1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

E40D slips in 3rd, ONLY after downshifting from OD

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2021, 09:35 AM
rgnprof
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E40D slips in 3rd, ONLY after downshifting from OD

This problem just started. I have a ‘93 E350 ClassC motor home. If I turn OD off on shifter - no problems - RV runs fine. If I turn on OD it runs fine UNTIL the tranny downshifts in to 3rd (up a hill). Then it will ‘slip’ or ‘bucks’ in 3rd until I turn the OD off and then it starts running fine again.

Any thoughts?

thanks, ryan

Old 06-13-2021, 10:22 AM
rgnprof
Cross-Country
Couple of additional notes - just checked the fluid - it’s full, red and doesn’t smell burnt at all. I have a trans temp gauge and trans temp hardly ever goes above 165F.
Transmission was rebuilt 3 years ago (<10k miles). Just pulled back on interstate and shifts fine up through 3rd gear (I turned OD off).

Old 06-13-2021, 10:42 AM
NICKSAN
Laughing Gas
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Start with pulling codes. Yours is going to be OBD1 and there is a pretty good scanner available or you can do the jumper wire on the diagnostic plugs and count the flashes from the check engine light on the dash.
There are some good videos online on how to do this or you can check out Mark Kavolsy`s link here. http://www.troublecodes.net/ford

I had my E4OD rebuilt about 5 years ago and now its acting up, (slamming into reverse, fluid looks new and does not smell) needless to say I am very upset.

Good Luck!

Old 06-13-2021, 08:20 PM
rgnprof
Cross-Country
Stopped for the night - tried to use my Ford code reader but it won't come on - not sure what's going on with it (haven't used it in a while). Changed out the batteries several times, but it won't power up.

If I don't turn off the OD before starting out I can't get the motorhome in gear (except reverse) - turn off the OD and everything seems to work as normal.

ryan

Old 06-13-2021, 08:34 PM
rgnprof
Cross-Country
Just able to pull a code - 553 AIRD Solenoid/Circuit failure

What does this mean?

Old 06-13-2021, 09:27 PM
NICKSAN
Laughing Gas
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
A quick search found this:
https://www.2carpros.com/questions/1...0-trouble-code

Down about half way you will find this:

" 8) Codes 81/553 & 82/552 :
Codes 81/553 and 82/552 indicate voltage output for secondary air injection solenoid did not change when activated. Possible causes for this fault are:

AIRB/AIRD circuit(s) shorted or open.
Fault in solenoid or PCM.

Disconnect both solenoid connectors. Turn ignition on. Measure voltage between VPWR terminal of wiring harness connector and battery ground for both solenoids. If either voltage reading is less than 10.5 volts, repair wiring harness open circuit, and repeat QUICK TEST. If both readings are 10.5 volts or more, go to step 9). "

Sounds like a short in the wiring harness or a bad PCM/Computer.

Good Luck!

Old 06-13-2021, 09:55 PM
rgnprof
Cross-Country
Thank you for the reply! Do you think this has anything to do with my OD transmission problem?

Old 06-13-2021, 10:01 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,580 Likes on 1,058 Posts
Originally Posted by rgnprof
If I don't turn off the OD before starting out I can't get the motorhome in gear (except reverse) - turn off the OD and everything seems to work as normal.
That indicates that the overdrive one way clutch has failed. The trans needs to be rebuilt or replaced.

The good news is that as long as you leave the OD off you can usually still drive the vehicle.

Originally Posted by rgnprof
Just able to pull a code - 553 AIRD Solenoid/Circuit failure

What does this mean?
It doesn't mean anything towards the transmission problem.

Old 06-14-2021, 07:51 AM
rgnprof
Cross-Country
Thank you Mark. That provides some peace of mind as we continue to head home.

So - how long can I drive it like this? Is this OD completely unrelated to the operation of gears 1-3? I've been told that since this is a motorhome, OD was never really intended to be used for that heavy application anyway...

Old 06-14-2021, 02:19 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

I don't know how long, but I think it will get you home.

