2012 F-150 Driver Door Ajar-Dead Horse

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2022, 10:14 AM
Paulieb31
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 F-150 Driver Door Ajar-Dead Horse

Good morning

I know this has been beaten to the ground as I have read countless threads about it but I still can not figure this out. My truck thinks the driver door is open most of the time, sometimes while driving the message will go away but will be back by the next engine start. While the truck is off and I have the doors locked the alarm will go off sometimes. If the truck is off and I do not have the doors locked then the running lights will go on and off until the battery dies. I have tried spraying the latch and opening/closing the door many times to no avail. I replaced the door actuator and wire harness. Still have the issue. I found a good video this morning about finding the ground which I did but ground looks good and has no corrosion or busted wires. I took the harness boot off between the door and the body and found no busted wires in there either. Is there anything else I can check before having to send the truck in? Can something else besides the door ajar electrical be causing this issue? I can not keep jumping my truck every morning and purchasing a new battery once a year. Any new information would be greatly appreciated! Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you
Paul

Old 08-19-2022, 03:09 PM
RLXXI
Mr. Electric

Received 1,330 Likes on 1,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Paulieb31
Good morning

I know this has been beaten to the ground as I have read countless threads about it but I still can not figure this out. My truck thinks the driver door is open most of the time, sometimes while driving the message will go away but will be back by the next engine start. While the truck is off and I have the doors locked the alarm will go off sometimes. If the truck is off and I do not have the doors locked then the running lights will go on and off until the battery dies. I have tried spraying the latch and opening/closing the door many times to no avail. I replaced the door actuator and wire harness. Still have the issue. I found a good video this morning about finding the ground which I did but ground looks good and has no corrosion or busted wires. I took the harness boot off between the door and the body and found no busted wires in there either. Is there anything else I can check before having to send the truck in? Can something else besides the door ajar electrical be causing this issue? I can not keep jumping my truck every morning and purchasing a new battery once a year. Any new information would be greatly appreciated! Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you
Paul
The door switch is inside the latch itself, I'm not sure it can be changed independently like older models did with a ¼ turn then pull. Worth a try to see if it will. It would be a lot cheaper anyway and easier to change than the entire latch. Just follow the wires to the latch inside the door and you'll find the switch.

Old 08-19-2022, 04:14 PM
Paulieb31
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the reply. When I took the originally door lock actuator assembly out I tried to take the switch out just to see and doesn't seem like it is something possible without breaking something else. What I was trying to find out is if there are other grounds or wires I can check besides the door harness that may be causing the issue. Surely the harness eventually makes its way to the fuse panel or another module that maybe I can see if something is busted there. I am just having a hard time finding that information.

thank you

Old 08-19-2022, 04:33 PM
RLXXI
Mr. Electric

Received 1,330 Likes on 1,053 Posts
Those door ajar switches have been a weak point for decades with Ford anything. Check www.fordpartsgiant.com for availability of either the switch or the latch, it'll say form factor. They sell genuine Ford and supported other brands.

Old 08-20-2022, 06:44 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 876 Likes on 728 Posts
If all the electrical stuff in the driver's doors works correctly, there's nothing wrong with the ground circuit.

The door ajar switch, when the latch is closed, closes its contacts connecting the signal line to ground. The signal line makes its way eventually to the Body Control Module (BCM) there it is fed into the electronics to determine the state of the switch. Since an open door latch equals an open (ungrounded) signal input, any open in the circuit will cause the electronics to detect the door is open. An intermittent switch, wire, or connection can also cause this to be detected.