Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Installed the Roadmaster Active Suspension kit on my 2019 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2021, 12:50 PM
jav_eee
Laughing Gas
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Installed the Roadmaster Active Suspension kit on my 2019 4x4

So after adding a toolbox and a B&W turnover hitch I found the rear of my truck sat 1/4” lower than the front. I wanted something to give a little height but also wanted something to stop the very noticeable axle wrap. So I tired the RAS. Rear end is 3/4” higher now (I added a brush guard up front so that difference might’ve been less without it) but most importantly I can no longer feel the axle wrap. Also, I used to feel a bounce when the gears would change that felt just like the axle wrap did. All that is GONE. What a difference. Can’t speak too much on the load handling as I haven’t gotten to test that out yet but if anyone feels their axle wrap or the same weird bounciness during gear changes I highly recommend these. Buy them from Amazon so that if you don’t feel like they make a difference you can return them easily.

also there was hardly any noticeable changes to how the rear suspension felt over stock.

Old 04-02-2021, 10:40 PM
cps
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I installed mine a couple weeks ago. Really nice for pulling my boat and trailer,feels a lot more stable. And when empty the ride is great,not harsh, maybe a little less bounce in the rear. Highly recommend them if you are towing. Another bonus is you can adjust the firmness of the springs easily.

Old 04-03-2021, 06:56 AM
DaltJo2000
Mountain Pass
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
I completely agree, I've had mine installed for a few weeks now and have hauled with it quite a bit, various loads such as a chipper, 10,000 lbs equipment trailer, tandem axle Diamond-C Low Pro Dump trailer etc. And it handles it well and reduced the squat A LOT!

Old 04-03-2021, 03:39 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 456 Likes on 332 Posts
Very cool concept. Have never owned this part, but have been keeping my eyes on it. I don't tow a ton. Anyone have thoughts on these vs the Torklift Stableloads? Seems to a different way to do roughly the same thing.

Old 04-04-2021, 07:37 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by seventyseven250
Very cool concept. Have never owned this part, but have been keeping my eyes on it. I don't tow a ton. Anyone have thoughts on these vs the Torklift Stableloads? Seems to a different way to do roughly the same thing.
Torklift puts a wedge between the overload and the leafpack.
RAS uses the coil spring in their system to preload the arch, so you won't get the slap off the overloads like you will with Torklift. The unloaded ride with RAS is outstanding. This is my third truck with them installed.

Old 04-04-2021, 08:05 AM
johnday
Cargo Master
Received 257 Likes on 112 Posts
I've thought the RAS to be the way to go just for the axle wrap, loads would be a bonus for me. How do these hold up as far as corrosion in places that have winter?

Old 04-04-2021, 10:03 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 456 Likes on 332 Posts
Originally Posted by MCDavis
RAS uses the coil spring in their system to preload the arch, so you won't get the slap off the overloads like you will with Torklift. The unloaded ride with RAS is outstanding. This is my third truck with them installed.
Yeah, sounds about right. Some drawbacks from the cheaper Torklift system. Still, it's cheaper, so it's an option.

Old 04-05-2021, 10:29 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Originally Posted by johnday
I've thought the RAS to be the way to go just for the axle wrap, loads would be a bonus for me. How do these hold up as far as corrosion in places that have winter?
VA DOT uses a nasty salt brine. I've used Fluid Film in the past, and now I'm using Mavcoat on my suspension components. Holds up well it appears. I didn't have issues with the FF on the prior two applications over about 5 years of use total.

Originally Posted by seventyseven250
Yeah, sounds about right. Some drawbacks from the cheaper Torklift system. Still, it's cheaper, so it's an option.
I admire the Torklift system, but engaging it always seems like a hassle (in my opinion).

Old 04-05-2021, 10:38 AM
johnday
Cargo Master
Received 257 Likes on 112 Posts
VA DOT uses a nasty salt brine. I've used Fluid Film in the past, and now I'm using Mavcoat on my suspension components. Holds up well it appears. I didn't have issues with the FF on the prior two applications over about 5 years of use total.
If I ever decide to get that RAS, that would be good idea. That FF and the WoolWax, are worth their weight in gold.