Also, I misspoke. The problem is the forward clutch, not the overdrive one way clutch. The only difference between automatic first and manual first is that the low/reverse clutch is on in manual 1, and this is taking the load that the forward clutch should handle.

When I was a Ford we had an Expedition with a 4R100 that was used to chase parts and general transportation. It had this failure. Our shop was so busy working on test vehicles that we used that truck for at least six months like that before we had an opening to get the trans repaired.

And overdrive was intended to be used in the motorhome.

Old 06-15-2021, 05:10 PM
rgnprof
Cross-Country
Thanks for the response - we made it home a bit ago with no trouble. Everything works fine as long as I keep the OD off...

I'm hoping the shop that rebuilt my transmission 3 summers ago (2018) will cut me a break. They only offer a year warranty, but I really expected this to last a bit longer. Did they do something wrong?

ryan

Old 06-18-2021, 09:02 AM
rgnprof
Cross-Country
"The only difference between automatic first and manual first is that the low/reverse clutch is on in manual 1, and this is taking the load that the forward clutch should handle."

I need to clarify because I just can't find anything online that would explain my symptoms. I am not using 'manual first', so I may not have clearly indicated my problem. When I start up the RV the default is for the OD to be ON and if I leave OD ON and I drop the transmission in to DRIVE, it won't go in to gear and stays in Neutral. Sometimes it will try to engage...
But, if I turn the OD off using the button on the end of the shifter (and the OD off light comes on) then the RV shifts normally in to gear up to third gear and drives fine. Also, if I don't turn the OD off until I have moved the shifter to DRIVE, I can feel a noticeable lurch in the transmission when I press the OD button (Don't notice that if I turn the OD off while the trans is still PARK).

Also - the OD light is not blinking at all!

Any ideas at all?
Mark - you may have understood me perfectly, but the only other thread that I could find that came close to addressing my problem suggested that the 'low one way clutch' could be broke, but I've also seen a lot of references to electrical/sensor issues - possibly?

Thanks in advance!
ryan

Old 06-18-2021, 07:15 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

The low one way clutch is holding anytime the trans is in first gear. It doesn't matter if OD is on or off. So I don't think that's the problem.

I'm getting old, and I worked on these in the 90's. I am going back to the OD one way clutch being the problem. I talked myself out of it before, but now I'm certain that is the problem.

When the OD is turned off the coast clutch is engaged. This will hold the overdrive unit, which is what the overdrive one way clutch is working.

The bottom line is that no matter which one way clutch failed, the trans needs to come out and get rebuilt or replaced.

Old 07-29-2021, 05:50 PM
rgnprof
Cross-Country
Thought I would provide a quick update (I've been busy doing front end work). Drove RV to get it aligned - same problems (runs fine if OD is turned OFF) - but I tried turning OD on when going around 50 mph and RV shifted into OD and drove fine (don't know if this changes anything or not, but thought I would throw it out there...) UNTIL it downshifted and it felt like it was in neutral again (instead of 3rd). I would step on gas and transmission just wasn't engaged. If I turn off the OD, then I'm back in 3rd and everything is fine.

I decided to replace the MLPS (hoping maybe the problems were electrical) in part because I still had the original 1993 switch installed. Didn't help...

Next step??? Any suggestions?

I'm planning to take it back to the shop that rebuilt it just 3 years - and 10-12K miles ago, but I'm not sure I have much confidence in them.

Thanks.

Old 07-29-2021, 08:31 PM
rgnprof
Cross-Country
Mark,
I just ran across this thread - https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-all-ok-2.html - and the problems described match mine very closely, except for the fact that this thread is about a 4R100.

Given that this transmission was rebuilt only 3 years ago, fluid is red and smells fine and it has not overheated at all - am I looking at a total rebuild? Or can one just replace the OD clutch? I can pull the trans myself and I do most repairs (even rebuilt an engine once), but I've never worked on a transmission.

Advice?

Quick Reply: E40D slips in 3rd, ONLY after downshifting from OD