Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum48/)
-   -   Crank but won't start (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1647864-crank-but-wont-start.html)

Reel Kahuna 01-01-2021 09:56 AM

Crank but won't start

2010 Van e350 5.4 with 55k original miles won't start.
I finished installing my trailer hitch, went to drive it back in the garage and engine cranked then battery died. I must have left the doors open with the interior lights on.
Charged battery to 13.5v and went to start it, cranked but engine didn't start. Noticed that the starter still cranking when I released the ignition key and had to turn it back to off position. Tried several time and same thing, no start and key had to be turn back to off position for starter to disengage. I checked all fuses under the hood which were all good.

I'm stumped.

Reel Kahuna 01-01-2021 07:13 PM

Been searching youtube for leads and came across this:
Tomorrow I'll test per instructions and hopefully it'll just be as simple as replacing the fuel pump driver module.
Fingers crossed and will report afterwards.

JWA 01-02-2021 09:00 AM

Your key sticking in the "start" position is internal to the steering column where the key lock cylinder is housed. Might need cleaned in slightly lubricated or the entire cylinder replaced.

Its fine following that YouTube advice how to check the FPDM but I'd first start by simply checking for fuel pressure on the rails at the test port. If there's no pressure there when the key is first turned to "run" and especially if FP doesn't begin to rise as you're cranking it then its time to move towards the FPDM and/or fuel pump itself.

Hope this doesn't turn into something expensive or tough to fix.

Reel Kahuna 01-02-2021 07:35 PM

Key isn't sticking, it returns but the starter still cranks until the key is put back in the off position. I found this post that's the same thing what my starter is doing.
"5.4 flexfuel. I was doing more reading, and it seems the starter remaining engaged for a period of time is a "feature" of Fords.".
Can anybody confirm if that statement is correct?

JWA 01-03-2021 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Reel Kahuna (Post 19657775)
Key isn't sticking, it returns but the starter still cranks until the key is put back in the off position. I found this post that's the same thing what my starter is doing.
"5.4 flexfuel. I was doing more reading, and it seems the starter remaining engaged for a period of time is a "feature" of Fords.".
Can anybody confirm if that statement is correct?

From where did that "thought" originate? Why would ANY vehicle manufacturer force the starter to remain engaged after the key cylinder is allowed to return to "run" from the "start" position? That makes no sense unless there's something to the FlexFuel option. It's NEVER been an issue posted here on FTE that I've read.

Reel Kahuna 01-03-2021 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by JWA (Post 19658289)
... That makes no sense unless there's something to the FlexFuel option. It's NEVER been an issue posted here on FTE that I've read.

I agree that it makes no sense. Someone must have experience my starter issue that's why I'm asking. I didn't get a chance to check the FPDM yesterday but hopefully in the next day or two.

Reel Kahuna 01-06-2021 08:53 AM

Tossing the towel in. Van is headed to the repair shop tomorrow.

Reel Kahuna 01-08-2021 06:38 PM

Got the van back from the shop and was told that the wiring I cut thinking it was for the trailer 7 pin trailer was actually the fuel pump module...DUH.
At any event they soldered and heat shrink the wires back together and I'm good to go. They didn't mention anything about the starter issue.
BTW this is the first Ford I've ever owned and there certainly a learning curve to be had.

JWA 01-10-2021 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Reel Kahuna (Post 19667965)
Got the van back from the shop and was told that the wiring I cut thinking it was for the trailer 7 pin trailer was actually the fuel pump module...DUH.
At any event they soldered and heat shrink the wires back together and I'm good to go. They didn't mention anything about the starter issue.
BTW this is the first Ford I've ever owned and there certainly a learning curve to be had.

Well that does suck and whether anyone else here admits to that same sort of thing trust me we've ALL been there, done that.