Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC compressor doesn’t turn on

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2023, 04:55 PM
sswari
Tuned
Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Anonymous12
So yea i see no stickers and the low side has a 134a but the high has r12 service port. I messed with the clutch cycle switch and I tightened the thing by hand will that have any affect on the AC system? I can’t start the truck right now so I can’t test it.
So, was the switch hand tight? If it was that loose, you more than likely do not have any pressure in the system.

Old 03-24-2023, 04:59 PM
Anonymous12
Laughing Gas
Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
I’ll quickly press the low side with a rag over it. And yea it was hand tight
It took a bit of effort to tighten it but I could still move it without a tool

Old 03-24-2023, 05:08 PM
sswari
Tuned
I’ll quickly press the low side with a rag over it. And yea it was hand tight
It took a bit of effort to tighten it but I could still move it without a tool
Well, that is a pressure switch, so doubtfully have any pressure in the system.

You can get a fairly decent set of gauges at HF and a vacuum pump as well.
But you need to get the system completely cleaned out first.

Old 03-24-2023, 07:35 PM
DBGrif91
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
sandymane - okie dokie I just wasn’t sure.

To the OP:

Based on everything I’ve read up to now, the system hasn’t been functional for some time. It’s likely there’s more than one leak to track down, so if it were my truck, here’s what I would do.

[The methods you use are at your discretion - I’m lucky enough to have access to professional grade equipment.]

1) Recover whatever amount of refrigerant is in the system.

2) Remove the orifice tube for inspection. Any signs of “the Black Death” or metal particles (which will ONLY come from the compressor), replace everything I can. If the lines prove difficult to source, then I’d be very thoroughly cleaning them out - even using bore brushes if I could.

3) If the OT is relatively clean, I’d flush the system as thoroughly as possible. Where possible I leave the lines connected and flush them at the same time as the evap/condenser. (But don’t attempt to flush the compressor.)

4) Remove the compressor and drain as much oil from it as possible into a clean container. Inspect it for excessive or large metal particles - reuse or replace as needed.

5) Clean any connections that were opened and Replace any seals. Lubricate o-rings with AC oil of the same type used in the system.

6) Add the necessary amount of oil (and leak detection dye) and vacuum the system for at least 10 minutes prior to leak checking and minimum 30 minutes before charging.

7) Charge the system with 1/4 the system capacity. This puts enough pressure in the system that any leaks that won’t hold static pressure to be located. If any are found, repair and retest. If not, proceed with enough of a charge to engage the compressor (60-70 % of system capacity).

8) Let the AC run for 10-15 minutes and inspect for leaks. If none are found, run the AC for a few days and recheck.

Given the presence of the adapter port on only the low side I would ***ume it has a mix of R-12 and R134a (if there’s significant pressure) and do your best to have it recovered by a shop. However I’d recommend you tell them you want it recovered because you are doing other work and need to remove the components. If they question you about the missing adapter on the high side, shrug your shoulders, because obviously you don’t know the history of the truck well enough to explain it anyway.

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-24-2023, 07:48 PM
sswari
Tuned
Sounds like a pretty good plan.

Old 04-23-2023, 08:31 PM
Anonymous12
Laughing Gas
Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
I pressed on the low side. It made a hiss and it got weak didn’t last 5 seconds. What tools would I need to recover the system and flush it myself? If I can do that myself, I can either buy r12 or take it to a shop to fill it with 134a. And I know I’ve asked this before, but I got many answers. What is everything that needs replaced to convert it? I know it needs different oil, but I’m more worried about do I need a new compressor, dryer, condenser, etc?

Old 04-24-2023, 12:07 PM
DBGrif91
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
I pressed on the low side. It made a hiss and it got weak didn’t last 5 seconds. What tools would I need to recover the system and flush it myself? If I can do that myself, I can either buy r12 or take it to a shop to fill it with 134a. And I know I’ve asked this before, but I got many answers. What is everything that needs replaced to convert it? I know it needs different oil, but I’m more worried about do I need a new compressor, dryer, condenser, etc?
If it only hissed for a few seconds, the system is essentially empty - the hiss was likely due to residual refrigerant trapped in the accumulator.

To convert the primary things to do are replace the accumulator and flush the system.

Flushing chemicals are available at any auto parts store. You’ll need compressed air to flush properly.

IMO you’re better off with a “better safe than sorry” attitude and replacing the compressor anyway.

If you want to chance it, Pull and inspect the orifice tube to determine if the compressor needs replacement. If there’s excessive metal particles on it, I’d recommend replacing the compressor and condenser.

If there’s no indication of compressor issues, drain the oil from the compressor, add new oil and manually rotate the compressor a few times and drain it again to help clean the old oil out. Put at least 3 oz oil in the compressor before installation.

Add at least 1 oz oil to the evaporator and condenser, then put the rest in the accumulator.

A vacuum pump and gauge set is available at tool stores like Harbor Freight and Northern Tool.

After pulling the system into a complete vacuum, perform a leak check by letting it sit for at least 5 minutes. Any loss of vacuum greater than 2 in-Hg indicates a leak.

Typically 10 minutes will vacuum the system well enough for a leak test, but make sure to vacuum for at least 30 minutes total before charging.

Use R134a and charge to 75% of original R12 capacity.

The following 2 users liked this post by DBGrif91: