Crank but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2021, 09:56 AM
Reel Kahuna
Senior User
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Crank but won't start

2010 Van e350 5.4 with 55k original miles won't start.
I finished installing my trailer hitch, went to drive it back in the garage and engine cranked then battery died. I must have left the doors open with the interior lights on.
Charged battery to 13.5v and went to start it, cranked but engine didn't start. Noticed that the starter still cranking when I released the ignition key and had to turn it back to off position. Tried several time and same thing, no start and key had to be turn back to off position for starter to disengage. I checked all fuses under the hood which were all good.

I'm stumped.

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-01-2021, 07:13 PM
Reel Kahuna
Senior User
Been searching youtube for leads and came across this:
Tomorrow I'll test per instructions and hopefully it'll just be as simple as replacing the fuel pump driver module.
Fingers crossed and will report afterwards.

Old 01-02-2021, 09:00 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner

Received 1,409 Likes on 1,111 Posts
Your key sticking in the "start" position is internal to the steering column where the key lock cylinder is housed. Might need cleaned in slightly lubricated or the entire cylinder replaced.

Its fine following that YouTube advice how to check the FPDM but I'd first start by simply checking for fuel pressure on the rails at the test port. If there's no pressure there when the key is first turned to "run" and especially if FP doesn't begin to rise as you're cranking it then its time to move towards the FPDM and/or fuel pump itself.

Hope this doesn't turn into something expensive or tough to fix.

Old 01-02-2021, 07:35 PM
Reel Kahuna
Senior User
Key isn't sticking, it returns but the starter still cranks until the key is put back in the off position. I found this post that's the same thing what my starter is doing.
"5.4 flexfuel. I was doing more reading, and it seems the starter remaining engaged for a period of time is a "feature" of Fords.".
Can anybody confirm if that statement is correct?

Old 01-03-2021, 05:35 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by Reel Kahuna
Key isn't sticking, it returns but the starter still cranks until the key is put back in the off position. I found this post that's the same thing what my starter is doing.
"5.4 flexfuel. I was doing more reading, and it seems the starter remaining engaged for a period of time is a "feature" of Fords.".
Can anybody confirm if that statement is correct?
From where did that "thought" originate? Why would ANY vehicle manufacturer force the starter to remain engaged after the key cylinder is allowed to return to "run" from the "start" position? That makes no sense unless there's something to the FlexFuel option. It's NEVER been an issue posted here on FTE that I've read.

Old 01-03-2021, 09:13 AM
Reel Kahuna
Senior User
Originally Posted by JWA
... That makes no sense unless there's something to the FlexFuel option. It's NEVER been an issue posted here on FTE that I've read.
I agree that it makes no sense. Someone must have experience my starter issue that's why I'm asking. I didn't get a chance to check the FPDM yesterday but hopefully in the next day or two.

Old 01-06-2021, 08:53 AM
Reel Kahuna
Senior User
Tossing the towel in. Van is headed to the repair shop tomorrow.

Old 01-08-2021, 06:38 PM
Reel Kahuna
Senior User
Got the van back from the shop and was told that the wiring I cut thinking it was for the trailer 7 pin trailer was actually the fuel pump module...DUH.
At any event they soldered and heat shrink the wires back together and I'm good to go. They didn't mention anything about the starter issue.
BTW this is the first Ford I've ever owned and there certainly a learning curve to be had.

Old 01-10-2021, 05:05 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by Reel Kahuna
Got the van back from the shop and was told that the wiring I cut thinking it was for the trailer 7 pin trailer was actually the fuel pump module...DUH.
At any event they soldered and heat shrink the wires back together and I'm good to go. They didn't mention anything about the starter issue.
BTW this is the first Ford I've ever owned and there certainly a learning curve to be had.
Well that does suck and whether anyone else here admits to that same sort of thing trust me we've ALL been there, done that.