1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

just another "Iola Swap Meet" thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2021, 03:31 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,130 Likes on 822 Posts
Craig and I just got home a little while ago. I would have got home sooner, we packed up and left the swap grounds at 6:00pm but my brother and his wife were kind enough to allow us to park my son Andy's camper in their yard. They live about thirty minutes from the Krause Publishing grounds, the event host. We stay the night and visited it a little this morning.

All the other said, the weather was perfect. Usually Iola is held during the driest, hottest time of the year. It takes a lot out of you to be able to cover the entire grounds, you can do it in a day but that is really pushing it. This year the weather was perfect, I don't think it got above 80° all week and most times there was clouds and a cool breeze coming through. Unfortunately, Craig and I weren't able to do much looking because one of us had to stay with our swap space. Never failed the time either of us tried to look around someone came up interested in an item we were selling and we call each other to come back to our spot. Neither of us felt comfortable trying to do a deal on each other's parts, or as my wife refers to it, "junk". The couple of times I ventured out I found the place overwhelming. The one negative I have about this years swap was there was not consistency. Usually I find at swap meets sellers' items would be centered around certain vehicles. Like me, all of my parts were '48-52 Ford truck and '37/38 Buick parts. Most times sellers seem to have excess parts from their project so it's fairly easy to go up and down the aisles see what people are selling. Most sellers this time, at least what I thought I saw, was they had parts from everything in their spots, parts from cars from the 30s to the new, cars, trucks and motor cycles. It was hard for me to see what they all had. Also, my cell phone reception was horrid. I have Verizon and didn't have a good connect, phone or internet, at the show or I would have been replying to this post sooner and more often.

Other than the above it was a really good time, the weather was great and I sold a lot. Didn't achieve my goal of having an empty truck and trailer and full wallet but got rid of a lot of stuff and my wallet came back a lot healthier than when I left.

Just a little non related Ford truck item. I saw this 1929 Edison Electric car at the Allenton Wisconsin car show last weekend which just up the highway from my house and again at Iola this weekend. I talked to the owner at both shows. This was his mother's car. I saw this car numerous times back in the early '80s being driven by a little old lady along a busy street in the city of Bayside, a city on the north east edge of Milwaukee. I drove a delivery truck for an auto part store back then and I must have passed this car a dozen times in the year and half I worked at the parts store. I know it had to be the current owner's mother because even back in the '80s there weren't too many blue Edison Electric cars tooling down the road. The owner said his mother lived in that area and would take the car out to lunch at her favorite fancy restaurant and would not allow the valet to park it.

Old 07-11-2021, 03:56 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,130 Likes on 822 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 USCG Panel
Speaking of, "Good Stuff". Seeing one of these was a highlight for me:

I had one as my first car in college. Mine was white with a light green roof. It was fast--beautiful--and just a little different. A four barrel carb, duel exhaust, swivel bucket seats, and an automatically dimming rear view mirror--What more could a young man need? The example at Iola looked very correct, except for the interior--which was nice, but not redone like the original.

Jim
I wouldn't kick out of my garage.

Old 07-12-2021, 08:49 AM
thundersnow70
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Like everyone has said it was a good time. Good to put a face to some user names. Bob J got there later Wednesday so i would disagree with the weather comment. Rain, rain rain Wed morning. I didn't bring boots and it took two days for my tennis shoes to dry out. We didn't shop much. Four now tires and a couple other bits. Like Stu we are formulating a 2022 plan. All in all we had success our first year selling.