Alliance?

Old 06-18-2023, 12:38 AM
Scoobertdoo
Mountain Pass
Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Ry Guy
Very nice. Looks like an Avenue 32RLS. How do you like the Alliance?
Yes it is, Love Alliance. Very few issues and the customer support is amazing. The 1250 mile trip I was referring to was going to the alliance national rally in Goshen.

Old 06-18-2023, 11:42 AM
GI56
Cross-Country
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

If you still want one, you can still order one and decide not to accept it. What I did...the dealership will sell it in a week for more than you invoiced it and why they really don't care if you accept it or not. Check with the dealer of course but that may be the way to go. I had a bad experience with the dealer (ordered the wrong specs and then didn't know it had arrived) and bought a used F350 Diesel instead. Happy with the Gen 3, 10-speed, powerstroke so far at 66K miles. Good luck!

Old 06-19-2023, 10:39 AM
acdii
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by GI56
If you still want one, you can still order one and decide not to accept it. What I did...the dealership will sell it in a week for more than you invoiced it and why they really don't care if you accept it or not. Check with the dealer of course but that may be the way to go. I had a bad experience with the dealer (ordered the wrong specs and then didn't know it had arrived) and bought a used F350 Diesel instead. Happy with the Gen 3, 10-speed, powerstroke so far at 66K miles. Good luck!
I talked with my dealer last year when I originally ordered a Platinum SRW and he said that I would not like it over the diesel, and the ones he had sat too long for his liking and a DRW would be harder to sell. It's a territory thing, where I live, not many gas buyers in a Medium Duty. He can sell Fleet XL gas all day long, but a high trim gas DRW would sit on the lot, so he would be reluctant to order one. He has a network of dealers he oversees and they are all in Rural areas where farming is the big item and they prefer Diesel over gas. The Platinum that I did order was sold the day it arrived.

Old 06-19-2023, 01:03 PM
OBS460
Cargo Master
Received 1,542 Likes on 995 Posts
I talked with my dealer last year when I originally ordered a Platinum SRW and he said that I would not like it over the diesel, and the ones he had sat too long for his liking and a DRW would be harder to sell. It's a territory thing, where I live, not many gas buyers in a Medium Duty. He can sell Fleet XL gas all day long, but a high trim gas DRW would sit on the lot, so he would be reluctant to order one. He has a network of dealers he oversees and they are all in Rural areas where farming is the big item and they prefer Diesel over gas. The Platinum that I did order was sold the day it arrived.
You let a dealer tell you that you wouldn't like a truck because he was worried if you walked away he would have more trouble selling it? I dont consult salesmen on my decisions until I'm ready to purchase. I dont care if the diesel did 0-60 in 2 seconds and could tow 40k lbs getting 10mpg they are a ticking time bomb. Doesn't matter what year 6.7 it is they haven't perfected it in over 10 years.

You let your dealers fear of sitting on a truck prevent you from buying a cheaper truck for you that would have been fully capable for you.

Old 06-20-2023, 06:05 AM
GI56
Cross-Country
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I think as long as you don't sign a contract after you order, they're stuck with the truck. They'll sell it even if they have to sell it to another dealership. My dealer buys from other states and sells them in Texas easily. So they have their ways...Clearly your decision to make, though. Good luck!

Old 06-20-2023, 12:06 PM
acdii
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by OBS460
You let a dealer tell you that you wouldn't like a truck because he was worried if you walked away he would have more trouble selling it? I dont consult salesmen on my decisions until I'm ready to purchase. I dont care if the diesel did 0-60 in 2 seconds and could tow 40k lbs getting 10mpg they are a ticking time bomb. Doesn't matter what year 6.7 it is they haven't perfected it in over 10 years.

You let your dealers fear of sitting on a truck prevent you from buying a cheaper truck for you that would have been fully capable for you.
You don't understand, the guy I work with owns the dealership and is a good friend of mine. Would you stick your friend with something that he has to pay for that he may have to sit on for a while? Since the 7.3 came out he has had less than a dozen orders for one in the high trim, Lariat and up trucks. They just don't sell in my area. He has no issue if I ordered a 6.7 truck, those he can sell day and night.

Old 06-20-2023, 12:57 PM
OBS460
Cargo Master
Received 1,542 Likes on 995 Posts
You don't understand, the guy I work with owns the dealership and is a good friend of mine. Would you stick your friend with something that he has to pay for that he may have to sit on for a while? Since the 7.3 came out he has had less than a dozen orders for one in the high trim, Lariat and up trucks. They just don't sell in my area. He has no issue if I ordered a 6.7 truck, those he can sell day and night.
Some friend.

Old 06-21-2023, 05:53 AM
IADiver
Tuned
Received 285 Likes on 167 Posts
I have never heard someone say "I wish I would have bought a gas"......

Quick Reply: Anyone towing with 7.3 gas motor?