2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

National backorder- Wiper Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2022, 04:56 PM
Ford Fx4
Laughing Gas
Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts
National backorder- Wiper Transmission

2019 with 60k, with rain sensing wiper.

Wipers have been getting slow over last few months, I have not used them much as it never rains here any more. I went to use them last week, they made it half way and stopped in middle of windshield!!!

My dealer told me to stop in the next morning and there diesel tech will look at it.

Was told bad linkage assembly and damaged wiper transmission from being over worked from faulty linkage.

Linkage is 30+ days out
Wiper transmission is on national backorder with no ETA.

Linkage part # has been superseded 7 times, so I'd say they know its not working as designed.

21's + have a recall for this?

Call around to auto parts stores and no one can get either.

Is it going to come down to finding a wrecked truck for a take off to fix my platinum?!?!?

Old 10-08-2022, 05:35 PM
chadstickpoindexter
Logistics Pro
Received 2,434 Likes on 1,468 Posts
So... maybe somewhat related... I have a 22 XLT, so just normal windshield wipers... no auto sensing, etc... Anyway, the only recall I have had on my truck is the windshield wiper arm replacement recall. A few months ago I went to a Ford dealership near Des Moines, Iowa to see about getting the recall completed. I explained why I was there to the first guy that walked up to me and he promptly walked me to the parts department. He told me that since it was a recall, the items would need to be ordered for my VIN #. As soon as we walked up to the parts department and the guy I spoke to explained to the parts department guy why I was there he informed me that it wasn't going to happen. The parts department guy said earlier that same week Ford had canceled 6 orders that they had in for other customers for the same recall. He went on farther to say that they were told by "Ford" that the recall was going to include more than just the wiper arms and that it would likely be the motor as well... So I thanked them and went on my way.

A few months later I was back home and decided to go and see what I could get done about it here. The service department guy told me that they had the parts in stock and made me an appointment for the next day. I didn't ask him if the recall now included more than just the arms and just figured I would wait and see what they replaced the next day.... When I came back the next day I handed the service department guy my keys and he told me it wouldn't take long... so I went out to the lot and started looking at a few trucks on the lot. About 45 minutes later the service guy brought my keys back and said I was ready. I asked him what they did and he said they inspected them and determined that my original wipers were good and didn't need replacement...

At this point I was a bit confused... it was my understanding that the wipers would be replaced, period. Not inspected... but replaced. But, OTOH, I had read that this had been an issue for a long while, and I didn't really read of anyone actually having issues... so considering this I wasn't all that concerned and was actually happy that they didn't have to do anything to my truck. So, I took my keys and went on...

So far, all is good, I don't expect it to change.

But this still makes me wonder... the recall stated that they would be replaced. Why wouldn't they replace them, unless they are trying to save parts? And that's assuming that they actually had them... It makes me wonder how other recalls may go though...

Old 10-08-2022, 07:37 PM
2008f250xlt
Mountain Pass
Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts
I have an appointment October 10 for my 21 f250 for the wipper recall. They said parts were in. We will see what they do.

Old 10-09-2022, 01:16 PM
Ford Fx4
Laughing Gas
Angry

Originally Posted by chadstickpoindexter
So... maybe somewhat related... I have a 22 XLT, so just normal windshield wipers... no auto sensing, etc... Anyway, the only recall I have had on my truck is the windshield wiper arm replacement recall. A few months ago I went to a Ford dealership near Des Moines, Iowa to see about getting the recall completed. I explained why I was there to the first guy that walked up to me and he promptly walked me to the parts department. He told me that since it was a recall, the items would need to be ordered for my VIN #. As soon as we walked up to the parts department and the guy I spoke to explained to the parts department guy why I was there he informed me that it wasn't going to happen. The parts department guy said earlier that same week Ford had canceled 6 orders that they had in for other customers for the same recall. He went on farther to say that they were told by "Ford" that the recall was going to include more than just the wiper arms and that it would likely be the motor as well... So I thanked them and went on my way.

A few months later I was back home and decided to go and see what I could get done about it here. The service department guy told me that they had the parts in stock and made me an appointment for the next day. I didn't ask him if the recall now included more than just the arms and just figured I would wait and see what they replaced the next day.... When I came back the next day I handed the service department guy my keys and he told me it wouldn't take long... so I went out to the lot and started looking at a few trucks on the lot. About 45 minutes later the service guy brought my keys back and said I was ready. I asked him what they did and he said they inspected them and determined that my original wipers were good and didn't need replacement...

At this point I was a bit confused... it was my understanding that the wipers would be replaced, period. Not inspected... but replaced. But, OTOH, I had read that this had been an issue for a long while, and I didn't really read of anyone actually having issues... so considering this I wasn't all that concerned and was actually happy that they didn't have to do anything to my truck. So, I took my keys and went on...

So far, all is good, I don't expect it to change.

But this still makes me wonder... the recall stated that they would be replaced. Why wouldn't they replace them, unless they are trying to save parts? And that's assuming that they actually had them... It makes me wonder how other recalls may go though...
Interesting....I do feel like they are saving parts for recalls over normal warranty work. I really cant believe I have no wipers on my truck, this is not just a inconvenience, it's a huge safety concern. We had some light drizzle the other morning and I had to take a wiper blade while holding it in my hand, roll the drivers side window down, reach outside and wipe my windshield with it. WTF.

Old 10-09-2022, 02:03 PM
chadstickpoindexter
Logistics Pro
Received 2,434 Likes on 1,468 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford Fx4
Interesting....I do feel like they are saving parts for recalls over normal warranty work. I really cant believe I have no wipers on my truck, this is not just a inconvenience, it's a huge safety concern. We had some light drizzle the other morning and I had to take a wiper blade while holding it in my hand, roll the drivers side window down, reach outside and wipe my windshield with it. WTF.
Yeah... that does suck! Hopefully they will come up with a part for you sooner rather than later. Until then though, you may be able to find one out of a wrecked truck... maybe it would at least get you by until they get some in. Also, Rain-X the crap out of the windshield! Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-12-2022, 08:19 PM
Ford Fx4
Laughing Gas
Just an update:

I found a new OEM motor on eBay for $140.00, it showed up today. My dealer also called today and the linkage will be there tomorrow. Things are looking up. I go in early next week to have them install both items. Fingers crossed.