2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Correct part number for fuel filters

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2020, 10:57 AM
open sky
Tuned
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Correct part number for fuel filters

Guys, I searched the forum and googled as well, cannot find the answer to my simple question: what is the correct fuel filter part number for my 2019 F-350 6.7? Here is what I found out so far.

Manual says FD-4625. Easy enough. I check Amazon, Advanced Auto Parts, and Rock Auto to compare prices, and see 2 different models: FD-4625 and FD-4625AA. Rock Auto shows both as correct fit for my truck, with AA version being $10 less. AAP only shows AA part as correct, while Amazon shows only non-AA part as correct. Google search leads me to believe (but no firm confirmation anywhere) that both filters are exactly the same, except that AA part is newer version and adds 2 clips to to engine compartment filter fuel line. So I open the hood to see if the clips are there on my 2019 truck, and they are. So now I am little more confused, since that would indicate the AA version is the one I need to get.

I don’t want to make it more complicated that it is, but this is my first diesel truck and I have never done fuel filter change before. I just hit 15K miles, and I am considering replacing them now vs. waiting until 30K miles. Again, I find manual not very helpful – it recommends 30K mile interval for standard duty, but 15K for severe duty which includes mostly heavy towing and heavy off-road use. Most of my miles are standard duty, maybe 4K miles towing fifth wheel trailer, some off-road miles in between. That leads me to believe I don’t fall into severe duty category, but looking at prices ($50-$65) is seems like a very cheap insurance to me.

So the question is would you change the filters now, and if so, which version is the one to get? And are the really identical so you can go with either one based on price?

Thank you!

Old 10-03-2020, 01:19 PM
jollyrogr
Cargo Master
Received 767 Likes on 404 Posts
To further add to the confusion, the interval really depends more on the quality of your fuel than what you're doing with the truck. A member just recently posted in this forum pics of his fuel filters that had 40k miles on them and they were clean because he filters all his fuel before putting it in the truck.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ss-or-not.html

Old 10-03-2020, 01:25 PM
F TOO FITTY
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my truck is an 18, and I didn't have an issue picking out the part number - its the 4625. But when you figure out which one you're going to use, perform the process when you have about 1/4 tank of fuel - less drainage out of your under-truck filter that way. And pack shop rags around the engine bay filter to catch drips.

Last piece of advice - make sure you get all 3 hoses on the engine bay filter correctly - otherwise you'll spray diesel all over the engine and have to play cleanup for a few hours. Ask me how I know

Old 10-03-2020, 01:51 PM
open sky
Tuned
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks for your replies. Yeah, I watched several YT videos, so I have the process memorized by now - low fuel tank level, rags in engine bay, triple-check all connections, 6-8 times pump priming for 30 seconds each before starting the engine. At this point, I just need to know which kit to order. On one website, the description for AA says "FD4625 HAS BEEN SUPERSEDED TO FD4625AA TO INCLUDE THE FUEL RETURN LINE CLIPS".

So I am making assumption that actual filters are identical and that the new kit adds those 2 clips I see on mine. Looking at Rock Auto website, the newer version with the clips sells for $8 less (instead of the same or more), so that adds to my confusion. Based on my experience, people on this board are collectively more knowledgeable than any dealer, so I figured someone here must know the answer.

Old 10-03-2020, 06:01 PM
RONMCHUGH
Romcjr

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by open sky
Thanks for your replies. Yeah, I watched several YT videos, so I have the process memorized by now - low fuel tank level, rags in engine bay, triple-check all connections, 6-8 times pump priming for 30 seconds each before starting the engine. At this point, I just need to know which kit to order. On one website, the description for AA says "FD4625 HAS BEEN SUPERSEDED TO FD4625AA TO INCLUDE THE FUEL RETURN LINE CLIPS".

So I am making assumption that actual filters are identical and that the new kit adds those 2 clips I see on mine. Looking at Rock Auto website, the newer version with the clips sells for $8 less (instead of the same or more), so that adds to my confusion. Based on my experience, people on this board are collectively more knowledgeable than any dealer, so I figured someone here must know the answer.
I agree with what you found , the only difference is the new part includes the clips , which I understand the oem's tend to break on removal .