1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Carburetor Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 03:32 PM
Sixtfour
Senior User
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TA455HO
The spacer plate might be something like this one, but tough to say for 100% sure. Sometimes they help with clearance issues and they can also help prevent boiling the fuel in the float bowl and passages because it provides a bit of a heat buffer between carb and manifold.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-2-bbl-...UAAOSwbWpeojSH
the spacer plate I have is 1/2 inch, I’m not sure 1/4 inch will be enuff.
it broke because it was “glued” to the manifold with gasket material. I have a suspicion is was already broke

Old 09-02-2020, 03:36 PM
TA455HO
Lead Driver
Received 547 Likes on 436 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixtfour
the spacer plate I have is 1/2 inch, I’m not sure 1/4 inch will be enuff.
it broke because it was “glued” to the manifold with gasket material. I have a suspicion is was already broke
Yeah, that's not the thickness you probably want. I hadn't noticed that third picture. I'll let you shop but you get the idea for sure.

Old 09-03-2020, 09:54 PM
Sixtfour
Senior User
I’m having no luck finding a spacer, I’ve been searching eBay and there’s a lot of 289 2bbl spacers. Do you think this will work?
here is a pic again of my manifold

eBay item number:

Old 09-03-2020, 10:11 PM
Christmas
Cargo Master
Received 341 Likes on 267 Posts
Napa has a selection of phenolic and aluminum spacers.

Old 09-04-2020, 06:35 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 70 Likes on 69 Posts
The 2100 style is sort of hard to find, don't know why. A bazillion 4 bbl aluminum jobs are a available. Be careful, the wrong spacer or carb from later years will leave a huge gaping void that no gasket will seal.

There was a guy on eBay offering them, complete with studs and hardware. Worse comes to worse, just make one. Trace it out with a gasket on a piece of 1/2" or 1" wood, get yer Barlow out and get to whittlin'. Wood makes an excellent insulator.

Old 09-04-2020, 03:48 PM
66v8baby
Fleet Mechanic
Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by TA455HO
The cover with 4 screws on the side - the accelerator pump cover - doesn't really even need a gasket because the arm is in a slot that is exposed to air anyway. It's the check valve that blocks a tiny opening to the float bowl at the lower edge of the check valve. Without the check valve or a bad check valve that lower hole is constantly exposed letting the float bowl drain into the accelerator pump cavity which then leaks out past the arm because it is not sealed.
The gasket is part of the accelerator pump, and it separates the fuel side from the lever side. The inside fills up with gas and when the pump is depressed, it is forced out the hole at the bottom as the umbrella valve is a one-way check valve. You should be able to see gas squirt into the venturis when you pull the throttle back. Get a good rebuild kit from someone like Gottafish and the only thing you need to do is make sure the cover isn't warped and the spring goes on the fuel side. Don't over tighten the screws as that will warp the cover. After gas has been through it, you will usually need to re-torque the screws as the gasket will swell and then shrink, and then you should be set for miles of smiles.

Old 09-04-2020, 07:26 PM
Sixtfour
Senior User
Originally Posted by Christmas
Napa has a selection of phenolic and aluminum spacers.
here is where I’m at. I went to Napa, let me say, I find the people there are knowledgeable and are on top of there game. I walked in and put the broken spacer down and instantly they said, sorry, that’s not obtainable, but! Look online for what you have and gave me a part number. My spacer is 1/2 inch, I found an n o s 1/4 inch spacer on eBay. It also should be noted they new the gasket I needed and explained why. Very helpful.
i went home, put a 1/4 inch piece of wood on the manifold and placed the carb on top, no issues with linkage. That left me with a carb leaking from the accelerator pump and power valve. Knowing my limitations, I packed it up and sent it to national carburetor in Jacksonville Fl. They will disassemble, rebuild, set all settings, and most important, run it to assure no leaks. I’ve used them before with no issues.

Old 09-17-2020, 01:49 PM
Sixtfour
Senior User
I sent the carburetor to national carburetor, in Jacksonville Florida. It was leaking from the accelerator pump, power valve was leaking as well.
They did a complete rebuild, cleaned it, ran it on an engine. I had It back in my hands in 8 days. There business platform is, just send it in, we will rebuild/repair etc, what ever It needs, one set price, no phone calls, it needs this or that for more money. Best of all, it looks nice, no leaks, and the truck runs amazing! I, a little heavy handed, snapped the fuel filter in the carb. I called them and they instructed me how to fix it.. pic included.
Definetly recommend them. I also found the correct spacer on eBay, it was thick enuff, no linkage binding. This project is done!
thanks for all the great help.