Sponsored by:

Identify deleted engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2021, 08:19 AM
LonestarFlyer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Identify deleted engine

I'm shopping for an F-350 and I would like to learn how to visually identify whether an engine has been deleted, aka had the exhaust gas recirculation system circumvented. I've searched for photos about this online with no luck so I thought I could appeal to the expertise on this community.

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you!

Old 11-01-2021, 08:47 AM
Marine142
5th Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
passenger side of engine. if you can see the valve cover and it has block off plates on it and the exhaust looking pipe. it's been egr deleted.
https://www.powerstroke.org/attachme...076-jpg.41007/

Old 11-01-2021, 12:41 PM
LonestarFlyer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for insight!

Old 12-10-2021, 08:51 PM
Antonm
Laughing Gas
Received 362 Likes on 234 Posts
The EGR system varies a lot from engine to engine (i.e. the 6.0 EGR is different from the 6.4, which is different from the 6.7).

So you’ll need to know what to look for on the specific engine you’re looking at.

I can say for certain that there are no plates on the valve covers of the 6.0 and 6.4 PSD trucks.
​​​​.

Old 12-14-2021, 08:40 PM
AK4x4
Tuned
Received 85 Likes on 50 Posts
In addition to the different engines, there are many different methods to "delete" an engine. Some delete methods (stealth deletes) are specifically designed so they cannot be visually detected. In today's political environment I would not want a deleted truck, and if I had a previously deleted truck I would un-delete it promptly. Any knowledgeable, properly equipped, diesel shop can determine if the truck has been deleted. Good Luck, Russ

Old 12-16-2021, 10:18 AM
Antonm
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by AK4x4
In addition to the different engines, there are many different methods to "delete" an engine. Some delete methods (stealth deletes) are specifically designed so they cannot be visually detected. In today's political environment I would not want a deleted truck, and if I had a previously deleted truck I would un-delete it promptly. Any knowledgeable, properly equipped, diesel shop can determine if the truck has been deleted. Good Luck, Russ
Any shop with a basic computer scan tool should be able to tell if a trucks been deleted. They really don’t have to be that “ knowledgeable, properly equipped”.

The nice scan tool I bought from autozone ( about $200 at the time) has that ability ( at least for 6.0 trucks tuned with SCT and 6,4 trucks tuned with Spartan/ Patriot tuners).

I suppose it’s possible if you’re a hardcore computer nerd with the proper equipment to bury the EGR delete software somewhere that it doesn’t easily return when scanned, but with the two commercially available tuners I have experience with (SCT and Spartan) , they show up on a basic scan ( neither had the check engine light illuminated when scanned either).
​​​​​.

Old 12-27-2021, 11:56 AM
smcrea
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AK4x4
Thanks for the input, but could you please tell me why? All of the research that I've done shows that a deleted truck is way better. Better Performance, better fuel economy and the big one for me is that its way more reliable. The emissions stuff is a lot of trouble. I bought my 2016 F350 brand new and the only trouble that I ever had was related to the emissions stuff. I've told myself that if I have one more thing go wrong that is emissions related then its going to go in for a delete :-)

Old 12-28-2021, 08:01 PM
Wheeler.M1
Mountain Pass
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by smcrea
Thanks for the input, but could you please tell me why? All of the research that I've done shows that a deleted truck is way better. Better Performance, better fuel economy and the big one for me is that its way more reliable. The emissions stuff is a lot of trouble. I bought my 2016 F350 brand new and the only trouble that I ever had was related to the emissions stuff. I've told myself that if I have one more thing go wrong that is emissions related then its going to go in for a delete :-)
Depending on what state your in, looking at Cali here 🥸 you can get biiiig fines. Deleting emissions is a felony I believe. Of course you only become a felon if you get caught. The EPA is full of it and are stunting diesels from becoming more efficient because of emissions. It's in my opinion that of you're going to delete it have your inspections done at shop that's friendly towards it. Maybe a diesel performance shop can do an inspection. Also, money under ones nose works magic😉