Old 04-05-2021, 12:56 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Originally Posted by johnday
If I ever decide to get that RAS, that would be good idea. That FF and the WoolWax, are worth their weight in gold.
I too like FF, however for areas with tight tolerances, I'm liking Mavcoat Steel Shield better. It actually dries, without being tacky. FF likes to attract dust. Mavcoat goes on clear with a blue tracer, and dries to a matte finish.

Old 04-29-2021, 07:27 AM
hillcountryflt
Cargo Master
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts
Just saw a reference touting the merits of RAS on one of my RV forums and a review in an on-line RV magazine. Sounds impressive. Suddenly, I am seriously considering any upgrade to my 2020 F150 4x4 lariat with 6.5 foot bed and V8. I tow monthly and my trailer is on the outer edge of my truck's capabilities (2800BH Grand Design Imagine) and while I don't have issues per se, I know I have had better towing experiences with the bigger trucks. Thinking this might make that extra bit of improvement. Now if I could get more torque out of that V8.

Old 05-01-2021, 08:38 AM
hillcountryflt
Cargo Master
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts
Went ahead and ordered the system. Looking forward to install and trying out. Have a short camping trip scheduled about 2 weeks.

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-15-2021, 08:12 PM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts
I just installed the RAS on my 2019 Lariat. Why I didn’t do this sooner I’ll never know. Even empty with no trailer, it’s like night snd day. Absolutely no body roll in turns, wheel hop is gone on hard acceleration, no bed bouncing on bumps, and the truck feels extremely planted all the time.

Now, I installed 3” rear blocks before installing the RAS because my stacked rear blocks that came with the 2-1/4” front level I thought were clapping on certain inclined turns. Since the stacked 1-1/4” factory rear and 1” added blocks were replaced with one 3”, the noise is gone. But, my level is now gone, and the 3/4” rake I had has got to be 2-1/2” to 3”. Not roadster, but more like original factory rake. I guess I have a Polish lift now. 😆 I don’t care. The ride and tow this weekend is unbelievably better. Now, I wonder if I want a Hensley or ProPride.

The following 3 users liked this post by smokewagun:
Old 04-06-2022, 10:23 AM
brashby
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about your truck set up

Hello MCDAVIS,
I have a few questions about your truck set up. I just installed a RAS HD on my 2018 F-150. It did increase the rear height of the truck by just over an inch. I was already thinking about installing a 2 inch level kit (puck style) on my truck. After installing the RAS the rake of the truck is even greater. I noticed from your pictures that you may have also installed a level kit to your truck and perhaps gotten larger tires. Is that true, and if so what leveling kit did you install & what size of tires did you put on it. Also, do tow anything with your truck? If so, with a leveling kit installed are you still able to maintain a level truck? By the way, I love the color of your truck. I also have the same Blue Jeans color on my truck and love it. Thanks!

Old 04-09-2022, 05:09 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Originally Posted by brashby
Hello MCDAVIS,
I have a few questions about your truck set up. I just installed a RAS HD on my 2018 F-150. It did increase the rear height of the truck by just over an inch. I was already thinking about installing a 2 inch level kit (puck style) on my truck. After installing the RAS the rake of the truck is even greater. I noticed from your pictures that you may have also installed a level kit to your truck and perhaps gotten larger tires. Is that true, and if so what leveling kit did you install & what size of tires did you put on it. Also, do tow anything with your truck? If so, with a leveling kit installed are you still able to maintain a level truck? By the way, I love the color of your truck. I also have the same Blue Jeans color on my truck and love it. Thanks!
Bilstein 5100s installed at 1.7" up front. And I'm running 275/65/20 tires. I have about 1" of rake with this setup. I've had as much as 1200lbs loaded in the bed and the truck sits just below level with that payload.