2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

SJB (Smart Junction Box) modification - separate turn signal bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2023, 08:45 PM
Pele
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SJB (Smart Junction Box) modification - separate turn signal bulbs

I have a paid copy of ForScan. I've been exploring some options in the Smart Junction Box programming

One such option allows me to select rear tail light options.

My choices are:

0 - Bulb Outage OFF
3 - Stop and turn signals use same bulb
12 - Stop and turn signals use separate bulbs

I know hitting the first option is good for using LED turn signal bulbs and stops the fast flashing.

The second option is the default on the Expedition. It's got red turn signals and uses the same bulb as the brake light.

I wanna know more about that third option. Stop and Turn signals use SEPARATE bulbs.
When I select it, nothing happens. The tail lights operate as normal. (Except the unit thinks it has a bulb out.)
The left and right tails still come on when the turn signal is flashing and when I press the brake pedal.
I'd like the left and right tails to come on ONLY when their respective direction of turn signal is on.

Anyone have any experience with reprogramming the Smart Junction Box?
Any Ford programming engineers in here?

Further information, for those interested:

I don't like red turn signals as is the default on Ford trucks. Every other country requires a yellow rear turn signal.
I have been hit by other drivers in stop and go traffic when I've clearly signaled a lane change because they thought it was my brake lights and not a turn signal.
I want yellow turn signals on the back of my Expedition.

I've got a set of LED pods that I can cut into the rear bumper. These will serve as my new reverse lights.
I can now remove the clear reverse bulbs from the stock tail light housings. This frees up the clear portion of the stock tail housings.
Install a yellow 3156A bulb in the reverse light socket. Perfect for a yellow turn signal; flasher signal provided by on the existing wiring to the tail lights.
Red areas on the stock tail light remain for running/marker/parking lights and brake lights.
If I need a pure brake light signal, I can drop a wire down from the center high mounted stop lamp to provide brake light signal.

Old 02-18-2023, 04:14 AM
aldridgec
Logistics Pro
Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
You didn't specify the exact year of expedition we're discussing.

It's highly unlikely there's anybody that level from Ford in these forums. In particular you're lucky to get a response in the expedition forums they're not very active.

Some options that are listed in f o r s c a n are not necessarily discovered options, but possible options. The SJB may not actually have the capability to do so. I don't remember when it occurred, but expedition and navigator did get separate turn and stop at some point. I don't know if there was an overlap between the update with Navigator and expedition as sometimes that can explain differences in the SJB. I know I ran into a lot of that when I was working on a newer explorer as many options were actually for aviator and not available in explorer

Old 02-20-2023, 07:55 AM
Alexz265
Tuned
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
In general, I've found Expedition to have the least amount of function or benefit with forscan. Turning off TPMS or programming a key are the only things I've found helpful. It's better than a code reader for sure. But many of the modules listed just don't seem to the same level of possibility as F150 or others.

Old 02-25-2023, 02:36 PM
Pele
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by aldridgec
You didn't specify the exact year of expedition we're discussing.
It's a 2012 EL Limited.

I'll figure something out.

Thanks.

Old 04-14-2023, 06:21 AM
busytruck
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alexz265
In general, I've found Expedition to have the least amount of function or benefit with forscan. Turning off TPMS or programming a key are the only things I've found helpful. It's better than a code reader for sure. But many of the modules listed in trucks' overview https://epicvin.com/blog/a-12-ton-tr...d-fuel-economy just don't seem to the same level of possibility as F150 or others.
Agree. It's better compared with a code reader