Old 12-31-2021, 03:04 PM
AK4x4
Tuned
Received 85 Likes on 50 Posts
The IM situation is very frustrating. IMO, the best, cleanest, and lowest maintenance diesel is one with no "emissions" equipment at all. All of the current Government mandated systems and equipment run up maintenance costs, reduce reliability, harm fuel economy etc. Engines with the current required IM equipment use at least 30% more fuel than they otherwise would, without the equipment, so by unnecessarily burning MORE fuel the actual total emissions are increased. DEF fluid is toxic, and all current trucks use gallons of the stuff, and where does it go? Yes, indeed even more unnecessary pollution. Government IM rules prohibit emission testing during a regen cycle, but if you test anyway, pollution is sky high. Then we get to DPF filters, catalytic converters and so forth which on modern trucks are very expensive consumables that wind up in the land fill resulting in even more pollution. Only government is capable of this level of delusion, in believing this is somehow cleaner or better.
HOWEVER, deletes are not a quick fix solution. Unfortunately, the PCM operating software is programed with the premise that the IM equipment is installed so just removing or disabling it will have unintended consequences. As an example, on my truck, deleting will result in the cooling system no longer operating as programed and the potential for engine failure when towing at max gross, in hot conditions. When deleted the PCM doesn't properly control the cooling fan and at high load high power the PCM will command EGR flow to reduce peak combustion temps, but that can't happen because the EGR was deleted. Modern engines are complex, integrated systems, not just an assembly of various parts. So, if you want to alter the system while maintaining reliability, you need to know, understand, and re-program the operating software.
The other 800lb gorilla in the room, is the government, removing or disabling mandated IM equipment is illegal in all 50 states (IT IS A FEDERAL CRIME) in addition many states have local laws that make it illegal at the state and local level. Various government agencies have been aggressively taking action against businesses that sell, support, perform, or even overlook deletes. No car dealer can legally sell a vehicle that has been deleted. Here in Alaska (no IM testing) a local exhaust shop was heavily fined by the EPA for installing an exhaust system on a truck without a catalytic converter. The truck came in the door with no exhaust installed and the truck owner supplied the aftermarket exhaust. But the shop was fined. Government enforcement of IM is just getting started, and its just getting worse from here, so unfortunately, despite pollution and an economic downside MY truck will be IM compliant. Good Luck, Russ

Old 01-01-2022, 05:32 AM
Marine142
5th Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How many private citizens were fined or imprisoned for defeating or removing emission equipment on their personal vehicles by the EPA? I've found none. It's always Companies and/or owners of companies who get the fines. and it's always a FINE btw.. because it's all about the money. The bureaucrats really don't give a crap about the environment but the mighty dollar. Local law enforcement might slap you with a ticket but that's again a fine and probably not enough incentive to cause a person to NOT remove emission equipment.

So the "it's a federal crime" thing really makes that 800lb gorilla seem like a bag full of farts for the DIY mechanic removing things from his/her personal vehicle. Private citizens who wish to defeat or remove emission equipment will always find someone willing to sell them the tools to do it. The only difference would be the cost of said tools.

Until all states (and all counties within all states) impose emission testing for registration https://www.jittruckparts.com/blog/p...ssions-testing will the 800lb gorilla be alive and well. but then again it's all about money and politics so that's doubtful.

my 2 cents anyway.

Old 01-01-2022, 10:24 AM
Antonm
Laughing Gas
The commie left doesn’t care about the environment, and while they do care about money somewhat, what they care most about is CONTROL. They want to be able to unilaterally control everything, and the EPA / the environment cause, is just one of the ways they’re going about advancing their agenda. The sad part is, it’s working pretty dang well.
​​​​​.

Old 01-09-2022, 10:17 PM
robert sloane
Laughing Gas
Received 299 Likes on 208 Posts
we need the saudi arabia tune for the ecm, it is ford factory programming that has no egr, dpf, cat or def system , but truck runs cool, tows like its supposed to and gets great mpg.

i am surprised no one from ford or a computer nerd has not got a copy of that factory load.

Old 01-13-2022, 02:02 PM
Wheeler.M1
Mountain Pass
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by robert sloane
we need the saudi arabia tune for the ecm, it is ford factory programming that has no egr, dpf, cat or def system , but truck runs cool, tows like its supposed to and gets great mpg.

i am surprised no one from ford or a computer nerd has not got a copy of that factory load.
​​​​​​
Could you explain more on this? Never heard of it and my browser isn't yielding results. Sounds very intriguing.