2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Thoughts on adding reverse lights and where is reverse wire?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2022, 03:16 PM
drivefaster35
Cross-Country
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Thoughts on adding reverse lights and where is reverse wire?

Ok I have a new 2022 Ford F350 Lariat. I like he truck and I already added a magnum headache rack with the brake and revers lights already in them. However, now when backing in the garage or when I am plowing snow in the night the headache rack lights kind of fight the reverse lights. You can't have bright enough reverse lights when plowing snow. What I would like to do is add a couple bright led lights and would like to maybe tie them into the reverse lights already there to keep it as stock as possible. 1st question is can the line take the extra pull of power of additional lights and 2nd where could I find this line at to splice into? I can but would rather not use the upfitter switch I would like it if they would automatically turn on when in reverse. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-21-2022, 09:53 PM
Texasguy2017
Cross-Country
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
For the ones that came in my ranch hand replacement back bumper I just tied into the reverse light wire on the 7 pin trailer plug. I can't remember exactly what color it is but the plug has a label for each wire. I think some have used the actual stock reverse wiring to tie into also. The trailer plug is easy though.

Old 02-21-2022, 10:05 PM
Ltngdrvr
Lead Driver
Received 3,394 Likes on 1,796 Posts
I have mine on the #1 upfitter, that way I can have them on all the time if I want, not just in reverse.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ltngdrvr:
Old 02-21-2022, 10:11 PM
TX Chris
Tuned
Received 193 Likes on 93 Posts
I may give these a try. They offer an extended harness to route to an upfitter switch and I believe you can get a stand alone switch from them so you don't have to give up an upfitter. My understanding with the extended harness is that you have the ability to control whether their lights come on when the truck is in reverse or not and also to turn them on manually but I need to confirm that.

F150 LED Reverse Light Kit

Old 02-22-2022, 07:24 AM
RidgwaySD
Cargo Master
Received 2,339 Likes on 1,180 Posts
I ran LED bulbs in the reverse lights of my '12 plow truck. I wasn't impressed with that solution. The more blue light doesn't work well in the snow for one. Then the bulbs do not generate enough heat to remain clear anyway. Last plow even the stock incandescents didn't keep the reverse light section clear. With everybody going LED, there are fewer and fewer options that actually work well for snow plowing. I haven't found a solution yet but they do need to go behind the tailgate to work well, the ones in the rack aren't helping as you found out.

The following users liked this post:
Old 02-22-2022, 10:36 AM
drivefaster35
Cross-Country
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by TX Chris
I may give these a try. They offer an extended harness to route to an upfitter switch and I believe you can get a stand alone switch from them so you don't have to give up an upfitter. My understanding with the extended harness is that you have the ability to control whether their lights come on when the truck is in reverse or not and also to turn them on manually but I need to confirm that.

F150 LED Reverse Light Kit

Oooooo I like the looks of this set up!

Old 02-22-2022, 11:11 AM
SomethingRandom
Tuned
Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Baja Designs has a kit that includes two S2s, the mounting hardware, and wiring. I went with the upfitter kit and really happy with it. I prefer being able to manually turn them on and off. It was a little cheaper around black friday, I think I paid around $270 shipped.

Old 02-22-2022, 12:10 PM
Mikelikesit
Fleet Mechanic
Received 148 Likes on 73 Posts
I have been wanting to do the same.
I would definitely run them off an upfitter switch so I could use them at will.
Are these kits drill free? I never want to drill into perfectly coated or chromed steel for fear of the soon to follow rust.

Old 02-22-2022, 12:19 PM
SomethingRandom
Tuned
Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikelikesit
I have been wanting to do the same.
I would definitely run them off an upfitter switch so I could use them at will.
Are these kits drill free? I never want to drill into perfectly coated or chromed steel for fear of the soon to follow rust.
https://www.apollo-optics.com/collec...d-lighting-kit

No drilling involved. Most annoying part is just cleaning up and running the wiring from the back up to the upfitter relays. I have a CCLB so it's not a short span...

Old 02-22-2022, 12:27 PM
TX Chris
Tuned
Originally Posted by SomethingRandom
Baja Designs has a kit that includes two S2s, the mounting hardware, and wiring. I went with the upfitter kit and really happy with it. I prefer being able to manually turn them on and off. It was a little cheaper around black friday, I think I paid around $270 shipped.
Do the lights automatically turn on in reverse or is it always manual on/off?

Old 02-22-2022, 01:08 PM
4B11TX
Mountain Pass
Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts
Do the lights automatically turn on in reverse or is it always manual on/off?
They are manual on/off unless you connect them to your reverse lights.

Old 02-22-2022, 01:13 PM
TX Chris
Tuned
Originally Posted by drivefaster35
Oooooo I like the looks of this set up!
I contacted F150LED's customer service and they confirmed that the switching is one-or-the-other - wired into the reverse light circuit for auto on/off with reverse lights or manually controlled via upfitter or other switch.

Originally Posted by 4B11TX
They are manual on/off unless you connect them to your reverse lights.
That's what I figured, but it never hurts to ask. I'm sure there's some electrical genius out there that could figure out how to wire these to do both but I'm not it.

Old 02-22-2022, 01:43 PM
4B11TX
Mountain Pass
Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts
I contacted F150LED's customer service and they confirmed that the switching is one-or-the-other - wired into the reverse light circuit for auto on/off with reverse lights or manually controlled via upfitter or other switch.

That's what I figured, but it never hurts to ask. I'm sure there's some electrical genius out there that could figure out how to wire these to do both but I'm not it.
It is easy to make them do both with a single relay. I attached the schematic from another thread.

Attached Images
The following 2 users liked this post by 4B11TX:
Old 02-22-2022, 01:47 PM
TX Chris
Tuned
Originally Posted by 4B11TX
It is easy to make them do both with a single relay. I attached the schematic from another thread.
Thanks for that! Would you mind providing a link to the thread?

Old 02-22-2022, 01:51 PM
bigred460ci
Tuned
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Can easily do both. Tons of reading on the subject.
See post #7. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...er-lights.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ht-set-up.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...th-pics-5.html

Quick Reply: Thoughts on adding reverse lights and where is reverse wire?