Sponsored by:

Coating the roof with bed-liner

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2022, 12:58 AM
Rainmaker1
Laughing Gas
Received 109 Likes on 63 Posts
Coating the roof with bed-liner

This is something I’ve been considering for some time now. My first thought was going black.
There are two reasons I’m considering this; as a sound and thermal insulator, and to seal that channel so I don’t have to worry about rust.
The material goes on ~1/8” and it is somewhat flexible so it shouldn’t crack. The only negative I could think of is black might not be the best choice. Then I learned it could be colored, even color matched. My thought is, why hide it? Make it a color that would compliment, like a beige something like the cladding.
So here’s what I did; I took a few pictures and drew the liner to see what it might look like.

I welcome opinions, concerns, and compliments. 🤣

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-06-2022, 07:56 AM
vanavyman
Cross-Country
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
I did this to mine and love it. I did not want to have to climb up there and wax and clean all the time. I hated the rack up there. Had the rack removed sanded down and filled then primed and had Bullet Liner applied up there leaving about 4-6" around the 3 sides. Leaves enough room to mount an aftermarket roof rack if I want on in the future. Here are a couple pictures. Paid approx $1400. to get mine done.

Old 06-06-2022, 08:35 AM
ASFC27FTFBQ
Laughing Gas
Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
That is an awesome idea. It looks really clean and has a purpose, as well.

If/when I do mine, I would go with a light color, since we live down south. I want to reflect as much heat as possible. If I lived in Alaska, I’d go with black. Just my 2 cents.

Old 06-06-2022, 09:23 AM
96firephoenix
Laughing Gas
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
If you have a bodyshop that's willing to work with you, there are tintable bedliners that you can get color matched.

https://store.sprayliningandcoatings...bed-liner-kit/

Old 06-06-2022, 10:48 AM
Rainmaker1
Laughing Gas
Received 109 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by vanavyman
I did this to mine and love it. I did not want to have to climb up there and wax and clean all the time. I hated the rack up there. Had the rack removed sanded down and filled then primed and had Bullet Liner applied up there leaving about 4-6" around the 3 sides. Leaves enough room to mount an aftermarket roof rack if I want on in the future. Here are a couple pictures. Paid approx $1400. to get mine done.

I have the same concern as ASFC27FTFBQ. Did you notice any difference in heat going black, and did it make a noticeable difference in making the interior any quieter? It looks to be about 1/8" to 1/4" thick so it should have some insulating properties against heat and sound. Hence the reason I am considering a beige color to match the cladding or interior. Also, I think against the Estate Green, the beige is a good match.

I'm not very good at color schemes so aesthetic criticisms are welcome.

Old 06-06-2022, 11:03 AM
vanavyman
Cross-Country
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Does seem a little quieter. Since my paint job was really nice I did not want to change the color of the top. Just wanted a maintenance free top. Mine has a Zeibart sprayed undercarriage in 2021 and zero rust, it makes a nice match. Mine has 85,000 miles currently and I live in Eastern Virginia, these two should make this truck last for a long time. I was really concerned about future rust around the low roof rack, which is why I had it taken off. Lots of writeups on how they would rust. I found the rack to be difficult to work with. Have done a little research on aftermarket racks and there are a few nice ones and some writeups on making one from scratch. If I end up keeping the truck, I'm going to go this route. Wife is trying to get me to get a Monaco Dynasty Class A RV instead of buying a 30" Airstream which was one of the reason we bought the Excursion.

Old 06-06-2022, 11:12 AM
kabcpapc
More Turbo
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Rainmaker1
This is something I’ve been considering for some time now. My first thought was going black.
There are two reasons I’m considering this; as a sound and thermal insulator, and to seal that channel so I don’t have to worry about rust.
The material goes on ~1/8” and it is somewhat flexible so it shouldn’t crack. The only negative I could think of is black might not be the best choice. Then I learned it could be colored, even color matched. My thought is, why hide it? Make it a color that would compliment, like a beige something like the cladding.
So here’s what I did; I took a few pictures and drew the liner to see what it might look like.

I welcome opinions, concerns, and compliments. 🤣

What brand of bedliner did you get? When I last checked with Line X I was told that they don't color match anymore.

Oops, my bad. I misread your post thinking it was already done.

Old 06-06-2022, 11:13 AM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 199 Likes on 108 Posts
I used Raptor liner in my wheel well when I did the dog leg. Easy to spray but messy, black but tintable options as well. You can stack it up thick like seen here or you can just apply a couple of good wet coats and call it good. I was really impressed with how it came out and will be using it again. Preparation is everything. Seems super durable. Been down gravel roads and no chips. I actually have some for my front bumper but have several other things to do before that.

Old 06-06-2022, 12:17 PM
R&T Babich
Fleet Mechanic
Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Rainmaker1
.... Then I learned it could be colored, even color matched. ....
I had this done 3 years ago on the roof of our TH, along with the AC cover and fenders, and love it.
Also, had the swim step of our boat done 15 years ago.
There is a shop near us that does truck beds, but a lot of their business is trailer/RV roofs.
I was told there is a slightly different formulation for trailers, probably because it's being sprayed on wood.
The base material is clear and it's colored with paint mixed in.

Old 06-09-2022, 12:00 PM
EXSwap
Fleet Mechanic
Received 146 Likes on 122 Posts
I had forgotten about this. Seems to be a good idea for me given the scratches and rust forming on my roof.