Sponsored by:

Ideas for making rear cargo area like a truck bed w/ bulkhead

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2022, 09:18 AM
CRB357
Mountain Pass
Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
Ideas for making rear cargo area like a truck bed w/ bulkhead

Has anyone built a box with raised sides from like the back of 2nd row on back? I want to use that space like I would use a truck bed. One of the main reasons I bought my Excursion was bc I was tired of dealing with expensive fiberglass shells/caps like ARE or Leer types that just leak. I live 20 miles from the Gulf and the humidity combined with moisture getting in the back causes mold and anything I store in there to rust. I never could get any type of bed cover or cap to completely seal. Sometimes I could get them sealed up for a while but eventually they would start leaking in the front corners or from the tailgate area. Also tired of the fine layer of dust on everything. I would go hunting or camping with a built bed platform or cot and end up sleeping in dust after 20 miles on dusty desert or mountaiin roads. So I figured an SUV with basically a truck bed in the back would be a better solution for me. I want to throw dead deer & hogs full of mud/blood, and wet dogs etc back there. LOL. I want to haul fuel cans and generators etc.

I hate towing trailers. I don't have have room to store a trailer at my house anyway and my HOA doesn't allow them to be stored where they are visible from the street. So trailers are not an option.

So I'm thinking I will need a bulkhead to seal off the back area to contain the smell etc. I'm thinking of just making a plywood box coated with a bedliner. Maybe add some 6" tall sliding cargo drawers under it. Run some type of E Trak cargo anchor mounts on top down each side for securing cargo. The box is simple enough. It's the bulkhead that will present the biggest challenge. Especially since I want to be able to remove it if possible. Guess I would need it to function just like the back of truck cab. Maybe from the floor up to top of 2nd row seats be a solid material and from there to the ceiliing something transparent like glass or plexiglass. Or maybe something solid from floor to the ceiling with a window in the middle. Or maybe just completly solid wall with a full time camera mounted on the rear near 3rd brake light to use as a rearview mirror. Sort of like in a motorhome where there is a screen that is on all the time showing the rearview. I liked that on my motorhome. Worked great.

Y'all have any ideas? Anyone done anything similiar with a bulkhead? Pics?

Old 10-30-2022, 07:06 AM
st8yd
Tuned
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
I have never tried to get a topper sealed that tight and it's been 30yrs since i had one, But I would have to think that would be way easier than trying to bulkhead and seal off the cabin, especially with wanting to carry gas and generators in it.

Old 10-30-2022, 01:30 PM
MasterX
Must Go Faster!!!!!
Received 336 Likes on 257 Posts
Even if you seal off the rear area somehow, you still wont be safe to haul fuel cans and generators with fuel in them, as the vapors build up, BOOM. You might instead want to invest in a rear bumper with a fuel can holder, they are out there. The generator can ride but best not have any fuel in it...

As for hauling mud and blood, Weathertech is your friend, they have a large form fit liner that fills up the whole rear area that is a waterproof liner.

Its not the answer your looking for but it works... The rear weathertech matt is plenty big for dogs, a deer, whatever.

Old 10-30-2022, 08:13 PM
John in OkieLand
Fleet Mechanic
Received 530 Likes on 406 Posts
never carry volatile fuels or other products inside the cabin area.

Like Carbon Monoxide, you can go to sleep and off the road.

I just saw a video where an Excursion has a built up area for the kids to have a bed/play area.
under that were two Drawers on Slideout rails.

Left side was kitchen tools, right side was a camper stove, propane bottle sets on the ground, or use a small bottle attached after stove set up.

Buy, or build, a Rack with Expanded Metal for the bottom of it. ( leaky liquids fall through )

Weld a few hoops or washers around the circumference so Bungee cords can hold down stuff.

did that on my Motorcycle for years, works like a charm.

Old 10-31-2022, 11:01 AM
jasonodsky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts
If you go the bulkhead route, keep in mind the rear AC/heater vents run through the headliner. You will likely need to completely close off those vents and make sure the rear HVAC is turned off.

For the bulkhead build, I'd recommend making it modular. How removeable do you really want it to be? Do you want it to look factory original when it's out?

If you plan to customize it to your use and not look back/plan to undo it, then you could really button it up pretty tight. Weld in mounting brackets in strategic places and permanently attach the odd shaped parts that fit up tight to the body. Make the middle out of a couple pieces so you can unbolt it and remove the panels easily. One big heavy piece would be unpleasant to move but smaller panels that bolt together would come out easier. I'd recommend against plywood. Its porous, even if you "seal" it, it would likely still wick liquid from the edges and would retain unpleasant smells much easier than steel.

Also consider a good quality hitch carrier for things like hogs, deer and fuel cans. Much easier to hose off and air out than a sealed rear compartment on an Ex.

Just my wandering thoughts.
Jasonodsky

Old 10-31-2022, 07:58 PM
CRB357
Mountain Pass
Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
All good points. I hauled all that stuff before with the ARE shell. I just cracked the windows a little bit. With my Excursion I have the rear quarter windows that you can crack. I don’t plan to leave any of that stuff back there all the time. Just hauling to the camp and back. The deer/hog would just be from the field back to camp. I would really like to build this thing out, but I guess a hitch hauler would probably serve the purpose. An aluminum one would probably be fine.

Never know, I may do it anyway.

Old 11-01-2022, 08:06 AM
ASFC27FTFBQ
Laughing Gas
Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
I’m working through a similar project, where I want to strap stuff down. Right now, if I were to slam on my brakes, all of my stuff in the back 5 feet, would end up through my head and the windshield.
I’ve been eyeballing some L-Track from uscargocontrol.com. I’m thinking about cutting one of the 4’ pieces into a 3’ and 1’ piece. The 1’ section would go aft of the spare tire. This allows the L-Track to line up as close to the edges of the interior as possible.
Since I’ve removed the carpet, I’m also thinking of cutting an access hole for a possible future fuel pump replacement. This would help immensely while on the road.

Old 11-01-2022, 11:51 AM
John in OkieLand
Fleet Mechanic
Received 530 Likes on 406 Posts
Since I’ve removed the carpet, I’m also thinking of cutting an access hole for a possible future fuel pump replacement. This would help immensely while on the road.

you and me both

need to go see how much one of those boat hatch doors costs.
the only thing is, this guy put it in backwards, I don't want to have to crawl up into the cabin to work on the pump. He also put it too far forward, it should be centered over the pump itself, for better access to the fuel lines. Anyone has the exact measurement for where the pump is, relative to the back door trim?

Old 11-01-2022, 07:23 PM
Theboneskes
Laughing Gas
Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts
Ive hauled my 2 generators in back of my Excursion when we boondock for the weekend, which isnt ofter but the vents seal off completely so no vapors come into the compartment. Ill haul 2 empty gas cans in the back, and then when i get to where im going, drop the trailer and go fill up the cans. My generators run for about 6.5 hours on 1.1 gallons of fuel, so 2 five gallon cans last long enough! I store all the other stuff that could be flamable in the csmper so we dont have issues.

Old 11-02-2022, 08:58 AM
ASFC27FTFBQ
Laughing Gas
Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts

That looks pretty cool. I was going to just cut a piece of aluminum and stick it on with silicone, but your way is much better.