1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZF6 Pilot Bushing

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2021, 01:40 PM
WesV
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZF6 Pilot Bushing

Hi guys,
First post even though I have been a member for years. Thought I would toss this out for opinions.

Truck: 2003 F350 7.3 ZF6 4wd 328k miles.

Problem: I replaced the clutch with a new Southbend single disc back in March. I used the Fitzall input shaft repair kit and now I have the trans back out because the roller bearing included with the Fitzall kit is completely trashed. The repair sleeve looks lightly flattened on the end so that it isn't perfectly round and i wonder if on install it got bound up and never sat in the bearing perfectly. Needless to say the sleeve is trashed as well so I need to replace it. I have posted a message to @SkySkiJason hopefully to get his oilite bushing kit but I also need to remove the old sleeve.

Question: What is the best way to remove the sleeve from the shaft? I am thinking a dremel (which I will need to buy since mine is currently dead) but it is high carbon steel if I am not mistaken and I don't know how a dremel will do. I have tried heating it a bit with the Oxy/Acet torch but I don't want to get the shaft too hot and mess up something else. THought about air chisel but afraid to dig into the input shaft.

So hit me with your thoughts.

Thanks
WesV

Old 06-09-2021, 04:45 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 2,041 Likes on 1,209 Posts
I hate that the fitzall didn’t last long. I’m not sure about removing the sleeve. A cutoff wheel will cut it, but I’d be afraid to nick the shaft and create a stress riser that could lead to failure.

The problem with standard bearings is there is no way to lubricate them while in service. It was discussing this problem with my tool and die maker/machine shop friends that led us to use the self-lubricating oilite bronze and make a bushing.

We may have one left, but it is not cut for the sleeve. I can see what the schedule looks like, but my friend that helps me make these is really busy these days and it’s been hard to find time to make another batch of these.

Old 06-09-2021, 06:09 PM
WesV
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
I hate that the fitzall didn’t last long. I’m not sure about removing the sleeve. A cutoff wheel will cut it, but I’d be afraid to nick the shaft and create a stress riser that could lead to failure.

The problem with standard bearings is there is no way to lubricate them while in service. It was discussing this problem with my tool and die maker/machine shop friends that led us to use the self-lubricating oilite bronze and make a bushing.

We may have one left, but it is not cut for the sleeve. I can see what the schedule looks like, but my friend that helps me make these is really busy these days and it’s been hard to find time to make another batch of these.
Thanks for the quick reply. I have a couple of the Dorman bushings I can have machined out locally if need be but I still need the repair sleeve.

I think some of my problem if not all of it came from the clutch plate being slightly off center due to not having the plastic bushing like dieselsite puts in its kits for the alignment tool. If I can't get one from you I might try the diesel site kit.