1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

What brand of replacement gauge clusters is best?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2022, 11:09 PM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
What brand of replacement gauge clusters is best?

I just sold off one of my motorcycles and I don't want the money to slip away into groceries and utility bills. Anybody using one from Dakota Digital, Intellitronix, NVU or...? I want a retro white faced analog style speedo and tach, with turn signal indicators and such. I haven't ever spent that kind of money on one so I would like to know who has one and how it is working. Maybe something like this:

Old 05-09-2022, 12:51 PM
smoky_diesel
Cargo Master
Received 213 Likes on 163 Posts
I have a Dakota setup. I found the quality of the dash, wiring, sensors and connectors to be above my expectations.

Old 05-09-2022, 03:04 PM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Thanks for providing your input

Old 05-09-2022, 07:41 PM
Greaser007
Laughing Gas
Received 224 Likes on 189 Posts
Good to know i'm not alone when I sell something and the money slips away for groceries and bills.

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-10-2022, 01:50 AM
1TonBasecamp
Lead Driver
Received 740 Likes on 593 Posts
I'm a bit biased because we only sell Dakota Digital and Classic Instruments. And don't stock any of the '72 and older stuff yet either.
But I try to pay attention to what others have to say on forums like this and so far I have not heard any real complaints from users of most of the more modern electronic gauge packages. Pretty much only the parts store cheap stuff gets bad reviews now and then. Not so much for the high-end electronic wizard gauge packages. Mostly good reviews from what I've seen.
For the most part, since the quality is so good across the board, the big issue becomes which ones do you like the look of the best. And if any different, which features make the most sense for your install.
Oh, and how much it all costs! Because none of them are what we might think of as cheap.

From the experiences that we have had though, the Dakota Digital products have been excellent. And their customer service outstanding as well. We also sell their rear LED taillight modules with a lifetime warranty and we've never had them even question sending out replacements. Of course, they have not been asked to do that very many times over the years either, so that might be part of why they don't whine about it! I think I can remember only four or five returns in the last ten years or so. And in more recent years, never a return that I know of on one of the newer instrument panels.
We had an issue with a VSS (vehicle speed sensor) not clipping in easily to the stock location on the transfer case of a 4wd truck (a machined groove was in an awkward spot for a clip if I remember) and they sent a new one out even though the customer said he was able to make the first one work with just a little tweak and was only letting them know about it.

So from a sales standpoint at least, no complaints about Dakota Digital at all. I personally don't have much experience with Classic Instruments, but from what others say I don't see any trouble there either.
I've installed a few DD products in other vehicles, and though fiddly with very small wires, it's also quite straightforward. The gauge cluster itself is very shallow and easy to fit for most vehicles. I've installed (mostly Broncos) a few and they go in very easily. The wiring is usually either one or two plugs between the cluster and control module, then all the fiddly small wires are from the individual sensors.

Interested to hear what other experiences have been with the other brands out there. But I know DD is generally very, very good.

Paul

Old 05-10-2022, 04:33 PM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Thanks, I do like the fact that Dakota Digital offers a lifetime warranty and your experience with them is great to hear. Instead of going with the round white faced gauges in the picture I will consider their stock looking one.

It would match my current setup that doesn't work. I have the usual 3 pack of gauges, tach, and gps for speed.

Old 05-10-2022, 11:54 PM
IML726
Cross-Country
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
I bought these guages for my truck
https://f100performance.com/collecti...-gauge-cluster

They are made by Dakota digital but have a different design.

Truck is still being built so I don't have any pictures of it installed.

Old 05-11-2022, 01:30 PM
1TonBasecamp
Lead Driver
Received 740 Likes on 593 Posts
Those are pretty sweet too.
Even though I like the fact that the 60 mile an hour location is straight up, I tend to prefer speedometers with lower top speeds to get a higher resolution.
Seems these poor old eyes don’t pick out small increments very well anymore!

Nothing wrong with a 140 mile an hour sweep in a much larger gauge, but in the smaller circles that fit in our dashes I think something along the lines of 110 would be fine for me.
Wouldn’t satisfy the performance oriented in us I’m sure, but would work for me.

Old 05-11-2022, 06:02 PM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
That is a nice looking gauge cluster but it won't work with the stock '67 bezel that goes though the center of the cluster.

Old 05-11-2022, 11:53 PM
IML726
Cross-Country
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbo Dog
That is a nice looking gauge cluster but it won't work with the stock '67 bezel that goes though the center of the cluster.
Yes, the stock bezel has to be cut to use the ATP designed guage cluster. I'm modifying the bezel and dash anyway so I chose this cluster.

Although, even for a stock bezel, it's not much of a modification to cut the center trim piece.