1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

1985 E-350 Van - Handle to hood opening broke off. What can I do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2022, 11:21 AM
Truan
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1985 E-350 Van - Handle to hood opening broke off. What can I do?

I have an e350 van that I've been working on, and a few days ago the handle for the hood latch broke off, and now I can't get it open. I don't know how to replace this without opening the hood, and I can't grab the end with needle nose pliers

does anyone have a solution, or is this something a shop is going to have to take care of?

Old 02-07-2022, 12:00 PM
tabijan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 164 Likes on 154 Posts
I’m not familiar with that year van so this is a generic suggestion. Looks like you have to cut through the sheath to expose enough cable to grip and pull. You might spray penetrant and/or lube through the grill to the latch to get things moving more freely. Maybe spray into the open end of the cable too.

Sixto
07 E350 5.4 178K miles

Old 02-07-2022, 02:44 PM
Hank85713
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
if its hooked to a cable you might be able to reach up from under the vehicle by removing the front plastic cover if there is one and reaching for the latch/cable to open???

Old 02-07-2022, 07:38 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 978 Likes on 772 Posts
No way that is a factory part with a key in it, looks more like a canopy handle to me. Regardless... if you remove the two bolts holding the mount under the dash you may get some more slack in the cable and be able to get a set of pliers on the end of it. If not cut or crush the mount away from the cable, it's not likely the replacement cable will look anything like that one so you don't need to save it.

After doing a little more digging it appears this locking hood release deal was a real thing, but I don't know why and can't recall ever seeing it back in the day. I think my statement above still applies though because what are the chances of finding one of those to replace it, the cable pictured above is probably more widely available.

Old 02-08-2022, 04:03 AM
manicmechanic007
Lead Driver
Received 1,064 Likes on 967 Posts
Yes that is a factory hood release (note the Ford key in it)
You will want to replace the cable assembly if it's still available
Shop? Although an ignorant job fishing the cable through to the grille I think you can do it
Tie a piece of wire to it and pull it through
That way you use the wire to pull the new one through

Old 02-18-2022, 09:02 PM
Truan
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Conanski
No way that is a factory part with a key in it, looks more like a canopy handle to me. Regardless... if you remove the two bolts holding the mount under the dash you may get some more slack in the cable and be able to get a set of pliers on the end of it. If not cut or crush the mount away from the cable, it's not likely the replacement cable will look anything like that one so you don't need to save it.

After doing a little more digging it appears this locking hood release deal was a real thing, but I don't know why and can't recall ever seeing it back in the day. I think my statement above still applies though because what are the chances of finding one of those to replace it, the cable pictured above is probably more widely available.
how can I find that part? I'm looking up 1985 ford e350 hood release, but I'm only getting the cables and not the handles

Old 02-19-2022, 04:32 AM
manicmechanic007
Lead Driver
They are rare indeed
I thought they only came on Bronco or F150
I cannot recall ever seeing one on a van until this post

Old 02-19-2022, 04:33 AM
manicmechanic007
Lead Driver
Old 02-19-2022, 09:29 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 978 Likes on 772 Posts
Originally Posted by Truan
how can I find that part? I'm looking up 1985 ford e350 hood release, but I'm only getting the cables and not the handles
This seems a bit expensive to me but it's an example.. 1983-1987 Ford Econoline Factory Hood Release Cable E100 E150 E250 E350 | eBay

Old 02-19-2022, 10:45 AM
tabijan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 164 Likes on 154 Posts
Can you retrofit an outside access hood release from a ‘70s van? I doubt miscreants today know that used to be a thing. Like non locking fuel caps.

Sixto
07 E350 5.4 178K miles

Old 02-19-2022, 12:13 PM
annaleigh
Logistics Pro
Received 167 Likes on 154 Posts
Did you ever get the hood open? If the cable is accessible under the dash but not pliers then you might try to cut the outer sheath so you can get to the cable. Do not cut too ,much because you want to save as much cable as you can in case you can repair it.
On my 88 van there is a cover plate you can just barely see through the grille. If you can get that cover plate off then you might be able to unlock the latch. I believe there is 1 small bolt holding it on.

Here is some info for original parts as well as original ford cable without lock.

-

-

Also this site will give you somewhat of an idea how it all works...
https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/hood-latch.html

Another thought is if you think that you can dissemble the pull handle you have and reconnect a new cable to it, below are some cables you might be able to use. Of course the truck and bronco cables would be too long so you would have to cut them.
make sure the cable has the crimped loop on the latch end.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/27514966032...AAAOSwOpFh-Ub3

Then there is the correct non locking one Conanski gave you a link to.

Old 02-20-2022, 03:31 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 92 Likes on 87 Posts
Wow, it has been a long time since I've seen one of those, forgot all about them, I don't even think Bronco graveyard has them.

Old 02-24-2022, 09:12 AM
Truan
Freshman User
Originally Posted by annaleigh
Did you ever get the hood open? If the cable is accessible under the dash but not pliers then you might try to cut the outer sheath so you can get to the cable. Do not cut too ,much because you want to save as much cable as you can in case you can repair it.
On my 88 van there is a cover plate you can just barely see through the grille. If you can get that cover plate off then you might be able to unlock the latch. I believe there is 1 small bolt holding it on.

Here is some info for original parts as well as original ford cable without lock.

-

-

Also this site will give you somewhat of an idea how it all works...
https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/hood-latch.html

Another thought is if you think that you can dissemble the pull handle you have and reconnect a new cable to it, below are some cables you might be able to use. Of course the truck and bronco cables would be too long so you would have to cut them.
make sure the cable has the crimped loop on the latch end.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/27514966032...AAAOSwOpFh-Ub3

Then there is the correct non locking one Conanski gave you a link to.
Unfortunately the van is 2 hours away so I haven't been able to work on it. getting it towed up here soon though so I'll be able to try this. thanks for the advice!

Old 03-17-2022, 08:33 PM
Truan
Freshman User
Ok I got the van towed up, and I'm just having trouble figuring out what to order. when I look up the parts for hood release for my van, all that comes up are the cables and not the handle. What should I be looking up for that?

Old 03-20-2022, 01:54 PM
annaleigh
Logistics Pro
Received 167 Likes on 154 Posts
I do not see a non locking cable listed. I am not sure why.

What I do see is the section outlined in red which shows part number #D8UZ-16700-A listed at the top center. Below that it states "consists of". So that is a kit that includes the latch, cable , handle, screws, bracket, ect. It is a kit. I looked up D8UZ-16700 on eBay and found a seller claiming to have one for sell.. BUT it appears to be only the hood latch without any of the accessories. The box is labeled with correct part number so perhaps the seller believes that the latch is all there is to it but that is not correct. It is a kit. So be careful that all the parts are there if you find another kit.

In the list of "consists of" you will see D8UZ-16914-A Handle and Cable. That is the part you need.

If yo look just below the red outlined column you will see 80/86 E100/350 Key operated hood lock part number D8UZ16914-A. That is the listing for the cable and handle separate from the kit..

Quick Reply: 1985 E-350 Van - Handle to hood opening broke off. What can I do?