2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

F250 Bed Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 01:58 PM
karlrmac
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a Ford factory sprayed in liner and they were sprayed over, not removed from what I can see.

Old 06-24-2020, 02:03 PM
ForCal
Postmaster
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by karlrmac
I have a Ford factory sprayed in liner and they were sprayed over, not removed from what I can see.
No one debates that, thats standard procedure witht he Ford spray in liner.

Old 06-24-2020, 03:58 PM
Backnblack
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tom38
My 2020 came with a factory spray in liner bed liner, the bolts were sprayed over.
Bed prep on factory spray liners is a laugh. You can peel the liner out with a putty knife. Ask me how I know lol

Old 06-25-2020, 10:12 AM
whagen
Tuned
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
So much for it just being one bolt and one clips. Looks like the front and rear bolts are different and the clips are left and right.
https://www.tascaparts.com/auto-part...floor-pan-scat

The bolts look to be thread forming and the clips come without a thread. So they many not be a TTY, but rather a one time used because the thread formed in the nut are done when the bolt is installed the first time. Generally these types of hardware more likely to loosen once reused. They are used to reduce cost and make assembly easier. Threading nuts costs money and now there is no chance of cross threading. Those 4 nuts probably saved a few pennies if any, but saved a bundle not having to deal with cross threading.

The install torque the first time is much higher than anytime after that. So you'll likely have to guess what is the appropriate torque. If reusing, put some blue loctite on the threads and it will be find from loosening. Also do your best to make sure the bolt goes into the the nut it came out of.

Old 06-25-2020, 11:15 AM
BK39
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I pulled mine on both my 17 and 19 to install the factory puck system, reused bolts on both when going back together. No issues to date. Torqued to spec, moved on about my day. IMO, If you are worried, buy new for comfort, other then that just reuse them.

Old 07-21-2020, 11:27 AM
erikswedberg
Freshman User
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks to everyone who commented. I took the info that the bed bolts were TTY/one-time use only to the dealership, who agreed to put on new bolts for me at no cost.

The funny this is, the bolts look different than the ones that were on at first. The new ones are round with an inset torx-looking thing. I guess they'll work!

The guys at the dealership definitely treated me like a Pollyanna, though. I doubt they'll stop removing bolts as their default process for putting in bedliners in-house there.

Old 07-21-2020, 11:38 AM
ForCal
Postmaster
Originally Posted by erikswedberg
Thanks to everyone who commented. I took the info that the bed bolts were TTY/one-time use only to the dealership, who agreed to put on new bolts for me at no cost.

The funny this is, the bolts look different than the ones that were on at first. The new ones are round with an inset torx-looking thing. I guess they'll work!

The guys at the dealership definitely treated me like a Pollyanna, though. I doubt they'll stop removing bolts as their default process for putting in bedliners in-house there.
Sounds like the wrong bolts. I think that is what the previous gen bolts looked like and had a much lower torque spec (not saying the bolts are any weaker). Got a picture?

Old 07-30-2020, 09:43 PM
MNSuper
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For the people saying reusing them is no big deal I had mine sprayed by lineX. They removed the bolts. Two years later now my bolts come loose and I get a terrible creek over slow bumps. Tighten them and the sound goes away until they get loose again. Going to have to replace them all or do loctite.

Old 07-30-2020, 09:51 PM
ForCal
Postmaster
Originally Posted by MNSuper
For the people saying reusing them is no big deal I had mine sprayed by lineX. They removed the bolts. Two years later now my bolts come loose and I get a terrible creek over slow bumps. Tighten them and the sound goes away until they get loose again. Going to have to replace them all or do loctite.
Did you check the torque after they removed them? And have they loosened again after you torqued them to spec? 129 lb ft

I checked mine soon after being sprayed and they were nowhere near factory torque spec. That wasn't from reusing the bolts but rather improper torque used by LineX.

Old 07-31-2020, 07:19 AM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,827 Likes on 1,373 Posts
Originally Posted by MNSuper
2 years after my Line-X, and my bolts are still tight. Line-X doesn't employ mechanics, soooo....